Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been keeping an eye out for French band Her for a couple of years and they've got a new album/EP out. I've only heard this track from it and I'm quite taken with it. They play a very radio-friendly soulful electronic pop that reminds me in part of Hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7KHEXMBrrw

In a similar vein, Canadian band Rococode have a new EP out soon. An electro pop him-and-her duo, they can be a bit hit and miss. Not groundbreaking but if you like Lykke Li, La Roux then you'll probably like this too. I'm most intrigued by the singer. Can't decide if I've got a crush on her or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n73uckZGAI

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be heard here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-28/

Tracklist:
Shitkid - Two motorbikes
The Orielles - I only bought it for the bottle
Shopping - Straight lines (Ela Orleans remix)
Madonnatron - Headless children
Demdike Stare (ft Savages) - Savage distortion
Mary Epworth - Me swimming
Biosphere - Black mesa
Jealous of the Birds - Love is a crow
TALsounds - Disgrace
JLin - Holy child
Camille - Seeds
Chemtrails - Headless pin up girls
Teen Canteen - Millions
Hannah Peel - Sunrise through the dusty nebula
Perfume - Moonstep

Playing time: 60 minutes

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wow. Surprised no-one's mentioned it, but Richard Dawson's Peasant is right up there in AotY territory for me. It weaves a fine tapestry, great songs, his voice is great as are the backing singers, his guitar playing is just something else, and the whole thing takes you to another distant world, yet feels so timely.

Big shout out for Binker & Moses too. Just seen them in Resident, and the album is a real treat too. I suspect [MENTION=222]Southy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION] will be enticed.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Wow. Surprised no-one's mentioned it, but Richard Dawson's Peasant is right up there in AotY territory for me. It weaves a fine tapestry, great songs, his voice is great as are the backing singers, his guitar playing is just something else, and the whole thing takes you to another distant world, yet feels so timely.

Big shout out for Binker & Moses too. Just seen them in Resident, and the album is a real treat too. I suspect [MENTION=222]Southy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION] will be enticed.

exactly what I was thinking .... got 'Peasant' today, booked tickets for The Old Market gig.

....it is a bit bonkers

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm completely smitten with Dan Auerbach's new album. The Black Keys singer has a solo album that pays tribute to Nashville but there's no saccharine Grand Ole Opry here, he plays it strictly country-pop and it sounds fantastic. It's had me proper dad-dancing in the living room, much to my 2 lads' embarrassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLqc7rXKCY

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And the Marika Hackman album has been an absolute pleasure. If you can, go for the deluxe version which has some excellent bonus tracks on there. This album sees Marika really coming into her own now, the first album was a little twee (although I loved it) and felt like she was holding back whereas this album is a lot less acoustic folky, it's fuller with more of a band feel to it and lots of nods to 90s riffs. You can tell she's been listening a lot to the likes of Nirvana and Pearl Jam when hearing tracks like Good Intentions and Gina's World but I'm glad to hear other tracks where there are still the Leonard Cohen/Tanita Tikarem influences. This track 'My Lover Cindy' is a particular favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22WGdHUq2A

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm completely smitten with Dan Auerbach's new album. The Black Keys singer has a solo album that pays tribute to Nashville but there's no saccharine Grand Ole Opry here, he plays it strictly country-pop and it sounds fantastic. It's had me proper dad-dancing in the living room, much to my 2 lads' embarrassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLqc7rXKCY

Talented man, Dan A. I had the pleasure of seeing the Black Keys at The Pressure Point in 2004, and they raawked. My boy loves The Black Keys and they've been known to provoke Mum, Dad and son dancing, and even car-bouncing in the past.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
L.A. Takedown - II

The second album the LA band who have been variously described as post-rock but I don't hear that at all. There's no singing, it's all instrumentals but it's far more '80s action movie soundtracks combined with a healthy does of prog-rock guitar solos. I like it, whatever it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fcWe8cKok

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Anyone else very much enjoying the Pixx album? Nice and soothing after a long night watching TV. Don't think I want to see any more politics for a good long while after the past couple of months. Ulrika Spacek: I'm thinking curate's egg, but ultimately a little lacking in variation? And, pretty old now, but the last Paramore album: I'm undecided overall, but certainly some decent highlights. For fans of Brighton's very own Fickle Friends. Chemtrails new EP: some very decent tracks for girl group indie types.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In a similar vein, Canadian band Rococode have a new EP out soon. An electro pop him-and-her duo, they can be a bit hit and miss. Not groundbreaking but if you like Lykke Li, La Roux then you'll probably like this too. I'm most intrigued by the singer. Can't decide if I've got a crush on her or not.

Enjoying Rococode on Spotify this afternoon, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

I probably should have heard of them as they're Canadian!

Jul 7, 2003
Not big, not clever but good fun, the new album from Pirate Metal band Alestorm charted higher than Shakira last week.

I love this incredibly childish little ditty which has a hint of the old Billy Connolly songs about it to me:

https://youtu.be/th4Czv1j3F8

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Really digging the sultry, sensual, cinematic dreampop of the eponymous new album by ‘Cigarettes After Sex’. Ignore their shockingly bad moniker. Instead, and if you dig melancholic, shimmering, slowed down pop which evokes the distinctly Lynchian vibe of Twin Peaks, then dive in, you’ll love it

CAS.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Really digging the sultry, sensual, cinematic dreampop of the eponymous new album by ‘Cigarettes After Sex’. Ignore their shockingly bad moniker. Instead, and if you dig melancholic, shimmering, slowed down pop which evokes the distinctly Lynchian vibe of Twin Peaks, then dive in, you’ll love it

It's beautiful. Stunning. Pevenseagull describes it as a bit of a one-trick pony but it's one hell of a trick. You're right, their name is shocking and does them no favours (why do bands do that? F*ck Buttons are another). This month has seen some fantastic new albums and none better than Cigarettes After Sex. Even better, my 14 year old son got me into them with their recent EP and I can now hold my head up in conversation with at least one of my sons about music!

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

View attachment 86274

Loving this album too. Like you say its a bit samey but loving it all the same. Definitely best on earphones.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
First listen of the new Chk Chk Chk album, it's got a couple of decent tracks on it but overall leaves me feeling a tad confused. I think it might just be a terrible album tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here