Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Oct 25, 2003
I was quite disappointed by the GINGER DOG in Kemp Town. I'd heard good things have have enjoyed meals at the one in Hove (I presume they're the same company?).

Firstly, it was pretty expensive so with that I'd expect a good level of service. This was a Thursday night so not overly busy but service wasn't overly fast or attentive.

My main bug bear though is their lack of vegan options- not for me but for my wife. Most decent restaurants and certainly most pricey restaurants will provide a good vegan alternative (especially in Brighton), even if it's not on the menu. There were zero options for starter other than bread (minus butter). The only vegan main was essentially a salad with two thin strips of aubergine. Many restaurants in Brighton, and many MUCH cheaper than this place are showing real inventiveness and creativity when it comes to vegan food and it just seemed that the Ginger Dog saw it as an inconvenience. They also ran out of one of the flavours of sorbet which for a thursday night is a bit weak really.

As for my meal I had a decent enough plaice but it certainly wasn't anything special.

It was all reasonable but overall I was just a bit deflated. For the cost I'd just expect a better level of service and more interesting food

I'd give it a disappointing 5/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was quite disappointed by the GINGER DOG in Kemp Town. I'd heard good things have have enjoyed meals at the one in Hove (I presume they're the same company?).

Firstly, it was pretty expensive so with that I'd expect a good level of service. This was a Thursday night so not overly busy but service wasn't overly fast or attentive.

My main bug bear though is their lack of vegan options- not for me but for my wife. Most decent restaurants and certainly most pricey restaurants will provide a good vegan alternative (especially in Brighton), even if it's not on the menu. There were zero options for starter other than bread (minus butter). The only vegan main was essentially a salad with two thin strips of aubergine. Many restaurants in Brighton, and many MUCH cheaper than this place are showing real inventiveness and creativity when it comes to vegan food and it just seemed that the Ginger Dog saw it as an inconvenience. They also ran out of one of the flavours of sorbet which for a thursday night is a bit weak really.

As for my meal I had a decent enough plaice but it certainly wasn't anything special.

It was all reasonable but overall I was just a bit deflated. For the cost I'd just expect a better level of service and more interesting food

I'd give it a disappointing 5/10

They obviously don't cater for vegans. Not every restaurant does. I'm afraid you have to sometimes accept this.

I don't say this smugly or flippantly either; the Frau was a veggie for many years so I do partly understand.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
64 Degrees last night:

Quite simply the best and most enjoyable meal I've ever had in Brighton.

Table ready for us even though they turn them three times a night and we were early due to our cab arriving at my door about five seconds after I rang it. Seated immediately by a friendly and knowledgeable young lady. We were served over the course of the night by two young ladies and they were both excellent, able to explain the wines and the ethos of the place without ever veering in to patronising. The wine selection by the glass is superb. I couldn't help but contrast with Isaacs. There I felt we were at a lesson on English wine. At 64 Degrees they serve you wine you want to drink and that, sensibly chosen, will go with most of the dishes. Good wine does, after all, come from France, Italy and the new world.

The food itself was outstanding. For anyone who's not been there's a list of 12 dishes, four fish, four veggie and four meat. The portions are larger than a starter but smaller than a main course, you order a selection and they come, tapas style, when ready. The idea is you share with your dining partner. Not sure how this would work in a party of three but I'm sure you'd manage. They recommend five dishes between two. We had six and I was neither stuffed nor hungry but just right.

Again, to compare to Isaacs, the food has flavour and has been designed with the palate in mind rather than an ethos. Seasoning is used correctly. At Isaacs the pickled hazlenuts tasted of hazlenut. At 64 Degrees the pickled shallots taste of pickle and shallot. The tomato, basil and creme fraiche dish was off the scale, just cold tomatoes with pesto ostensibly, yet so much more. Halfway through my teeth cracked through a whole crystal of sea salt, buried deep in one of the tomatoes and I wanted to get up and thank the chef personally.

Meat was perfectly cooked though the pork belly was the only dish that divided us. I loved it while my wife would have preferred some crackling and found the sauce too sharp. The beef rump dish is perfection, just nicely cooked beef, pickled bits, a crunchy crumb and a sauce you could mop up all night.

Puddings are individual and delicious.

We were sat at a table near the door rather than watching the chef's work and I think I preferred it. Watching Brighton nightlife on a Friday in Spring is far more entertaining than seeing someone plate up.

Loved it so much we rebooked for my wife's birthday as I paid the bill.

A stonking 9.5 out of 10, leaving half a point of room for them to exceed even that when we go back.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to Edendum (Italian restaurant) on East Street recently and was pretty impressed with the freshen up of the menu.

All high quality ingredients sourced from Italy and owners are really passionate foodies.

