Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Whelch

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
January 8

Paul has begun to wake up at last! It's very slow, and accompanied by lots of eye rolling and eyebrow raising and other indications that all this is a lot of fuss about nothing. Next big step is the breathing tube, but that still might be a few days.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Come on Paul - time to enjoy the spoils of all those battles in the archer years

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
January 8

Paul has begun to wake up at last! It's very slow, and accompanied by lots of eye rolling and eyebrow raising and other indications that all this is a lot of fuss about nothing. Next big step is the breathing tube, but that still might be a few days.
Very good news, thanks for sharing. Lots of old timer fans rooting for Paul.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Thanks for the updates. It's great to hear he's improving, albeit slowly. Typical of him too not to want a fuss made. Al, do you know if he's in a London hospital, or the Royal Sussex County?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Thanks for the updates. It's great to hear he's improving, albeit slowly. Typical of him too not to want a fuss made. Al, do you know if he's in a London hospital, or the Royal Sussex County?
I have no idea where he is. Sorry.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Delighted that there is some good news on his recovery, and here's hoping it continues.

As many have already said on this thread, I got to know Paul quite well when I used to attend SOL meetings, and on the SOL away trips, which must be over 15 years ago now. Always a friendly face you see around and have a quick hello with.

Top, top bloke, who has done so much for this club, but because of the person he is, just never made a fuss about it, and in turn, I don't think he is made enough of a fuss about when we look back at those who kept this club alive. But that is exactly how Paul would want it.

Get well soon mate.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Saturday update : Paul's latest chest X-ray is a lot better. His foot is still healing, though there's still a possibility of further surgery. His heart is working well, and his kidneys, though not great, are better than they were. Though still heavily sedated, he was quite alert, trying to pull the breathing tube, and frowning when we stopped him. So a lot more positive.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
excellent news, keep recovering Paul. Nice and steady.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Latest update from Erica :

Another good day. The nurse switched off the sedation altogether. It was hard to tell how awake Paul was, because he didn't obey commands, but he kept pointing at the breathing tube as if to say 'get this bloody thing out of my throat!' They intend to try again tomorrow. Who knows, maybe they'll do what he's asking and get the bloody thing out of his throat!

Let's hope it's a good week ahead.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Latest update from Erica :

Another good day. The nurse switched off the sedation altogether. It was hard to tell how awake Paul was, because he didn't obey commands, but he kept pointing at the breathing tube as if to say 'get this bloody thing out of my throat!' They intend to try again tomorrow. Who knows, maybe they'll do what he's asking and get the bloody thing out of his throat!

Let's hope it's a good week ahead.

That's the spirit. It's because people like Paul didn't obey commands from the likes of Bellotti that we still have a club.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Monday update from Erica :

Paul took a big step forward today. I had a call from the hospital asking for my permission as next of kin to give Paul a tracheotomy. Which is quite a scary thing to do for an unconscious adult. But it means they can continue to support his breathing while letting him wake up without discomfort. When I was there this evening the paralysing drug was just beginning to wear off. He might wake up tomorrow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good news!

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Tuesday update - not good news, more tests Wednesday. One step forward and one step back - hopefully better news soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here