Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've only given it two or three outings, but none too impressed by Timber Timbre's latest effort, but went back to Hot Dreams and that really is an extraordinary album.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be heard here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-26/

Tracklist:
Sneaks - With a cherry on top
Trance Farmers - Whats inside
Moonlandingz - I.D.S
Hanging Freud - Refuse
PINS - All hail
She-Devils - The world laughs
Confidence Man - Bubblegum
Detobeat - Cliffs (Marie Davidson vocal mix)
Soho Rezanejad - I am (Confidence)
Pharmakon - Sentient
Actress - X22RME
As Longtitude - Black rice
Video Salon - Stars reflecting
Jupiter-C - Another place (East India Youth remix)

Running time: an hour

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but the new British Sea Power album is bloody brilliant, possibly their best since 'The Decline of...'. 'Praise for Whatever' seems to be on permanent loop for me at the moment. I think it could be their best ever track, both lyrically and musically. Bloody love it.

'Want to be Free' still leaves me a little cold, but it is growing on me. Wasn't too sure on 'Electrical Kittens' at first when I heard it on 6Music, but now I love it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Quick plug if I may that my album is now on Spotify here if you fancy a listen....

https://open.spotify.com/album/307CFX6ifUnwbnvANy0CVf

I'm also loving the new British Sea Power album, musically reminiscent of their excellent second album Open Season although lyrically very different subject matter (a real tonic for the times).

Also very good is Yorkstone, Thorne & Khan's 'Neuk Wight Delhi All-Stars'.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A full preview of the new Joan Shelley (5th May) here http://www.npr.org/2017/04/27/525498080/first-listen-joan-shelley-joan-shelley

41+MHrN2GEL._AC_US218_.jpg Lovely stuff

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Another preview track from the forthcoming LP.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, the new Gorrillaz album came out today.

I have been listening to it all day.

It is magnificent.

That is all.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, the new Gorrillaz album came out today.

I have been listening to it all day.

It is magnificent.

That is all.

I was in Resident for a while this afternoon, and they were giving Thurston Moore's new album an outing. Sounds extremely good. For some reason, I didn't buy it, but have grabbed a copy of that GNOD album with the subtle title, which I think is a big fave with [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I was in Resident for a while this afternoon, and they were giving Thurston Moore's new album an outing. Sounds extremely good. For some reason, I didn't buy it, but have grabbed a copy of that GNOD album with the subtle title, which I think is a big fave with [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]

Enjoying the new Thurston Moore whilst watching the Toon beat another team dreaming of their holiday.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Might have to get it; it sounded very good.
And as to the other bit of your post, here's to it making tomorrow all the sweeter.

PS were you at Part Chimp last week?

No, too much football and too many gigs are depleting my budget! Seeing the Necks on Monday who I really like. Was disappointed to miss both Pharmakon and Oxbow this week.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, too much football and too many gigs are depleting my budget! Seeing the Necks on Monday who I really like. Was disappointed to miss both Pharmakon and Oxbow this week.

I missed Pharmakon, but did manage to see most of Blanck Mass who were headlining. I hate The Haunt, and this was reconfirmed when we found the support act (Pharmakon) were on at 8, and the headliner at 9.
I don't know The Necks, but am tempted as it's just round the corner from home for me, but suspect I will miss out for the very same reason as you offer.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I missed Pharmakon, but did manage to see most of Blanck Mass who were headlining. I hate The Haunt, and this was reconfirmed when we found the support act (Pharmakon) were on at 8, and the headliner at 9.
I don't know The Necks, but am tempted as it's just round the corner from home for me, but suspect I will miss out for the very same reason as you offer.

I thought Pharmakon was headlining, so a good job I didn't go as I would not have arrived at 8pm! She's an interesting noise artist from NY promoting her new release called Contact.

The Necks, from Australia, are an improvisatory trio of piano, bass and drums. Live, they play long, experimental, repetitive, hypnotic pieces that gently ebb and flow, sometimes building to crescendo and other times just float to quiet climax. It's the kind of music you submerge yourself within and when they peak you realise they played for 60 minutes and you wander where the time went. I expect they'll play two sets of 45/60mins duration. As with most improv though, sometimes it does not work in a live environment. I've seen them about 6 times and I love em.

The new Zu release is a massive change in direction. Their last two releases probably signposted they were starting to explore bigger themes and templates. No longer the jazz hardcore sounds of old a la Naked City. This new Zu feasts on a more mystical and meditative soundscape.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Cloven Hoof, new album just out, Who Mourns the Morning Star? Textbook oldschool heavy metal, get it, get yer heads down \o/

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix can be found here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-27/

Tracklist:
Fazerdaze - Lucky girl
Mallard the Wonderdog - Handmedowns
Melody's Echo Chamber - Cross my heart
Kate Carr - Things that stubbornly and resiliantly subsist without leave
Anneka - Strange and distant town
Kellie Lee Owens with Jenny Hval - Anxi.
Monkoora - Alaska 14
Sadaf - Let it burn
Broken English Club - Accidents and romance
Otoboke Beaver - Love is short
Fanny Kaplan - Vsjo dozvoleno ili net
The KVB - Fixation
Heaven - It's not enough
Shabazz Palaces - Shine a light
Trixicles - And the other one
Group Zero - Love and other presents
XAM Duo - Tisch tennis

Playing time: 60 minutes

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Barring the first track I like the album, better than the minor disappointment of Mirror.

They're a live band though. Swans-esque in their intensity.

Really digging the Part Chimp record by the way (obvs)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Gorillaz album is boring.

I'm quite enjoying the latest Dj Format & Abdominal offering. It's certainly nothing new but I quite like it as it bumbles along hip hoppily. To be played at a BBQ of 40 somethings who think they might like hip hop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here