Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went for a roast at the Gun Inn in Findon. It was alright, roasts are roasts aren't they? Decent enough bit of beef, disappointing yorkie, decent spuds. The starters we shared of baked goat's cheese with beetroot and some smoked haddock 'croquetas' were probably a better reflection of the skill of the kitchen staff and probably more what they would like to be cooking but you can't not cook a roast on a sunday in a pub seemingly. Might go back for a meal there on a diffrent day. MIGHT.

6/10

Nice walk up Cissbury Ring to see the ponies beforehand.

Just seen this ! My fave pub near me and my go to place for a Sunday Roast if I need one. Agree re: starters, they have a very strong team of chefs. Be interested to see what you think on a normal menu.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Went to the 1847 restaurant (next to Bills on North Road, Brighton) for lunch with my daughters. While they were queuing out of the door at Bills, the place was empty when we arrived and when we left.

The food (vegetarian and vegan) was absolutely delicious. We had a soft drink and a plate of food each. Total cost for 3 people about £48. Bargain.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How does that compare price wise with Aberdeen Steak House which I have always found to do great steaks

Aberdeen Steak Houses are a franchise are they not? I ate in the one in Preston Street last summer. It seemed to be owned and staffed by Turks. Not that I minded that, the meal itself was fairly good, but the ambiance was sadly lacking. The restaurant was all but empty at 7pm on a Friday evening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went to the 1847 restaurant (next to Bills on North Road, Brighton) for lunch with my daughters. While they were queuing out of the door at Bills, the place was empty when we arrived and when we left.

The food (vegetarian and vegan) was absolutely delicious. We had a soft drink and a plate of food each. Total cost for 3 people about £48. Bargain.

I had lunch just around the corner from you in Chilli Pickle. No queueing but they were fully booked and we grabbed the last seats at the "banana bar".

It's a reduced menu at lunchtime, focusing on thalis presumably as it allows a quick service for those who are on a lunch break.

Great value and a very filling lunchtime meal.

d3cc58477e9baa51a147f0faa280e5f7.jpg

5d374f28e1e9830b27c564d599b39ce6.jpg

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Been to a few places last couple of weeks.

Bus Stop - very enjoyable. Good cocktails, tasty Caribbean food and a nice vibe. Nice jerk chicken and fresh fish. Bit too much chilli on the cucumber salad - blew our heads off!

Trolls Hash House again - excellent cheese and wild garlic potato waffle with a fried egg. My favourite place for lunch in town.

Dizzy Gull at Brighton Beer Dispensary. Enjoyed the salt beef Rueben with a shared portion of chips. Menu all seems a bit on the heavy side to me. Has anyone tried the mac'n'cheese burger with chips? How much of a carb overload is that?

Finally Moshimo. Just great packed out on half price Monday. Is there any other restaurant in Brighton to match it if being consistently excellent over a prolonged time? Must be 20 years since they opened and never had anything less than great there.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Shame we in all probability won't be playing QPR for a while, as Albertine at the bottom of Wood Lane is a cracker. I wonder whether [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] was in there. It's Allegra McEvedy's new gaff, and is a wine bar/bistro style downstairs with a restaurant upstairs (we didn't go to the latter). Had a selection of dishes and a few bottles of wine beforehand, and then went back after the game, bought another bottle a plate of cheese, and bought a takeaway bottle for the train home. We were on our way.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm in Brum tomorrow ahead of the game, anyone with knowledge of the area know any decent places to eat for lunch? Preferably close to New St station. I'm not fussy with cuisine, although ideally something more substantial than a sandwich would be lovely. Don't mind splurging a little bit (treat myself), but as it will be the main thing I eat all day, any suggestions should take a large appetite into the equation.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Shame we in all probability won't be playing QPR for a while, as Albertine at the bottom of Wood Lane is a cracker. I wonder whether [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] was in there. It's Allegra McEvedy's new gaff, and is a wine bar/bistro style downstairs with a restaurant upstairs (we didn't go to the latter). Had a selection of dishes and a few bottles of wine beforehand, and then went back after the game, bought another bottle a plate of cheese, and bought a takeaway bottle for the train home. We were on our way.

