Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not that I eat out a lot of anything but on Saturday I took the little lady for Afternoon Tea at Terre a Terre.

For 25 quid you get a savoury plate, then a three tiered tea. Some of these bits were excellent including a great muffin with goats cheese and balsamic reduction. Also enjoyed the orange polenta cake and the scone was great, though NOT warm which was an issue.

Overall it left me a bit flat. The sweets were too rich and I think it's a bit of an after thought for them. Terre a tere could do better with this but it's clearly popular as there were a lot of people in that at 3 in the afternoon, clever way of filling the gaff during quiter periods.

Meh 5/10

I have noticed the Salt Room are doing similar, and their offering looks a lot more interesting. They, I imagine, will do brilliantly out of that in the summer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not that I eat out a lot of anything but on Saturday I took the little lady for Afternoon Tea at Terre a Terre.

For 25 quid you get a savoury plate, then a three tiered tea. Some of these bits were excellent including a great muffin with goats cheese and balsamic reduction. Also enjoyed the orange polenta cake and the scone was great, though NOT warm which was an issue.

Overall it left me a bit flat. The sweets were too rich and I think it's a bit of an after thought for them. Terre a tere could do better with this but it's clearly popular as there were a lot of people in that at 3 in the afternoon, clever way of filling the gaff during quiter periods.

Meh 5/10

I have noticed the Salt Room are doing similar, and their offering looks a lot more interesting. They, I imagine, will do brilliantly out of that in the summer.

I don't think I've eaten afternoon tea, and it still doesn't appeal, but you've gotta be impressed at their business sense in filling the gaff in quiter periods :wink:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think I've eaten afternoon tea, and it still doesn't appeal, but you've gotta be impressed at their business sense in filling the gaff in quiter periods :wink:

It has to be said, the clientele was 95% female, same with the staff as it goes.

Terre a terre is overrated IMO.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It has to be said, the clientele was 95% female, same with the staff as it goes.

Terre a terre is overrated IMO.

Been there once, no desire to go back again. Way too fiddly. I want more clarity and definition when eating, and you just get this mismatch of multiple items on a plate.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stockdales, Leeds.

Don't know if this is related in any way to our Stockdale - it might be, given he's a Leeds fan. If so, I unreservedly take back what I'm about to type.

3 people went along for an after game dinner. It's essentially a steak joint. Supposedly upmarket - steaks are "dry-aged", "28 day hung", 3 different sizes (10, 12 & 16oz), and, inevitably for such a place, Josper grilled.

Pluses: the tables are a decent size, and well spaced. The cutlery was clean.

Downsides: the food, the service, the price.

Still, 3/6 isn't so bad, is it?

My starter was scallops, which were a decent size, but too old (smelled of fish) & poorly cooked. My main was a rib-eye - no caramelisation, no way had it been cooked at "480 degrees"; over cooked (ordered medium rare, got medium well) - sent it back, got another almost identical... chips were meh.

Cocktails were universally far too sweet. Wine was good enough, but then again, once purchased by whoever does their wine buying, that's considerably harder to cock up than the food and the service.

starters and mains for 3, 3 cocktails and 1 bottle of wine. £192, excl tip.

Poor, tbh. 2/10.

Unless Stocko's family own it, in which case it's....still poor, tbh.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] I had never heard of Josper grilled.

This board is a goldmine of information.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Been there once, no desire to go back again. Way too fiddly. I want more clarity and definition when eating, and you just get this mismatch of multiple items on a plate.
Their churros used to be one of the best things in Brighton to eat; large beasts of dough with that amazing double layered pot of dark chocolate and caramel. When I went recently the sauce was shit and the churros were well stingy.

But the rosti was just as great as ever.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyone know anything about this PASCERE place opening in the lanes soon? Looks pretty schmancy.

Opens in June (at least that's the target!). Recruiting now. Will continue with Tom's focus on nose to tail eating, and cooking over open flames. There will be a tasting menu (£50-65 probably) as well as a la carte.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Opens in June (at least that's the target!). Recruiting now. Will continue with Tom's focus on nose to tail eating, and cooking over open flames. There will be a tasting menu (£50-65 probably) as well as a la carte.

I mean nothing but all the best to his next venture but I've never been overly impressed with the food I've had in his venues. The menu descriptors always look bang on but the cooking usually flatters to deceive. I will say either him or someone involved with him is a dab hand at making a snazzy website.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I mean nothing but all the best to his next venture but I've never been overly impressed with the food I've had in his venues. The menu descriptors always look bang on but the cooking usually flatters to deceive. I will say either him or someone involved with him is a dab hand at making a snazzy website.

