Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Simon who has the lease on that pub has just taken over the pub in Scaynes Hill , The Inn on the Green it was called but not sure what it is called now. I was told that he is a very good chef but perhaps not.

Think it's still The Inn on The Green. Was previously The Farmers. Used to be ok but not been there for a while. Garden out the back is massive, great if you have kids that want to run about.

Just remembered this thread.
Latino America. Wow. Went a fortnight ago and it was quite simply the best steak dinner I have ever had by an absolute mile.
MPW's rib eye that I had about 5 years ago was top of the list until I went here.
It was rammed, the service was awesome and the food was amazing.
I had the rump, sirloin and fillet and I can honestly say all were just perfect. Chargrilled taste with the buttery sweetness and melt in the mouth goodness. Perfection.
I've had a lot of steaks in my life but this was the best. No doubt.

10/10

Must try this. Best steak I've had in the UK so far has been at Goodman's in Canary Wharf - they are spectacular (but so are the prices).

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Anyone been to Pascere yet?

Went last night and chose the taster menu. The cooking is flawless, the wine list, particularly the wide choice of wine by the glass is high quality, the service was attentive, but not invasive, but it does feel like they are playing things a little safe. We spent a lot of money last night, it is possible to experience this place and spend a lot less, so don't let that put anyone off, however it was good but not memorable. Location wise you can sit in the middle of pedestrianised Duke Street or inside the smallish two floored restaurant, we chose the latter. The background music was a mixture of trance and funk that I just found irritating, even if the volume was not particularly encroaching.

The showcase dishes from the taster menu were chicken and trout, both were very good, but unsurprisingly neither was inspirational. This is very early days, but I think they are going to need to have deep pockets and some key changes to make this place work in Brighton. Why? because the restaurant scene locally is very much on the up and there are plenty of excellent alternatives. I felt the vibe was more Chichester/Cheltenham/Harrogate than Brighton, despite the largely youngish crowd. I wish them luck.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Latino America - really does tick all the boxes after a flight on the i360.

Mixed sausage starter and steak sandwich, superb and washed down with an Argentinian Red

This place is steaktastic

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Got a takeaway from Chillies on Windmill Parade yesterday.

I usually buy a chicken madras but found it not hot enough on the last occasion so plumped for the chicken phall. I bought a special fried rice and garlic naan.

The restaurant took fifteen minutes to prepare this whilst I did some shopping in Londis next door. They supply an onion relish and two poppadoms with all orders it seems.

The phall was probably the best curry I've tasted from takeaways and seated restaurant and reasonably priced.

Jul 7, 2003
Went our for Sunday Lunch today at The George at Burpham. Not the cheapest but very good food. You can have two courses for £22.95 or three for £27. We had a mixture of starters which were all very good. The roast dinners came out with plenty of meat - my beef was three long, thick slices of sirloin - and four big potatoes each which were very nicely cooked together with a nice big Yorkshire pudding. A generous portion of vegetables to share was served on the side. All very good.

To finish, we had a mixture of desserts including a huge pavlova that could have served two. The accompanying local ice creams were very tasty. The pub has a couple of local ales and a wine list which although not cheap, was high on quality.

Bill for four of us including drinks was £140 so not the cheapest but highly recommended.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Glad that you enjoyed it but at £22..95 for a 2 course roast I would expect it to be excellent.

Indeed, and if you add a bottle of any kind of teasonable quality wine to the meal, and you are probably talking about a bill approaching £70 for two. Seems like a lot of money to me, but what do l know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
VFM doesn't mean "cheap" though does it?

VFM can be achieved at a wide range of price levels.

Indeed but other than the meat there is very little that you can do with roast potatoes and accompanying veg. It is either cooked or not but I do remember in my early days being told by a top chef that there is no such thing as being cooked correctly. Just cook it as you thi nk it should be done and some will like it that way and come back some may not and wont come back. You just have to make sure there is more that like it than dont.

So much so that if you ask a pub to cater for large number they will invariably try to steer you towards a roast.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The guy has got quite the CV. Looks relly interesting.

I was a bit disappointed actually. It seems it's just the main ingredient which is locally sourced....which isn't particular new or interesting in my opinion.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was a bit disappointed actually. It seems it's just the main ingredient which is locally sourced....which isn't particular new or interesting in my opinion.

Quite true actually. Plenty of places doing that already in town. The guy has clearly got some talent though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This looks an interesting addition to the Brighton food scene...

http://10radius.co.uk/

I can't sy that looks particularly inspiring.

To a degree, as a self confessed quantity over quality man, the menu tells you precisely nothing about the meal. Just saying things like Beef - Watercress - Turnip , gives no indication of how the meal is put together. What cut is the meat? how is it cooked? Just saying beef it could be anything from entrecote to braising steak!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite true actually. Plenty of places doing that already in town. The guy has clearly got some talent though.

As an aside I've been to this place https://www.nobelhartundschmutzig.com. These guys really push the idea of locally sourced quite far. They source within Brandenburg with a few exceptions like the Baltic coast for salt. But, there's noticeably no pepper, spices, citrus fruits etc. It really does force creativity when you have such restrictions. In the main it worked and it's a lovely vibe and venue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here