Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to Cafe Rouge in H Heath on Saturday. Very similar. Won’t be rushing back. Service was particularly crap even though it wasn’t busy. Rib-eye with garlic snails was nice though to be fair.

That is my view also and must be the same for many as they have many deals on Groupon to increase trade.

On the subject of company branded restaurants I think that Harvester has dropped off considerably. Wife likes the salad bar starter but I do not think the rest of the menu now offers value for money and in the case of the Haywards Heath one is very poorly cooked. They ask how you want your steak and it makes no difference as it comes out as the cook, cant call them chefs, cook them irrespective of preference or wishes.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Crabtree on the A281, almost opposite the top of the drive to South Lodge has excellent gastro-pub type dining too, but they don't do accommodation, so it's knowing where to stay..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Went to Cafe Rouge in H Heath on Saturday. Very similar. Won’t be rushing back. Service was particularly crap even though it wasn’t busy. Rib-eye with garlic snails was nice though to be fair.

Was very good on my one and only visit there as l remember. Mind you that must of been nigh on 15 years ago. Much has obviously changed since then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah South Lodge is a good shout. It's incredibly hard to find good value for something like this, which makes the Ockenden Sunday night offer remarkable.

Hotel du Vins used to have ridiculously good Sunday night "Stay & Dine" offers which basically meant you got the (very nice) room for free. You could get to Winchester, Tunbridge Wells, Henley and Wimbledon within your hour and a half. Poole is a little bit further.

Looks like they still do >>> https://www.hotelduvin.com/offers/room-packages/settle-in-sundays/

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hotel du Vins used to have ridiculously good Sunday night "Stay & Dine" offers which basically meant you got the (very nice) room for free. You could get to Winchester, Tunbridge Wells, Henley and Wimbledon within your hour and a half. Poole is a little bit further.

Looks like they still do >>> https://www.hotelduvin.com/offers/room-packages/settle-in-sundays/

Looks decent for a Friday night too >>> https://www.hotelduvin.com/offers/room-packages/fabulous-fridays/

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I get the groupon e mails regularly and the only one we have used that was reasonable is the burger one at Aberdeen Steak house when wife comes out of her late hospital appointment at Royal Sussex. Burger and Chips x 2 for £6.99. It is usually about 6.30 so she doesnt want to get back home and start cooking so have used that a couple of times. Thankfully she has now been given the all clear so no more hospital visits, just a 3 month check up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Some great restaurants in the Bournemouth/Poole conurbation actually, we eat there from time to time as it's where my out-laws live. A good two and a half to three hour's driving away though, even more at busy times.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Latest on Groupon for Cafe Rouge

Deal Ends 3 days
200+ bought today
1,000+ bought

For two: steak frites with glass of wine
Over 1,000 bought
£37.40
£16
57% off

For four: steak frites with glass of wine
Over 130 bought
£74.80
£32
57% off

For six: steak frites with glass of wine
Over 20 bought
£112.20
£48
57% off
Buy
Give as a Gift
SHARE THIS DEAL

Cafe Rouge - Multiple Locations: Steak Frites and Wine for Two, Four or Six at Café Rouge, Multiple Locations (Up To 57% Off)

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
My fav restaurants for a few years have been the both Riddle & Finns. However, their eye has definitely come off the ball. In the last couple of times I've been, it's been much less than acceptable. The one in Maiden Lane particularly. I shared a Fruit de Mer with a chum (that would be my death row last meal, I love it) and it was virtually tasteless. Lots of it, artistically presented but it was super cold. Super cold means no bloomin' taste. Whilst I understand shell food has to be chilled to keep it 'fresh', this really was so bad. The next visit my son had the halibut and it was like a piece of leather, so over cooked. I do hope they sort it out as I miss the treat of going there, big time

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ended up in Giggling Squid last week after a night drinking cocktails in The Cocktail Shack that adjoins The Set and then Hotel du Vin.

It was OK - decent enough food without blowing me away. We had the veggie sharing platter (Baby gem hearts, Thai corn fritters, Oyster mushroom tempura, vegetable spring rolls) - £15.25 which was decent enough, but there's not a lot to get wrong there really.

I then had the vegetable jungle curry - £9.95 to which I added sticky rice - £3.00, with the Mrs having Pad Cha (a mixed sea food dish) - £13.95. She asked if it came with anything and was told it came with noodles. Turns out it didn't so we shared my rice.

Writing this down as I look at their online menu, those prices don't feel too bad but, at the time, it felt a touch expensive for what we were having - particularly the starter. My view may have been influenced by overhearing the couple behind me who, as we arrived, had just received their bill. The lady of the couple was incredulous that their bill was as much as it was and they were debating it between themselves quite loudly. I assume the bill was correct, as they didn't seem to raise it with the waiting staff, but they were clearly surprised at how much they'd spent!

6/10 - not bad, but I'm not sure we'd hurry back.

(Cocktail Shack - 9/10 - lovely spot and nice vibe for drinks)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ended up in Giggling Squid last week after a night drinking cocktails in The Cocktail Shack that adjoins The Set and then Hotel du Vin.

It was OK - decent enough food without blowing me away. We had the veggie sharing platter (Baby gem hearts, Thai corn fritters, Oyster mushroom tempura, vegetable spring rolls) - £15.25 which was decent enough, but there's not a lot to get wrong there really.

I then had the vegetable jungle curry - £9.95 to which I added sticky rice - £3.00, with the Mrs having Pad Cha (a mixed sea food dish) - £13.95. She asked if it came with anything and was told it came with noodles. Turns out it didn't so we shared my rice.

Writing this down as I look at their online menu, those prices don't feel too bad but, at the time, it felt a touch expensive for what we were having - particularly the starter. My view may have been influenced by overhearing the couple behind me who, as we arrived, had just received their bill. The lady of the couple was incredulous that their bill was as much as it was and they were debating it between themselves quite loudly. I assume the bill was correct, as they didn't seem to raise it with the waiting staff, but they were clearly surprised at how much they'd spent!

6/10 - not bad, but I'm not sure we'd hurry back.

(Cocktail Shack - 9/10 - lovely spot and nice vibe for drinks)

Yep - think that's a fair review. I'm hoping it'll be better next time I go.

We're off to Ceremony tonight. I mention it because it bills itself as "Ceremony is a new restaurant and bar in NW5 serving modern British dishes that happen to be vegetarian.", which I thought may be of interest to you.

There's little point providing a link to the website, because the above sentence is all that is there (tres hipster), other than a link to the booking pages; but Coren raves over it, and The Nudge (https://thenudge.com/london-restaurants/ceremony/) likes it too. We'll see. No meat or fish? :nono:

Edit: some photos on their instagram account... https://www.instagram.com/ceremonyrestaurant/

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
its ok but IMHO the menu is restricted as they do not do steak, which is usually my choice.

Something of a surprise really, but your right, very few, if any, of the main Italian chain restaurants have steak on their menu, Zizzi, Ask, Strada, Prezzo et al. I would ahve thought that steak in it's various forms, would have sold quite well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Something of a surprise really, but your right, very few, if any, of the main Italian chain restaurants have steak on their menu, Zizzi, Ask, Strada, Prezzo et al. I would ahve thought that steak in it's various forms, would have sold quite well.

Yet most standard Italian restaurants serve it with or with out some form of sauce.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve just booked Polpo in Brighton. Anyone been?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also, following some good recommendations, booked Etch for my Xmas Man Squad night out (and my favourite St John)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here