He does seem to garner more than his fair share of detractors. I've pretty much always liked his cooking, and particularly his approach to using the whole animal, but... you're not alone.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Has anyone ever been to Galileo's in Hove before? Much kop? Often busy when I mootch past.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Double result with the Bristol City game in the end. Off to 64 Degrees on the Friday before it. Meanwhile am sampling Isaac's tonight instead as they still had space earlier in the week. Absolutely can't wait as it goes - one "Sussex Alcohol Flight" coming my way I suspect :drink:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Double result with the Bristol City game in the end. Off to 64 Degrees on the Friday before it. Meanwhile am sampling Isaac's tonight instead as they still had space earlier in the week. Absolutely can't wait as it goes - one "Sussex Alcohol Flight" coming my way I suspect :drink:

Good work. Be interested to hear your thoughts on Isaac.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just managed to squeeze in a booking at St John on a work trip. Calling [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION]

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Set yesterday. Just brilliant but everyone knew that anyway.

Trolls Hash House today for lunch. Duck and wild garlic hash with an egg chucked on top for £6.50. Utterly delicious.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Good work. Be interested to hear your thoughts on Isaac.

Issac At:

Forgive me NSC. I really wanted to love it and I'm 100% behind the values that underpin the ethos but this was a meal, not even of two halves, but of three thirds. Unfortunately, the worst third was the food.

Of the three courses that were supposed to be served hot, two were cold. There's no hiding from this when you have a camera showing everything that's happening on the pass, all your faults are laid bare. So it was that we watched our food being meticulously, but slowly, plated at the same time as another table of two and then watched ours die under heat lamps while the other table was served. That would have been bad enough (my wife would have sent back the meat course but it was already nearly 10.00 pm and we were starving) but everything is just a little bland, it all tastes the same, I get that everything is local but if you can stretch to sugar from 140 miles away surely you can find some local salt and pepper? A local chilli grower? If you want the food summed up here it's that congealed egg yolk is used as sauce (it really isn't guys) and that venison enhances a dish by being dried and grated rather than by being braised till next Tuesday and used to make a lovely dollop of jus or gel. And when you sit that close to the kitchen you really notice the absence of that lovely sound when a screamingly fresh piece of meat hits a hot pan.

It's a shame because everything else is wonderful. It's a light, comfortable, trendy room with a cracking atmosphere. The wait staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The English wine challenged and amused me - who knew I liked English red, I certainly didn't till last night. Even here, though the concept stifles it a little. Serving a quarter - yes a quarter - of a bottle of cider as part of an alcohol flight costing nearly £30 is taking the mick a bit. But that's nit picking. Front of house great, drinks great.

However, ultimately, you go for the food. When you try and show off like this you need a brigade that can plate precisely AND quickly and you need a palate that doesn't constantly err towards bland or tart.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Set yesterday. Just brilliant but everyone knew that anyway.

Trolls Hash House today for lunch. Duck and wild garlic hash with an egg chucked on top for £6.50. Utterly delicious.

Is this hash as in, say, American corned beef hash? I'm trying to get an idea what his new venture is.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Issac At:

Forgive me NSC. I really wanted to love it and I'm 100% behind the values that underpin the ethos but this was a meal, not even of two halves, but of three thirds. Unfortunately, the worst third was the food.

Of the three courses that were supposed to be served hot, two were cold. There's no hiding from this when you have a camera showing everything that's happening on the pass, all your faults are laid bare. So it was that we watched our food being meticulously, but slowly, plated at the same time as another table of two and then watched ours die under heat lamps while the other table was served. That would have been bad enough (my wife would have sent back the meat course but it was already nearly 10.00 pm and we were starving) but everything is just a little bland, it all tastes the same, I get that everything is local but if you can stretch to sugar from 140 miles away surely you can find some local salt and pepper? A local chilli grower? If you want the food summed up here it's that congealed egg yolk is used as sauce (it really isn't guys) and that venison enhances a dish by being dried and grated rather than by being braised till next Tuesday and used to make a lovely dollop of jus or gel. And when you sit that close to the kitchen you really notice the absence of that lovely sound when a screamingly fresh piece of meat hits a hot pan.

It's a shame because everything else is wonderful. It's a light, comfortable, trendy room with a cracking atmosphere. The wait staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The English wine challenged and amused me - who knew I liked English red, I certainly didn't till last night. Even here, though the concept stifles it a little. Serving a quarter - yes a quarter - of a bottle of cider as part of an alcohol flight costing nearly £30 is taking the mick a bit. But that's nit picking. Front of house great, drinks great.

However, ultimately, you go for the food. When you try and show off like this you need a brigade that can plate precisely AND quickly and you need a palate that doesn't constantly err towards bland or tart.

I must admit I'm slightly disappointed to read this. One can't excuse food that's been sitting around getting cold. Whilst I note there were other issues would the two cold courses being warm have made a big difference to your overall feeling? Reason I ask is that's a simple thing to rectify....the others are not.

I've noticed beer is now starting to appear in drinks pairings a fair bit now and given some of the ridiculously experimental, strong and complex beers now out there I think it's a good thing. Last place I went to just charged us the price for the bottle we split.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here