Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
How was this? They ****ed up my booking so couldn't go. Want to give them a go at some point but I'm a bit annoyed with him currently!
Yeah we enjoyed it.
Cooking is simple but well done. Great cocktails.
Very cheap and you'll leave with a very full belly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
After two hours in the Tate this morning and stunning disbelief at what is allegedly art, albeit there was a Warhol and one Dali of which I have a lot of time for headed back to the sea and decided on a re-visit to Jamies Italian.

To carry on the art theme visited the Guggenheim in Malaga last year and that was weirder beyond belief.

Anyway back to the cheeky chappys chain, not too bad.

Both had squid and steak - squid very good and wholesome mayonnaise albeit rather hot chillies, steak well done, tad too salty fries and nice slaw.

8 out of 10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had dinner in Bus Stop before yesterday's game. Great, wholesome and very filling Carribean food at reasonable prices. It's a 4 minute walk from Brewdog as well. So, I had a couple of poncy beers, dinner with a good friend who joined me for the 3-0 followed by a few beers in The Albert with my man-squad. Lovely evening.

I also have to say The Albert has improved from when I was last in there. That big screen really altered the atmosphere. It's now gone and it's back to the old of great beers, nice mix of punters and very good music and atmosphere.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Pretty sure I'm the last one to have been on this thread but finally broke my Chilli Pickle duck last night. Seriously impressed. The Vindaloo Puri Prawns had a real touch of heat about them and my tandoori grill was excellent. Good range of beers, excellent service and very buzzy atmosphere. Under £100 for two of us too. Probably up there with some of the meals I've had while working in South India.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Went into Oshio in Trafalgar Street for Sushi, before the game on Friday night. Sat at the counter and watched the chef preparing the Sushi. Simple place focussing on the quality of the food, which was very good. I will be back to try some of the Korean dishes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went into Oshio in Trafalgar Street for Sushi, before the game on Friday night. Sat at the counter and watched the chef preparing the Sushi. Simple place focussing on the quality of the food, which was very good. I will be back to try some of the Korean dishes.

Ha. My Friday dinner was a toss up between this and Bus Stop. I'll give it a whirl next time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Baltic - Blackfriars Road, SE1.

A Polish/Russian/assorted East European restaurant, gathering decent reviews. Staffed almost entirely by Poles, owned by a Brit. Pre-theatre (perfect location for Old/New Vic). Nice airy dining room. Extensive vodka range. Decently long and interesting menu with 50% of the food being stuff I'd never heard of, let alone eaten.

Brilliant vodka martini. Food all a little disappointing, considering both reputation and pricing. Food over salted, and under peppered. Dishes with oil had a bit too much. Portion sizes on the small side. £130 for two, including two cocktails and a bottle of averagely-priced wine.

Go for the vodkas (there's a bar where you don't have to eat); go somewhere else to eat...

Edit: actually, go to the Anchor & Hope on The Cut to eat, just around the corner. Really good gastropub/restaurant. I guess it's technically a gastropub, but the food quality is much better than you'd expect for a place carrying that description. Restaurant opens at 6pm for the evening. First come, first served for tables. You can start putting your name down for the 6pm sitting at 5:15pm.

Edit 2: name of second place corrected following [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] 's post below!

Last edited:

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
We ate at Isaac at in Gloucester St. last night, had the tasting menu with Sussex wine pairing and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect.
Quality food all locally sourced,
It's only small (seats approx 20) but
really well cooked and presented by a very young (but have to say very knowledgeable and talented) team.
Found I much preferred it to 64 degrees.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We ate at Isaac at in Gloucester St. last night, had the tasting menu with Sussex wine pairing and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect.
Quality food all locally sourced,
It's only small (seats approx 20) but
really well cooked and presented by a very young (but have to say very knowledgeable and talented) team.
Found I much preferred it to 64 degrees.

Did you book on line and, if so, did they make you pay for the tasting menu up front?

I'm having serious problems with the Bristol City game as it's my wedding anniversary that weekend. I'm sure the game will be moved but no one will know to when until 5 weeks before it. Wife fancies Isaacs or 64 Degrees. My tactic would have been to book one of each on Friday and Saturday, cancelling the one that clashes with football as soon as the Sky games come out. However, Isaac's seems to want to take cash up front and 64 Degrees "may do" in addition to only having an early or late sitting left on the Saturday.