Had the burrata with pea puree, red oranges & balsamic and it was excellent - lovely and creamy.

The gnocci was also very good, melt in the mouth - not stodgy at all.

Pizza dough (made fresh every day) was pillowy soft and toppings delicious (fig and parma ham) but I recommend the red bases rather than the white ones - pizza isn't pizza without tomato!

But desserts were the main highlight. I had the hot vanilla ice cream in almonds on a berry sauce and it was heavenly.

8/10 - great for groups/families.

Full review: http://foodieeshe.com/edendum-brighton-review/

I used to work walking distance from there and myself and Mrs W were regulars at lunchtime and after work. A hidden jewel. I also like the Italian a bit further down on the corner opposite Days - All'Angolo - the food is always spot on and fresh.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to Edendum (Italian restaurant) on East Street recently and was pretty impressed with the freshen up of the menu.

All high quality ingredients sourced from Italy and owners are really passionate foodies.

Had the burrata with pea puree, red oranges & balsamic and it was excellent - lovely and creamy.

The gnocci was also very good, melt in the mouth - not stodgy at all.

Pizza dough (made fresh every day) was pillowy soft and toppings delicious (fig and parma ham) but I recommend the red bases rather than the white ones - pizza isn't pizza without tomato!

But desserts were the main highlight. I had the hot vanilla ice cream in almonds on a berry sauce and it was heavenly.

8/10 - great for groups/families.

Full review: http://foodieeshe.com/edendum-brighton-review/

Thanks - both my kids love Italian so we'll add this to our "to do" list :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
64 Degrees last night:

Table ready for us even though they turn them three times a night and we were early due to our cab arriving at my door about five seconds after I rang it. Seated immediately by a friendly and knowledgeable young lady. We were served over the course of the night by two young ladies and they were both excellent, able to explain the wines and the ethos of the place without ever veering in to patronising. The wine selection by the glass is superb. I couldn't help but contrast with Isaacs. There I felt we were at a lesson on English wine. At 64 Degrees they serve you wine you want to drink and that, sensibly chosen, will go with most of the dishes. Good wine does, after all, come from France, Italy and the new world.

The food itself was outstanding. For anyone who's not been there's a list of 12 dishes, four fish, four veggie and four meat. The portions are larger than a starter but smaller than a main course, you order a selection and they come, tapas style, when ready. The idea is you share with your dining partner. Not sure how this would work in a party of three but I'm sure you'd manage. They recommend five dishes between two. We had six and I was neither stuffed nor hungry but just right.

Again, to compare to Isaacs, the food has flavour and has been designed with the palate in mind rather than an ethos. Seasoning is used correctly. At Isaacs the pickled hazlenuts tasted of hazlenut. At 64 Degrees the pickled shallots taste of pickle and shallot. The tomato, basil and creme fraiche dish was off the scale, just cold tomatoes with pesto ostensibly, yet so much more. Halfway through my teeth cracked through a whole crystal of sea salt, buried deep in one of the tomatoes and I wanted to get up and thank the chef personally.

Meat was perfectly cooked though the pork belly was the only dish that divided us. I loved it while my wife would have preferred some crackling and found the sauce too sharp. The beef rump dish is perfection, just nicely cooked beef, pickled bits, a crunchy crumb and a sauce you could mop up all night.

We were sat at a table near the door rather than watching the chef's work and I think I preferred it. Watching Brighton nightlife on a Friday in Spring is far more entertaining than seeing someone plate up.

A stonking 9.5 out of 10, leaving half a point of room for them to exceed even that when we go back.

Yeah. I really need to go back. Maybe I'll surprise the wife at some point.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, I finally made it to Burger Bros. I can see what the fuss is about and in a very crowded market place I can understand why they stand out. I went for a bespoke blue cheese and bacon but as they don't do bacon I had flash-fried Serrano ham. A dash of cracked pepper mayo topped it off. The fried ham added slight crisp texture to what can be a sloppy experience. And the seeded bun, slightly fried on the griddle, was a break from the typical brioche you get these days. For the burger itself I'm not sure what I can say other than it was great, tasty and felt lovingly made.

It's obvious competitor is Trolls and BB is a slightly more refined item than Troll and my favoured The Bird Dr Zian ; please note this is not a criticism. But, where BB wins is, imho, from two things. First they have numerous extra things at your disposal, like Serrano ham and chorizo, and especially sauces. I'd like to go back and sit in their place with some bread simply dredging through these sauces...wasabi mayo...mmmmm. Secondly, there's a really nice fun riendly vibe about the venue and the guys running it. It all adds up to something special. My only criticism is they use the term "Tommy K" on their menu.

