Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I've read few reviews as good as that from Rayner. Good for them.

I was in Seville over the weekend am have come across one of the best cheap eats places I can think of for the standard.

It's called Perro Viejo and is bang in the centre somewhere (was pissed all weekend so actual facts hazy). They make the best ribs I ever did eat. Not normally a fan myself and it's generally an excuse for poorly sourced pork covered in a sticky, wickly sauce but these were juicy, succulent and all that good stuff with a very light sauce, really faultless. They also covered themselves in glory when it came to their cervich, their iberico croquettes and something involving cod and black rice which was superb. We ordered a LOT of dishes (three lots of ribs) and must have had 4 round of beers (five of us) and it came to 80 euro which is INSANE for the area and the quality of food. Highly recommend if you can get there.

9/10

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Finally got round to trying 64 Degrees yesterday and I have to say it was highly disappointing. Mrs W and I decided to pick 6 dishes ( for those that don't know you share them ) - 2 fish, 2 veg and 2 meat.

Cod with chickpeas - nice enough but the cod itself was on the underdone side. 6/10
Squid - pretty basic but not over cooked. 6/10.
Butternut squash - not a lot to it really, couple of slices with a couple of sauces and pine nuts. 5/10.
Artichokes and parsnip - awful. Effing awful. It was bitter and burnt. 0/10.
Pork - so over spiced that you could barely taste the pork and the pork seemed to be a very cheap cut. 5/10.
Beef - best of the dishes. Very tender and fell apart and the swede that came with it was fantastic. 8/10.

I'm really not sure what all the hype is about for this place. It's over priced, pretentious and poncey. If you're hungry then don't try it. We pottered around town for a bit after having lunch there and by mid evening were in Wagamamas because we were so hungry.

I like poncey food but the chefs need to bear in mind that the food needs to taste good not just sound clever or look good. I can't believe the chefs have even tasted their own food at 64 Degrees. We won't be returning. There are dozens of places in the city that serve better food and for a better price. Overall score - 3/10.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Finally got round to trying 64 Degrees yesterday and I have to say it was highly disappointing. Mrs W and I decided to pick 6 dishes ( for those that don't know you share them ) - 2 fish, 2 veg and 2 meat.

Cod with chickpeas - nice enough but the cod itself was on the underdone side. 6/10
Butternut squash - not a lot to it really, couple of slices with a couple of sauces and pine nuts. 5/10.
Pork - so over spiced that you could barely taste the pork and the pork seemed to be a very cheap cut. 5/10.
Beef - best of the dishes. Very tender and fell apart and the swede that came with it was fantastic. 8/10.

I'm really not sure what all the hype is about for this place. It's over priced, pretentious and poncey. If you're hungry then don't try it. We pottered around town for a bit after having lunch there and by mid evening were in Wagamamas because we were so hungry.

I like poncey food but the chefs need to bear in mind that the food needs to taste good not just sound clever or look good. I can't believe the chefs have even tasted their own food at 64 Degrees. We won't be returning. There are dozens of places in the city that serve better food and for a better price. Overall score - 3/10.

Interesting you said this. I went for the first time on friday evening with the misses. We both loved it. We had 6 dishes, all very very good. Will be going back without a doubt.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Have to say that I have diametrically opposed views to you on restaurants, and politics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting you said this. I went for the first time on friday evening with the misses. We both loved it. We had 6 dishes, all very very good. Will be going back without a doubt.

Same here. A couple of dishes (out of about 10) were misses but overall it was a very enjoyable experience. I'm happy for a couple of misses; I see it as a result of when you're trying something a bit different. It does suffer from over-hype as some reviews and reviewers have got a bit carried away (Westdene excluded :smile:) but otherwise it's a great addition to the Brighton scene.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Respect to Westdene Seagull - I think 64 Degrees is brilliant, but clearly it isn't everyone's cup of tea. My top tips;

Sitting at the counter watching the chefs cook has to be better than sitting at the small tables.
Go for a indulgent lunch rather than a hectic Saturday night.
Don't be afraid to ask what stuff is.
The menu changes regularly - one for from earlier this week is below
No idea really how Squid with chermoula and fennel can be run of the mill, I doubt even the most ardent foodies on this site are tired of chermoula with everything.
The vegetarian dishes match the meat and fish for quality. The Alexander buds and the hispi are both highly recommended.
C43TIbxXAAAaO0_.jpg
Agreed it's not cheap, but if you cook at home and skip a few mediocre chain restaurant meals, I think it makes for a real treat.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As much as I liked 64 degrees I have no real urge to go back any time soon. It's got just a bit too keen on price for me.

I have been back to Busby and Wilds though, last night, and I will keep going. This place is pushing Little Fish Market for my top spot, it's SO good.

I had some arancini with beetroot and goats cheese, followed by a whole plaice with rosti chips which were insane and their not to be bettered sticky toffee pudding. Everything is cooked with such skill and it's almost dangerously understated.

The missus had the mussels which are proper, the liqour could be served as a soup frankly.

Our companions for the evening were first timers and although one picked the burger, which will always be a let down at a good restaurant, they were suitable impressed.

A must visit, as a lot on here already know. In fact, go for sunday lunch today if you haven't got plans and have the sticky toffee pudding for me.

9/10

Edit, quick word on price. 200 quid including service each for three courses, two beers, a large glass of wine, a bottle on wine and a pint of orange juice. Ain't overly cheap but there IS value there IMO

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, Nobelhart and Schmutzig.