Even the Fat Duck didn't take money up front off us. Surely a cancellation 5 weeks before leaves enough time to fill our spot? Or is this just something they do online and ringing them allows you to book normally (I would refuse to pay them up front over the phone and that's not a conversation I particularly fancy having unless I have to).

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Did you book on line and, if so, did they make you pay for the tasting menu up front?

I'm having serious problems with the Bristol City game as it's my wedding anniversary that weekend. I'm sure the game will be moved but no one will know to when until 5 weeks before it. Wife fancies Isaacs or 64 Degrees. My tactic would have been to book one of each on Friday and Saturday, cancelling the one that clashes with football as soon as the Sky games come out. However, Isaac's seems to want to take cash up front and 64 Degrees "may do" in addition to only having an early or late sitting left on the Saturday.

Even the Fat Duck didn't take money up front off us. Surely a cancellation 5 weeks before leaves enough time to fill our spot? Or is this just something they do online and ringing them allows you to book normally (I would refuse to pay them up front over the phone and that's not a conversation I particularly fancy having unless I have to).

Yes, you have to pay up front (which we did 6 weeksago) which I was a little surprised by but being so small I guess they have to cover themselves.
But come last night just having to pay for drinks made it feel like an inexpensive treat!!
We were in a similar situation as it was a double birthday treat and at the time the Derby game was scheduled for 3pm yesterday and I was dreading it being the Saturday evening televised game so was relieved when we got the Friday slot!
I did ask at the time and they did say if you need to they will do their best to reschedule bookings if given enough notice

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Six of us ate at the Plough in Pyecombe last night. Not been there for ages, but it was very good pub grub, 2-3 courses each inc drinks for about £35/head. Food all freshly cooked and very well presented. Nice friendly service too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I paid up front on the only occasion I've gone. I don't like it, but it does mean that you get a pleasant surprise when the bill arrives. My suggestion would be that you just wait for Sky to decide when you can go.
I'm also a Chilli Pickle fan, unlike a fair few others here. I've been there between ten and twenty times, and only had two bad meals, one of which was the dosa, which is just too filling for my liking. The grill has always been excellent whenever I've had it, and two blasts from the past include Oxtail Madras and Pork Vindaloo. Their hotter dishes tend to be the better ones.
And I'm completely with [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] 1976 on Anchor & Hope which I've been going to since it opened, and have been 20+ times. Never had a bad meal. Always great value. They also do relatively simple dishes, but the execution is always to a tee. Cracking wine list too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I paid up front for Isaacs then had to cancel the day before the booking due to a hospital appointment, I rang up all apologetic and they were absolutely fine about it - even managed to define a new date as a result of another cancellation.

FWIW I thought semolina was better.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

If you cancel at least 72 hours before the reservation they refund you. If you cancel afterwards, they only charge you if they can't resell the table.

I think paying in advance will become the norm for this sort of restaurant and I don't see that it is significantly different to paying for a ticket to any "event". Would you pay for a ticket to the football or a gig over the phone and if so what is the difference to paying for one of the limited number of spaces in a restaurant in advance? Not trying to have a go, just genuinely interested in people's opinions on this.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I paid up front for Isaacs then had to cancel the day before the booking due to a hospital appointment, I rang up all apologetic and they were absolutely fine about it - even managed to define a new date as a result of another cancellation.

I enjoyed Issac a lot and as other posters have said when the bill comes it is a lovely surprise because you've already paid the bulk upfront. But I prefer Semolina too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone been to Cin Cin ? Heard some good things about it recently.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Anyone been to Cin Cin ? Heard some good things about it recently.

I've been a couple of times and I'm going again before Laura Marling on Thursday. It's different in the sense that you all sit around a central bar, not great for talking to anyone but your immediate neighbours. Meat boards, cheese boards and a selection of other Italian delicacies (the lardo and the rabbit croquette highly recommended) followed by a simple but perfect choice from three pasta dishes. Small selection of puddings. Doesn't take long, 11/2 hrs tops so ideal if you're going on somewhere, not a whole evening experience. Give it a go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

If you cancel at least 72 hours before the reservation they refund you. If you cancel afterwards, they only charge you if they can't resell the table.

I think paying in advance will become the norm for this sort of restaurant and I don't see that it is significantly different to paying for a ticket to any "event". Would you pay for a ticket to the football or a gig over the phone and if so what is the difference to paying for one of the limited number of spaces in a restaurant in advance? Not trying to have a go, just genuinely interested in people's opinions on this.

Perfect, thanks guys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here