Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was all set to go to the bus stop today but shut Sundays ! Sake. Anyone been the jerk place in Worthing ? D D's ?

Larry Day

May 13, 2016
Haywards
Drakes - Marine Parade.

Amazing lunch -- and a steal at £20 for three courses. Mention web promo when booking.

Proper fine dining -- hake, with Sussex chorizo (?) risotto and mussels blew my socks off. Excellent wine by the glass. Cocktails (recommend the Love Potion) in the bar, while taking the sea view, before eating.

Generous portions too. Almost too big.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Valentine's day is a crock of s***t anyway. If you really love your wife/partner/significant other half, why do you have to take her out on a specific day that society tells you to?

Do it on a date to suit you. The bill will probably be cheaper too.

Although I sort of agree, she buys in to the idea that Valentines Day is a special occasion. I'm ditching her on the day to go to the Amex, so the least is I can do is take her out a few days before/after.

Not really a fan of going to restaurants that put on a special menu for Valentines day. We normally go to a restaurant that we like and run an ordinary service with their usual prices. Probably La Capannina this year. I was just curious about Skyfall as I know it's on her list of places she'd like to try. Won't be going there for Valentines day as they have a very expensive, very restrictive set menu. I'm sure she'd much rather try it when it's running properly.

chippy

Jan 6, 2017
I really recoomend Isaac@, just round the corner from the basketmakers. Very pricey, but really good food from a young team that don't have any attitude or pretence, just a real ambition to do fine dining and do it very well. A good 'occassion' destination.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Skyfall - Hove

We both had the same, scallops then a burger

Scallops, cooked perfectly with a nice puree, burgers very tasty, nice chunky chips and 'slaw.

All washed down with a very agreeable Argentinian red.

I would check the menu first as there is not a lot of choice.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Although I sort of agree, she buys in to the idea that Valentines Day is a special occasion. I'm ditching her on the day to go to the Amex, so the least is I can do is take her out a few days before/after.

Not really a fan of going to restaurants that put on a special menu for Valentines day. We normally go to a restaurant that we like and run an ordinary service with their usual prices. Probably La Capannina this year. I was just curious about Skyfall as I know it's on her list of places she'd like to try. Won't be going there for Valentines day as they have a very expensive, very restrictive set menu. I'm sure she'd much rather try it when it's running properly.
Is La Campannina any good?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Giggling Squid in Brighton last night.

My first time at one of these restaurants but I have heard good things about the food.

Food was fine, Mrs McT and I had a sharing platter to start with - all good and the salt and pepper squid was very good. Mrs had a Tom Kha soup and I had the Pad Cha - mixed seafood stirfry with a chilli and garlic sauce which was excellent - really good squid, plump mussels and all very fresh.

That's the good stuff - now the rest. We had a 6:30 reservation and arrived about 8 minutes early. We walked in and were met (greeted would certainly not be the word here) by a French (?) man you merely said "Yes?" in quite an aggressive fashion as if we were greatly inconveniencing him. We told him our name and that we had a booking after studying his piece of paper he eventually said, in a very accusing manner, "your booking is supposed to be for 6:30." He finally set off up the stairs without a word - the restaurant is a series of small rooms over three or floors - he took us into one of the rooms pointed at a table and marched off. Not another word. I am not looking for fawning lickspittles but would have thought a bit of civility might be a reasonable expectation...

The menus were so dirty that the pages had stuck together - my wife was surprised that there was no soup on the menu until she managed to wrench the relevant pages apart. The loos were like those in a particularly grim pub - one of the seats of the WC was broken, something that a quick trip to B&Q and the grand sum of £3.95 could have fixed, but as with so much of this restaurant, it seems that, outside of the kitchen, too many people don't really care.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If they have any left, try the smoked goat tacos as a starter... you can thank me later.

Temper, unfortunately, go with the flow and only do roasts on a Sunday for their extended lunch (their last booking is at 6 -- we were getting a bit upset with Brentford's time-wasting for more than one reason). That said, they did it quite fantastically. We had aubergine and miso tacos, and the crab and pickled onion/pork skin ones. Both were delicious with great chilli poke.
The roast was mixed meats, all of which worked, but one of them was smoked. I thought it was pork, but it could well have been goat (I don't think they mentioned goat on the menu, and the goat tacos weren't there on the starters menu). Whatever it was, it was sublime.
We agreed that we'll be returning there for their proper, non-mawkish menu after the QPR game.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Is La Campannina any good?

La Capannina is one of my favourite restaurants. The décor is quite old fashioned, but it's a nice change to big, modern chain restaurants. The staff are helpful and the food is good and reasonably priced. I'd highly recommend it.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I've got a friend over from Oz for the Burton game - can anyone recommend a really good curry house in Brighton? I like the Chilli Pickle but weve taken him there in the past and it's a little too different for another of my mates who's more conservative in his menu choices and prefers traditional curry houses?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got a friend over from Oz for the Burton game - can anyone recommend a really good curry house in Brighton? I like the Chilli Pickle but weve taken him there in the past and it's a little too different for another of my mates who's more conservative in his menu choices and prefers traditional curry houses?

The Ganges in Hove is a solid British tandoori house. I have had my doubts over the past year but revisited recently and it's back on form. A few pints in Brighton Bier Dispensary and you I'll have had a good night.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Eastern Eye is well worth a poke.

Oct 25, 2003
where would people recommend for an end of season do for my football team? It'll probably be around 20-30 people, not particularly rowdy but we will be doing end of season awards so could ideally do with a reasonable amount of space to ourselves. Also have a few under 18 players so ideally not a pub. We did the ashoka last year and they did ok so unless there's a decent enough alternative I'll go for that again!

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

The Ganges in Hove is a solid British tandoori house. I have had my doubts over the past year but revisited recently and it's back on form. A few pints in Brighton Bier Dispensary and you I'll have had a good night.

I went to The Ganges on Saturday for the first time in a while. The food was excellent, as always. However, the service was quite slow (but it was a busy Saturday night), and the portion sizes were tiny. Much smaller than in the past, which was quite disappointing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going out for a meal after the game Saturday, choices choices........

Might try the New Club again as it was very good

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Going out for a meal after the game Saturday, choices choices........

Might try the New Club again as it was very good

We had brunch there on a Sunday morning leading up to Christmas and it was indeed excellent. Good food and a great jalapeno bloody Mary that had a real kick in a couple of ways!

It's on my list for a dinner visit.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We had brunch there on a Sunday morning leading up to Christmas and it was indeed excellent. Good food and a great jalapeno bloody Mary that had a real kick in a couple of ways!

It's on my list for a dinner visit.

Had an excellent evening meal there late last year

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to The Ganges on Saturday for the first time in a while. The food was excellent, as always. However, the service was quite slow (but it was a busy Saturday night), and the portion sizes were tiny. Much smaller than in the past, which was quite disappointing.

Good to hear food is still on form. I don't recall my portion being small but by the time my lamb vindaloo has arrived I've demolished numerous poppdoms and a prawn purée starter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here