Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry if anyone else has banged on about it, but my word the new The National album is just....gorgeous. Possibly my favourite of theirs.

Also, Queens of the Stoneage's Villians is great. Those 2 + Slowdive are my albums of the year so far.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sorry if anyone else has banged on about it, but my word the new The National album is just....gorgeous. Possibly my favourite of theirs.

I agree about The National. Saw these concerts and thought it's almost worth it for two top bands. Daughter's soundtrack album is just great. Capture.JPG

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Also, Queens of the Stoneage's Villians is great. Those 2 + Slowdive are my albums of the year so far.

I loved Like Clockwork so much...easily their best album in my eyes. I have been reticent in listening to the new one - not generally in the mood for the genre recently. So, should I? Is it worth it, and is it a step forward?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I loved Like Clockwork so much...easily their best album in my eyes. I have been reticent in listening to the new one - not generally in the mood for the genre recently. So, should I? Is it worth it, and is it a step forward?

There are similarities to Like Clockwork but this album is more upbeat, lighter in tone. Track 1 and 9 are both superb IMO.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Liking the Snapped Ankles album plenty but it does cross the boundary into ripping off The Fall on more than one occasion.

They do it well though. Can imagine they'll be immense live.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix can be found here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-32/

Tracklist:
Carla Dal Forno - The garden
Maraudeur - Property is property
Shopping - The hype
Courtship Ritual - Blunt as naive
Jonnie Common - Restless
Hannah Peel - Andromeda M31
Jane Weaver with Virginia Wing - I feel it starts again
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - To feel your best
F Ingers - My body next to yours
Lakker - Song for Rathlin
Sweet Nobody - Manner of speaking
PINS - Serve the rich
Club 8 - Breathe
Death & Vanilla - Moonshine
Teresa Winter - Untitled death
Detox Twins - I'm not available

Playing time: 60 minutes

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
New album 'Ardor' by Canadian outfit Big Brave is getting a loud airing in Redoubtable Seagull's household this afternoon.
They play Sticky Mike's in a couple of weeks for those interested folk.

Lee Ranaldo's 'Electric Trim' is a grower.

And Tricot's new one '3' hits the spot again with their math rock/pop.

Plus the new Godspeed You and Mogwai (both already mentioned in the thread) are enjoyable listens.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
New album 'Ardor' by Canadian outfit Big Brave is getting a loud airing in Redoubtable Seagull's household this afternoon.
They play Sticky Mike's in a couple of weeks for those interested folk.

Lee Ranaldo's 'Electric Trim' is a grower.

And Tricot's new one '3' hits the spot again with their math rock/pop.

Plus the new Godspeed You and Mogwai (both already mentioned in the thread) are enjoyable listens.

Big Brave should be a cracking gig.

Haven't heard the new one but I've been long of the opinion that Lee is a really underrated songwriter. Eric's Trip and Hey Joni off Daydream Nation for instance.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Kele Okereke - 'Fatherland'

The ex(?) lead singer of Bloc Party has a solo album out and it's surprisingly twee and poppy and quite soulful in places. A mainly acoustic affair with Corinne Bailey Rae guest appearing too. If you're after something quiet and reflective to listen to then this could be right up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1F0x5NPEjQ

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Carla Dal Forno - Garden (EP)
Four track EP containing new songs, no instrumental fillers, showing much progression from her excellent album last year. Possibly the best release of the year in my view.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks for the heads up on Carla Del Forno. Will check out her new EP. I'm a big fan of her record label, Blackest Ever Black. There's quite a lot of weird but wonderful artists and bands on their roster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here