Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How well is your UK Geography ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Impressive. Any work related reason why you know them all? I wouldn't know 90% :)

My previous job involved scheduling placements for people travelling to venues all the way across England as well as making thousands of calls over the years to different locations. My current job even more so as I do something similar, but I only look after the South East area. That said, I've always been fascinated by place names and counties since I was a kid. I used to study the maps to see where all the football teams came from.

There are only two English counties I haven't visited- Northumberland and Cornwall. This may be related to the lack of league football teams..

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
T
Sorry! Very sorry about your mother, but I laughed at that!

Not at all. So did she. It was a running family joke for many many years.
One of the last things she said was "I should've gone to bloody Hull." :lolol:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My previous job involved scheduling placements for people travelling to venues all the way across England as well as making thousands of calls over the years to different locations. My current job even more so as I do something similar, but I only look after the South East area. That said, I've always been fascinated by place names and counties since I was a kid. I used to study the maps to see where all the football teams came from.

There are only two English counties I haven't visited- Northumberland and Cornwall. This may be related to the lack of league football teams..
No cheating.

Pocklington.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Old Man of Hoy was featured quite often in climbing programmes. Pretty sure there was a live one once.

It was, some time in the late 60s. I'm pretty sure that it was actually the cover story on the Radio Times that week. Can't imagine a programme on climbing being such big news in the modern age - unless it was a bunch of celebrities doing it

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
No cheating.

Pocklington.

My brain tells me it's somewhere near Hull. So it's not in this country. Or some local Tykes would have you believe that.... :lolol:

I haven't been there. But Hull is the local City of Culture- or so I'm led to believe. I've been there so It can't get any better.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It was, some time in the late 60s. I'm pretty sure that it was actually the cover story on the Radio Times that week. Can't imagine a programme on climbing being such big news in the modern age - unless it was a bunch of celebrities doing it

Spit on [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] - 1967

"The stack was first climbed by mountaineers Chris Bonington, Rusty Baillie and Tom Patey in 1966. From 8–9 July 1967, an ascent featured in The Great Climb, a live BBC three-night outside broadcast, which had around 15 million viewers. This featured three pairs of climbers: Bonington and Patey repeated their original route, whilst two new lines were climbed by Joe Brown and Ian McNaught-Davis and by Pete Crew and Dougal Haston]

Red Szell became the first blind person to climb the Old Man, despite suffering from retinitis pigmentosa that left him with 5 per cent vision. With assistance from Martin Moran and Nick Carter, he scaled the stack in 2013.

There are seven routes up the stack, the most commonly used of which is the original landward facing E1 (Extremely Severe). A log book in a Tupperware container is buried in a cairn on the summit, as an ascensionists' record. As many as fifty ascents of the stack are made each year."

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
County Durham.
I have a photo of me and the family posing under the sign as you enter the village :lolol:

I'm sure that entering 'Battle of Stamford Bridge' would produce a rather mixed set of results in a search engine.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
There isn't a town in England for which I could not tell you its county.

I'm the same. Amazing memory for things like that, but not for a lot of other stuff!

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm the same. Amazing memory for things like that, but not for a lot of other stuff!

I have slightly chastened myself for the boldness of my suggestion. It should say that there isn't a town for which at some stage I didn't know its county.

I'm not sure at which stage I can use memory loss as an excuse.

I tested myself with the Albion surname of Baldock, guessing correctly from a narrowed choice of three counties. I don't know where Murray is though, but I'll console myself that it does sound Scottish. Sidwell could be an old mining town in the East Midlands.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Having spent some time in Kernow, Cornwall has the best names for towns & villages. Off the top of my head, 3 that spring to mind.
1. Praze-an-beeble.
2. London Apprentice.
3. Sticker

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here