Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
That is quite an ask! What kind of food do you like, any idea on budget?

I don't mind treating myself, but nothing overly pretentious. I'm staying in Battersea and the training itself is in Hammersmith, but I don't mind heading a little further - say, Soho or Greenwich. I'm not fussy at all as to what I eat, although I fancy a change from Italian and burgers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't mind treating myself, but nothing overly pretentious. I'm staying in Battersea and the training itself is in Hammersmith, but I don't mind heading a little further - say, Soho or Greenwich. I'm not fussy at all as to what I eat, although I fancy a change from Italian and burgers.

If you don't mind treating yourself try this https://www.stjohngroup.uk.com ?
The Smithfield restaurant and bar is my suggestion. You'll need to book asap though. Arrive early for a craft beer/ale in their bar then accend the stairs to the dining room.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Naaz - Lancing

Interesting "compact" curry house by Lancing station and a gem to say the least.

Superb curries all round, real flavour and spiced spot on but book as gets very busy.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Work thing out at the Hartington the other night. Food poor. Flacid calamari which was not cooked at a high enough heat followed by really oily fish and chips which I made it about a third of the way through. Shame really as it's a decent enough boozer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, it's not a Brighton joint, but on HT's recommendation, we went to AlFrash in Birmingham on the night before the Villa game. It transpires that he was in there at 6, and we arrived later at about 7.30 to 8. It's quite brilliant, and stunning VFM -- a lot of food was eaten for less than £20 a head (it's BYO). Amongst several highlights, the standout dish was their butterfly chicken, which is the house dish, although we ate everything they recommended on the menu alongside a few other dishes. All food of a very high standard, with complex levels of spicing, building up heat and flavour.
The plan is to go back there either side of the WBA game next season.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, it's not a Brighton joint, but on HT's recommendation, we went to AlFrash in Birmingham on the night before the Villa game. It transpires that he was in there at 6, and we arrived later at about 7.30 to 8. It's quite brilliant, and stunning VFM -- a lot of food was eaten for less than £20 a head (it's BYO). Amongst several highlights, the standout dish was their butterfly chicken, which is the house dish, although we ate everything they recommended on the menu alongside a few other dishes. All food of a very high standard, with complex levels of spicing, building up heat and flavour.
The plan is to go back there either side of the WBA game next season.

Nice one. Really pleased you liked it and it is quite incredible quality and value. I like the BYO angle as well. I bought a 4 pint take out of Oakham Citra IPA (cask) which paired very nicely. I shall be at WBA as well; maybe our paths will cross.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nice one. Really pleased you liked it and it is quite incredible quality and value. I like the BYO angle as well. I bought a 4 pint take out of Oakham Citra IPA (cask) which paired very nicely. I shall be at WBA as well; maybe our paths will cross.

We bumped into some WBA fans in The Wellington (which I can highly recommend), and they indicated that you can get the Baggies Barge from Birmingham, which takes you along the canal to near The Hawthorns.
Football, a barge, The Wellington and AlFrash: sounds a plan

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Home turf last night, La Galleria Shoreham.

Usual quality fried whitebait starter and mains of Tuscany Sausage linguine, wife had garlic mushrooms and artichoke bake.

Really worth a visit, excellent red wine so 9/10

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Bincho Yakitori on Saturday night.

Went as a group of 7 and it worked great. Japanese tapas was the way I'd explain it. VERY well priced and lovely relaxed atmosphere. Around £3/£4 per drish and we found that ordering 3 per head was more than adequate.

We don't go out much due to trying to save the pennies so this was fantastically priced for us and the food (in my opinion) was brilliant. The pork belly, chicken hearts, sweet potato and Korean Chicken wings were particular favourites.

Will definitely be returning.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nowhere near Brighton but if you find yourselves in Lisbon at any point you could do worse than getting the ferry across the river for a long lunch at Ponto Final. Set on the river away from the hustle and bustle this place serves up the freshest seafood you can get. Memories of the menu are slightly hazy but we had a great cod and chickpea dish, some sardines, then some bigger sardince, horse mackarel and I got through a bottle of very good and very cheap Vinho Verde. Even their simple salad of cucumber, tomato and lettuce stood out. Highly recommended, one of the best meals I've had. Location, food, staff and booze were all top notch. 9/10 (I don't like giving tens but this has got close).

Also can give shout outs to Quermesse in Lisbon (Octopus and some fabulous new potatoes for not much money) and 5 Sentidos in Cascais (paella, more Vinho Verde).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Somewhere new over the weekend on a Groupon - Divino in Church Road.

Deal was two steaks and two glasses of champagne for £24. It's really a wine bar but they've got a decent Italian menu and a good wine menu ( as you would expect ! ). Steaks were cooked perfectly and the veg dishes were very good. If I had some criticisms it would be that the food was a bit slow coming out and could have been hotter. It wasn't busy so I'd worry what it would be like if it was packed. Service was very friendly.

We'll definitely be going back to try other things off the menu. 7.5/10

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Been a busy boy in London this week.

Firstly a lunch at Flat Iron in Soho. The premise is there is 1 main - a Flat Iron steak costing £11, occasionally there is a 'special' different cut steak about £14-£16. Sides are £3-5 and have the usual - beef dripping chips, greens etc. Steak was a good cut, cooked very well and was perfect for a lunch. Good selection of beers and wines too by the glass - 500ml - full bottles. Only problem is it is small and the wait can be up to 2 hours for a table! I'm glad I went and would go again as excellent value for money, but you've got to time it right. 7/10.

Secondly Burger & Lobster. I've been before but this time was a bit of a splurge with a customer. Again they keep it simple - a selection of 4 burgers, lobster roll or whole lobsters in various sizes. 2 of us shared a 2.6kg 'Big Boy' which was huge. Grilled very well, lovely sauce to accompany and I don't like chips but these were really good skinny fries. Lobster was very fresh and meaty and got polished off. Glad it was not my own money (£120 for the lobster !) as we were nicely full, but not stuffed. The burgers were enjoyed but not really the speciality there, but looked like they were cooked well. Good selection of beers too, including Harveys which is a bit random. 7/10

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
First visit to 64 Degrees last night. Sat at the pass. Thought it was superb. Can't recall a better meal for a long time. The small sharing plates idea is such a social way to enjoy food and the limited menu means ordering is easy. Six dishes, modest bottle of wine, puds and service came in at £130 which I thought was exceptional value for the quality of food and service.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Di Napoli, Fuerteventura:

Simply the best pizza house in Corralejo, pizza Marinara and Mrs Hut had a Tropical. Superbly cooked, thin based and devine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh dear. Whatever happened to Spanish cuisine? When in Rome and all that.

For sure, whenever I go out in the UK I only have English food, never a curry or chinese

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
Latinoamerica Church Rd Hove

Went there Saturday , a party of six

Four really enjoyed the steaks , one ordered the Rump that was poor quality , the veg option was not good.

But the biggest complaint was upon checking the bill , extra items had been added , totalling about £ 47

Although after much apologising , not impressed.

Food 7/10
Wine list 7/10 ( didn't have our first choice and was on the expensive side)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here