Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2017

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Was all set to go to the bus stop today but shut Sundays ! Sake. Anyone been the jerk place in Worthing ? D D's ?
    900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
    Steve Parish - CPFC2010

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Drakes - Marine Parade.

Amazing lunch -- and a steal at 20 for three courses. Mention web promo when booking.

Proper fine dining -- hake, with Sussex chorizo (?) risotto and mussels blew my socks off. Excellent wine by the glass. Cocktails (recommend the Love Potion) in the bar, while taking the sea view, before eating.

Generous portions too. Almost too big.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Valentine's day is a crock of s***t anyway. If you really love your wife/partner/significant other half, why do you have to take her out on a specific day that society tells you to?

Do it on a date to suit you. The bill will probably be cheaper too.
      Although I sort of agree, she buys in to the idea that Valentines Day is a special occasion. I'm ditching her on the day to go to the Amex, so the least is I can do is take her out a few days before/after.

Not really a fan of going to restaurants that put on a special menu for Valentines day. We normally go to a restaurant that we like and run an ordinary service with their usual prices. Probably La Capannina this year. I was just curious about Skyfall as I know it's on her list of places she'd like to try. Won't be going there for Valentines day as they have a very expensive, very restrictive set menu. I'm sure she'd much rather try it when it's running properly.
      Took me years to realise that I spent my youth standing next to Steve Foster every week watching Sunday league football. Oops!
      Newly Joined

1 Not allowed!
      I really recoomend Isaac@, just round the corner from the basketmakers. Very pricey, but really good food from a young team that don't have any attitude or pretence, just a real ambition to do fine dining and do it very well. A good 'occassion' destination.

0 Not allowed!
      Skyfall - Hove

We both had the same, scallops then a burger

Scallops, cooked perfectly with a nice puree, burgers very tasty, nice chunky chips and 'slaw.

All washed down with a very agreeable Argentinian red.

I would check the menu first as there is not a lot of choice.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Going to Temper after the match tomorrow. Can't wait. See:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ew-jay-raynerb

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      Going to Temper after the match tomorrow. Can't wait. See:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ew-jay-raynerb
      If they have any left, try the smoked goat tacos as a starter... you can thank me later.
      6EQUJ5 2A

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Normski1989 View Post
      Although I sort of agree, she buys in to the idea that Valentines Day is a special occasion. I'm ditching her on the day to go to the Amex, so the least is I can do is take her out a few days before/after.

Not really a fan of going to restaurants that put on a special menu for Valentines day. We normally go to a restaurant that we like and run an ordinary service with their usual prices. Probably La Capannina this year. I was just curious about Skyfall as I know it's on her list of places she'd like to try. Won't be going there for Valentines day as they have a very expensive, very restrictive set menu. I'm sure she'd much rather try it when it's running properly.
      Is La Campannina any good?
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!
      Giggling Squid in Brighton last night.

My first time at one of these restaurants but I have heard good things about the food.

Food was fine, Mrs McT and I had a sharing platter to start with - all good and the salt and pepper squid was very good. Mrs had a Tom Kha soup and I had the Pad Cha - mixed seafood stirfry with a chilli and garlic sauce which was excellent - really good squid, plump mussels and all very fresh.

That's the good stuff - now the rest. We had a 6:30 reservation and arrived about 8 minutes early. We walked in and were met (greeted would certainly not be the word here) by a French (?) man you merely said "Yes?" in quite an aggressive fashion as if we were greatly inconveniencing him. We told him our name and that we had a booking after studying his piece of paper he eventually said, in a very accusing manner, "your booking is supposed to be for 6:30." He finally set off up the stairs without a word - the restaurant is a series of small rooms over three or floors - he took us into one of the rooms pointed at a table and marched off. Not another word. I am not looking for fawning lickspittles but would have thought a bit of civility might be a reasonable expectation...

The menus were so dirty that the pages had stuck together - my wife was surprised that there was no soup on the menu until she managed to wrench the relevant pages apart. The loos were like those in a particularly grim pub - one of the seats of the WC was broken, something that a quick trip to B&Q and the grand sum of 3.95 could have fixed, but as with so much of this restaurant, it seems that, outside of the kitchen, too many people don't really care.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      If they have any left, try the smoked goat tacos as a starter... you can thank me later.
      Temper, unfortunately, go with the flow and only do roasts on a Sunday for their extended lunch (their last booking is at 6 -- we were getting a bit upset with Brentford's time-wasting for more than one reason). That said, they did it quite fantastically. We had aubergine and miso tacos, and the crab and pickled onion/pork skin ones. Both were delicious with great chilli poke.
      The roast was mixed meats, all of which worked, but one of them was smoked. I thought it was pork, but it could well have been goat (I don't think they mentioned goat on the menu, and the goat tacos weren't there on the starters menu). Whatever it was, it was sublime.
      We agreed that we'll be returning there for their proper, non-mawkish menu after the QPR game.