Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
First listen of the new Chk Chk Chk album, it's got a couple of decent tracks on it but overall leaves me feeling a tad confused. I think it might just be a terrible album tbh.

They were exciting when they first hit the scene, but I've been increasingly underwhelmed by them, and just don't bother with them any more.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone else very much enjoying the Pixx album? Nice and soothing after a long night watching TV. Don't think I want to see any more politics for a good long while after the past couple of months. Ulrika Spacek: I'm thinking curate's egg, but ultimately a little lacking in variation? And, pretty old now, but the last Paramore album: I'm undecided overall, but certainly some decent highlights. For fans of Brighton's very own Fickle Friends. Chemtrails new EP: some very decent tracks for girl group indie types.

The Pixx album is okay but it's not got me hankering to go back to it. It seems to lack something to lift it from the crowd. I've listened only once to that Ulrika Spacek album and was hoping for good things but nothing grabbing me there either. I'll give it another go tonight.

I've been listening to the Saint Etienne album and after the first few listens it's got a bit meh. They don't sound like their heart is in it, it's all very safe and they really do lay it on with a trowel that they're a "quintessentially English suburban band". South London gets mentioned lots and there's the obligatory nostalgia clip this time in the form of a snippet of the Saturday football scores being read out. And despite all that (or maybe because of it) it's no Foxbase Alpha. There's no big killer track on there for a start and the fillers really are just that. I wonder if they should call it a day and just stick to the retro compilation albums that they've been churning out.

Writing that last sentence pains me because I adore them. I regard the line from Hobart Paving: "Rain falls like Elvis tears" as one of the greatest lyrics ever written. I think I have pretty much all they've ever done, I've got Foxbase Alpha in about 6 different formats (incl. the Subutteo edition). I've even got Sarah Cracknell's not so good solo stuff but they've nothing left to say.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Loving the new, and what will sadly be the last, Glen Campbell album entitled "Adios".

https://youtu.be/XPBu7h2yabw

Sadly Glen is now in the final stages of his battle with Alzheimer's Disease, so this (although it was recorded in 2012 I believe) will be the last we hear from him.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am BANG into the Joe Goddard album (Hot Chip, The Two Bears), Electric Lines. Absolute vibes and some lovely vocals.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That was f**king incredible. Not normally into that sort of thing, massive kudos.

Similarly brilliant production levels throughout.

Hot Chip are one of the most creative bands around, to a man. All the solo stuff the various members have done is really quite good.

On my second listening of the new Royal Blood album. Absolutely love it! The songs I hadn't already heard from it sound fantastic. By far and away my album of the year so far, and that's unlikely to change!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
New Ride album today - looking forward to this one about 7.5 out of 10. Of the three new tracks I've already heard, I would describe them as "not bad" rather than "amazing". Happy to upgrade if they've saved the best songs for the full release.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Wow. Surprised no-one's mentioned it, but Richard Dawson's Peasant is right up there in AotY territory for me. It weaves a fine tapestry, great songs, his voice is great as are the backing singers, his guitar playing is just something else, and the whole thing takes you to another distant world, yet feels so timely.

Big shout out for Binker & Moses too. Just seen them in Resident, and the album is a real treat too. I suspect [MENTION=222]Southy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION] will be enticed.

Binker and Moses played Love Supreme last year. Really good. They were also on Later, which may still be available on iPlayer.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Wow. Surprised no-one's mentioned it, but Richard Dawson's Peasant is right up there in AotY territory for me. It weaves a fine tapestry, great songs, his voice is great as are the backing singers, his guitar playing is just something else, and the whole thing takes you to another distant world, yet feels so timely.

Big shout out for Binker & Moses too. Just seen them in Resident, and the album is a real treat too. I suspect [MENTION=222]Southy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION] will be enticed.

Cheers for the heads up on Binker and Moses. You're right, I really like it. Great album.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A couple of mentions of the Ulrika Spacek album - I'm majorly disappointed, the production is terrible compared to the first album, shame because the songs were great live the other week.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Yup and it is in a more digestible format than Nothing's Important which is good/bad (delete as appropriate)

Wonder if having a band will take away or add to the live experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here