Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Have been to both Ephesus and the sister restaurant Efes in Worthing. Both good value for money and decent food - something a bit different from the norm if you steer clear of the shish.
Thought you might be referring to the one in Haywards Heath for a moment. Anyone know if that's still there, many a drunken meals were consumed in the past?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Think I'm going to give this Ephesus in Brighton a go. Sounds promising.

Does anyone know if the set menus are available at weekends as well? I'm on a budget.

I'm always on a budget :lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you ever find yourself in NW Surrey (Ewell, Cheam [a pint? That's an armful], Tolworth, Ashtead etc), and fancy fish and chips, you could do a great deal worse than rocking up to a Superfish branch. They're a family firm of 7 branches, all in NW Surrey. Beef dripping, hand cut chips, free plate of prawns, free baguette and butter. Licensed. Massive piece of Huss (my favourite, and yes, I am starting to feel guilty about eating it), huge pile of chips. £7.80. Really fresh, excellent crispy batter. Amongst the best I've ever had. Ewell branch is the best - Harry, the manager for 35 years has retired and handed over to Matt who was his apprentice fryer for 6 years. Still excellent.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
IMG_2176.JPG

Troll's Hash House. Duck, rhubarb and wild garlic hash plus cheese and wild garlic potato waffle with a fried egg. £11. Absolutely superb.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you ever find yourself in NW Surrey (Ewell, Cheam [a pint? That's an armful], Tolworth, Ashtead etc), and fancy fish and chips, you could do a great deal worse than rocking up to a Superfish branch. They're a family firm of 7 branches, all in NW Surrey. Beef dripping, hand cut chips, free plate of prawns, free baguette and butter. Licensed. Massive piece of Huss (my favourite, and yes, I am starting to feel guilty about eating it), huge pile of chips. £7.80. Really fresh, excellent crispy batter. Amongst the best I've ever had. Ewell branch is the best - Harry, the manager for 35 years has retired and handed over to Matt who was his apprentice fryer for 6 years. Still excellent.

Good shout that....went to one (I think) in Surbiton with relatives who live nearby a while ago. Excellent fish and chips.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you ever find yourself in NW Surrey (Ewell, Cheam [a pint? That's an armful], Tolworth, Ashtead etc), and fancy fish and chips, you could do a great deal worse than rocking up to a Superfish branch. They're a family firm of 7 branches, all in NW Surrey. Beef dripping, hand cut chips, free plate of prawns, free baguette and butter. Licensed. Massive piece of Huss (my favourite, and yes, I am starting to feel guilty about eating it), huge pile of chips. £7.80. Really fresh, excellent crispy batter. Amongst the best I've ever had. Ewell branch is the best - Harry, the manager for 35 years has retired and handed over to Matt who was his aio andlooking in the internert it is still in Eewepprentice fryer for 6 years. Still excellent.

When we lived in Ewell (74 - 86) Superfish was always very good and it is good to hear it is still as good after all rhat time. Our favourite restaurant was Il Cappricco and checking on the net it is still in Ewell Village I often wonder if it is still as good as it was and often think about going back to visit purely for nostalgia. Anybody been there recently who could confirm its status.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Our favourite restaurant was Il Cappricco and checking on the net it is still in Ewell Village I often wonder if it is still as good as it was and often think about going back to visit purely for nostalgia

Sorry sir, nostalgia's off tonight.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Chimney House, Prestonville
Been there twice now this month. I used to go about 10-15 years ago, when there was a decent chef/owner there, and there was a cracking gastropub in town. It went down hill, but has changed hands of late, and is back on form. They do really solid, gastro-pub food, well-executed, decent portions, good value. They've got classic dishes (steak and chips, fish pie) but are done with a twist (steak with fermented wild garlic; fish pie with langoustines and kale), and also will serve less-fashionable cuts from the animal (pigs head, mutton neck, etc). They also forage locally, so have interesting ingredients like alexanders, crab apple and sea buckthorn.
Highly recommended. I can't think of too many other pubs that are serving food of this quality and ambition at this price.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Pearl Liang W2, between Paddington and Little Venice.

Dim Sum for Sunday lunch. Largely Cantonese-based food, though with a smattering of Szechuan too. Historically, my favourite place to go for a long, reasonably-priced Dim Sum lunch. Brilliant xiaolongbao, better than average to very good other steamed dumplings (prawn and chive, and scallop with celery particularly notable). Good service. At least 50% of punters are Chinese.

Still very good, but just enough off its peak of three plus years ago for me to now look for other places.

£50 for enough to stuff two people sufficiently to not have to eat again that day.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Finally popped into the newly revamped Redroaster for lunch and it missed the mark somewhat. Service was slow, and a bit useless. It wasn't overly busy yet they struggled to seat us and fumbled up the minimal queue of people coming in.

The old redroaster used to do the best coffee in Brighton; it was still pretty good but lacked precision. My crab on toast (with a whole load of additional bits) was utterly delicious, but stingy as hell for £11.50 worth of scran. Mrs MBH had the pork benedict which was also very good, but VERY underseasoned. Sounds nitpicky, but this stuff matters when you're charging what they are.

Yes it looks beautiful inside, yes it's nice to sit and watch chefs doing their thing (calling for service over and over while plates were left on the pass) but I won't be rushing back.

Anyway, I was still hungry after so stopped at the new Belgian Chip place a few doors up. £3 for a medium portion of excellent chips with garlic mayo. Not bad at all.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Anyone tried the steakhouse in Lancing (Miller and Carter's I think)? It's part of a chain and seems a bit out of place in a West Sussex village of all places. I went to the Newcastle branch last year and thought it was excellent. Not cheap, but they know how to cook a steak to your liking and the ambience makes it well worth a visit in my book anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here