Regrettably, I had to bail on QPR at short notice. It's ok though, it's not as though the results that day affected our season too much or I missed a particularly good free kick from an unlikely source :facepalm:

However, we're eating in the restaurant two weeks tomorrow! Glad you enjoyed it...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Last night I finally got to Bus Stop for their Caribbean offerings. After reading a lot of good reviews I was pretty up for this one and there were some really good bits, but I felt a little flatter than my companions who enjoyed it more than me.

We started with the undoubted highlight of the meal, the Pickled Sea Cat . Octopus and smoked salmon with tomato and cucumber in a really bouncy vinaigrette.

The calamari was fine but they went a bit OTT on the batter for my liking and it could have been fresher.

The dhal was enjoyed by the vegetarians and I’ll be having that if I return (halfsies with the picked sea cat).

My main was the fried chicken served with macaroni pie. This is where my meal fell flat. The chicken was underspiced and I think their oil was not hot enough. You really could get better at KFC. The mac pie was okay but too big for a side order.

I tasted the missus’ blackened bream was which beautiful and the chips were on point. Would get that next time.

The cheesecake has been getting rave reviews and was fine, but nothing mind blowing.

Drinks fine, rum punch at 7.50 needs to be a bit punchier though if you ask me. Decent Albarino at 25 quid.

In conclusion, I will give them anopther go and choose differently. The service was friendly and as informal as you’d expect from such an establishment.

6/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Crowdfunding news of the week: renowned Brighton Indian restaurant the Chilli Pickle is campaigning to raise funds for a roll-out across the south of England. They are looking at towns like Winchester and Tunbridge Wells. For more information, visit growthdeck.com"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I went to St John again on Thursday to catch up with a couple of good friends. Who knew plain old beef mince could be sooooo good?

Attachments

• IMG_6626.JPG
    IMG_6626.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 346

Jul 7, 2003
As an aside I went to St John again on Thursday to catch up with a couple of good friends. Who knew plain old beef mince could be sooooo good?

Forgot to ask you about that on Friday. Is that fried bread that the mince is on in the picture?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forgot to ask you about that on Friday. Is that fried bread that the mince is on in the picture?

The menu said beef mince on dripping toast. But it was bread lightly fried in beef dripping.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The menu said beef mince on dripping toast. But it was bread lightly fried in beef dripping.

That must have cost all of £1.50 to produce. What price was on the menu at? I fully realize that the sale price has no relation to the cost but just curious as I recently saw a slice of bacon suet roly poly with vegetables on a menu at £18.50

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That must have cost all of £1.50 to produce. What price was on the menu at? I fully realize that the sale price has no relation to the cost but just curious as I recently saw a slice of bacon suet roly poly with vegetables on a menu at £18.50

£19.80 for just the mince on the toast. Veg extra.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Bacon suet pudding, now that's my kind of food . . . probably not at £18.50 though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Here's the full menu

Attachments

• IMG_6623.JPG
    IMG_6623.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 272

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Edendum - Menu Refresh

Went to Edendum (Italian restaurant) on East Street recently and was pretty impressed with the freshen up of the menu.

All high quality ingredients sourced from Italy and owners are really passionate foodies.

Had the burrata with pea puree, red oranges & balsamic and it was excellent - lovely and creamy.

The gnocci was also very good, melt in the mouth - not stodgy at all.

Pizza dough (made fresh every day) was pillowy soft and toppings delicious (fig and parma ham) but I recommend the red bases rather than the white ones - pizza isn't pizza without tomato!

But desserts were the main highlight. I had the hot vanilla ice cream in almonds on a berry sauce and it was heavenly.

8/10 - great for groups/families.

Full review: http://foodieeshe.com/edendum-brighton-review/

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here