Oh, they warned me it would take 15 mins so I decamped to the Fountain Head and sat in the sun with a half of Burning Sky Aurora. Sometimes life is too easy.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I had another Burger in Brewdog. Their Jackpot Burger with black pudding, paired with, Jack Hammer, is worthy of mention. There needs to be more black pudding on menus.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
JBs Diner, pre-match.

Wife and youngest had burgers and I had a steak. To be fair the food is very reasonable and well cooked so nice meal to settle the nerves, shame about the match.

7/10

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Julien Plumart on Queens Road.

I've had the macarons from here on multiple occasions - they are a superb gift for the sweet-toothed in your life - but went back on Sunday with Mrs MBH for the full afternoon tea and it didn;t disappoint.

For £16 you get:
A warmed roasted tomato, basil & mozarella roll
Crustless gruyere and ham sandwiches
One macaron of your choice
One cake of your choice
A warmed chocolate brownie and your choice of ice cream
Tea or coffee

It's all very, very good, but what makes it excellent value is the choice of cakes. There are so many places in town where you can buy a very decent rustic looking slab of cake, but these are on a different level. JP's creations are light, delicate and intricately (and beautifully) decorated. I had the black forest cake and it was absolutely stunning.

I'm no expert, but for my money it's a better value afternoon tea than The Grand. Take your significant other (or Mum, or whoever) and they will be exceedingly grateful.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So, I finally made it to Burger Bros. I can see what the fuss is about and in a very crowded market place I can understand why they stand out. I went for a bespoke blue cheese and bacon but as they don't do bacon I had flash-fried Serrano ham. A dash of cracked pepper mayo topped it off. The fried ham added slight crisp texture to what can be a sloppy experience. And the seeded bun, slightly fried on the griddle, was a break from the typical brioche you get these days. For the burger itself I'm not sure what I can say other than it was great, tasty and felt lovingly made.

It's obvious competitor is Trolls and BB is a slightly more refined item than Troll and my favoured The Bird Dr Zian ; please note this is not a criticism. But, where BB wins is, imho, from two things. First they have numerous extra things at your disposal, like Serrano ham and chorizo, and especially sauces. I'd like to go back and sit in their place with some bread simply dredging through these sauces...wasabi mayo...mmmmm. Secondly, there's a really nice fun riendly vibe about the venue and the guys running it. It all adds up to something special. My only criticism is they use the term "Tommy K" on their menu.

Oh, they warned me it would take 15 mins so I decamped to the Fountain Head and sat in the sun with a half of Burning Sky Aurora. Sometimes life is too easy.

Incidentally I had a Trolls for the first time Saturday. Must admit I maybe expected a bit more. I just went for the Troll Special or whatever it was and while it was nice, especially the patties I was not blown away. There wasn't enough sauce to really taste it and the burger was a bit overcooked and crumbly. Would probably try again but Burger Bros for me based on that

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Excellent. I was in there c8.30/45 on Saturday night, and it was very busy with Albion fans. I'd recommend you go with their own creations as the combinations of ingredients do work really well, especially their Classic and the Benetton Burger. I had one of the former on Saturday, and will have one of the latter tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
64 Degrees last night:

Haven't been for 18/24 months, so will give this another go. We're returning to Set in a couple of weeks.

Jul 7, 2003
Incidentally I had a Trolls for the first time Saturday. Must admit I maybe expected a bit more. I just went for the Troll Special or whatever it was and while it was nice, especially the patties I was not blown away. There wasn't enough sauce to really taste it and the burger was a bit overcooked and crumbly. Would probably try again but Burger Bros for me based on that

I had my first visit to the Troll for a while on Saturday and had the chilli burger. I have to agree that the patty is not what it was. The flavour is still good but it is too squashed down and falls apart. I think it is because it cooks quicker and where Billie is on her own it means she can clear down the queues faster. I preferred them when they were bigger and fatter burgers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I had my first visit to the Troll for a while on Saturday and had the chilli burger. I have to agree that the patty is not what it was. The flavour is still good but it is too squashed down and falls apart. I think it is because it cooks quicker and where Billie is on her own it means she can clear down the queues faster. I preferred them when they were bigger and fatter burgers.

Pretty much sums up my experience! Bun was slightly burnt on one part too which I don't mind but added to my impression of it. Shame

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Anyone recommend a decent place in London? I've got a training weekend from tomorrow and can't decide where to go (I like to plan ahead, especially as most popular joints are fully booked well in advance).

Not fussed where or what type of food they serve, although if it's good for solo travellers that would be a bonus.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone recommend a decent place in London? I've got a training weekend from tomorrow and can't decide where to go (I like to plan ahead, especially as most popular joints are fully booked well in advance).

Not fussed where or what type of food they serve, although if it's good for solo travellers that would be a bonus.

That is quite an ask! What kind of food do you like, any idea on budget?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here