This was a absolutely superb evening. To set the scene it's a subtle lit room with a oblong bar surrounding a very large, and very calm, open kitchen. All the action, service, wine, is from behind this bar. It's so calm they have a record deck and spin vinyl whilst cooking, corking, and serving. We had Tom Waites, Neneh Cherry, Yellow amongst others. You sit side-by-side and alongside others at the bar.

The menu is below and the food is locally sourced, brutally locally sourced, and from within the Berlin and Bandenburg area. So don't expect spices, most fruits, pepper, tuna etc. They don't have lemons for gin and tonics either. No bottled water or an expresso machine....check their website for the reasons.

The drink pairing broke the food concept by including wines from outside Germany but all ours were German. The drink pairing switched to beer pairing towards the end with a decent German double IPA and a lovely Pankow sour Berliner Weiss.

The standout was the Potatoes, Black Pudding and mustard. This was thinly sliced black pudding, grated mustard seed on top and they poured a lovely rich potato and beer soup over the top. The soup was incredible on own but when you hit the mustard and slightly dissolved black pudding at the bottom it was next level.

The one miss was the chicory. Great idea with the dandelion and venison sauce and would have worked if the chicory had been a little softer.

Two other points. They have a no strict no phones policy, not too disimilar to a certain Berlin night club, and one person was asked to politely go outside when they took a call. We also had someone famous sat next to us at the bar. No idea who he was but definitely in a rock band though, spoke three languages, was amazingly gentle and soft considering the way he looked, and he and his lady had quite a bit of time for me and the Frau. Thought it would be impolite to ask who he is. It certainly added a bit of a buzz to the evening.

Not a place for a romantic quiet evening meal but if you want fun and high end food with a little bit of entertainment thrown in, and interaction with your neighbours, this is your place.

This was a gift from the Frau, she knows how to shut me up for a few hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Always enjoy reading the reviews of the restaurant cognoscenti, including yourself, on this thread.

Really have to ask though, with all due respect, why would you not send a dish that was bitter and burnt and that you marked 0/10 back to the kitchen? Sounds like a dish that's gone wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Always enjoy reading the reviews of the restaurant cognoscenti, including yourself, on this thread.

Really have to ask though, with all due respect, why would you not send a dish that was bitter and burnt and that you marked 0/10 back to the kitchen? Sounds like a dish that's gone wrong.

Maybe it's a personal taste thing? Bitter and burnt might be appealing to others? It might work better if there was something sweet in the dish to balance it out?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

Thank you - love this thread - all about personal opinions without the crap of politics !!!! I did send it back and it was scrubbed from the bill. i've never in shy in sending dishes back. Reading reviews here and elsewhere I think this one is a marmite restuarant :)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If your in Suffolk Coastal District then i would recomend Emmetts in Peasenall for a brilliant breakfast. They sell their own cured bacon and ham in the shop and have a cafe on the side. Not had lunch there

Jul 7, 2003
My wife and I visited the Miller & Carter steak restaurant in Lancing on Friday night. I tried this not long after it had first opened and wasn't particularly impressed but a few on here have commented on how good it has been recently so I thought I would give it another shot.

The menu seems to have been cleaned up since I last went and they seem to have given much more thought to the sides and sauces. We shared some 'toasted breads' with beef dripping butter for a small starter. It was part of their nibbles menu rather than starters but there were six small pieces of bread and the butter was nice and smoky in flavour.

For my main, I went for one of the guest steaks - the 50 day aged grain fed ribeye - with sweet potato fries and beef dripping sauce. The steak had a really great flavour to it and was very tender. The sauce was like some of the best gravy you can have. The wife had the slow cooked brisket and got four big slices of tender brisket with the aforementioned beef dripping sauce, some nicely cooked vegetables and lovely creamy mash. We shared a dessert of banoffee bakewell tart. We were expecting something different to a normal bakewell but we were given a fairly large bakewell tart with ice cream on top and caramelised banana on the side which was all very nice and plenty for two - probably too much for one.

For a chain restaurant I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and the value for money - with drinks it was just of £50 for the two of us.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
My wife and I visited the Miller & Carter steak restaurant in Lancing on Friday night. I tried this not long after it had first opened and wasn't particularly impressed but a few on here have commented on how good it has been recently so I thought I would give it another shot.

The menu seems to have been cleaned up since I last went and they seem to have given much more thought to the sides and sauces. We shared some 'toasted breads' with beef dripping butter for a small starter. It was part of their nibbles menu rather than starters but there were six small pieces of bread and the butter was nice and smoky in flavour.

For my main, I went for one of the guest steaks - the 50 day aged grain fed ribeye - with sweet potato fries and beef dripping sauce. The steak had a really great flavour to it and was very tender. The sauce was like some of the best gravy you can have. The wife had the slow cooked brisket and got four big slices of tender brisket with the aforementioned beef dripping sauce, some nicely cooked vegetables and lovely creamy mash. We shared a dessert of banoffee bakewell tart. We were expecting something different to a normal bakewell but we were given a fairly large bakewell tart with ice cream on top and caramelised banana on the side which was all very nice and plenty for two - probably too much for one.

For a chain restaurant I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and the value for money - with drinks it was just of £50 for the two of us.

Been too miller and carter so many times. Great place for a good steak.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

I quite like M&C - been there for a couple of business lunches and the quality has been pretty good. Can recommend the lamb main with pulses.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Wow, for two steak meals that really is great value, about the same price as a greasy curry for two at my local Indian.

I know which one l'd prefer.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008

We went to the M&C at Patcham (replaced the Black Lion), and also had the 50 day aged grain fed ribeye, have to say I thought was it awful.Though I hear that the Lancing one is much better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here