Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2017

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Opens in June (at least that's the target!). Recruiting now. Will continue with Tom's focus on nose to tail eating, and cooking over open flames. There will be a tasting menu (50-65 probably) as well as a la carte.
    I mean nothing but all the best to his next venture but I've never been overly impressed with the food I've had in his venues. The menu descriptors always look bang on but the cooking usually flatters to deceive. I will say either him or someone involved with him is a dab hand at making a snazzy website.
    Lets all do the conga

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by pishhead View Post
      I mean nothing but all the best to his next venture but I've never been overly impressed with the food I've had in his venues. The menu descriptors always look bang on but the cooking usually flatters to deceive. I will say either him or someone involved with him is a dab hand at making a snazzy website.
      He does seem to garner more than his fair share of detractors. I've pretty much always liked his cooking, and particularly his approach to using the whole animal, but... you're not alone.
      6EQUJ5 2A

0 Not allowed!
      Has anyone ever been to Galileo's in Hove before? Much kop? Often busy when I mootch past.
      It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the f*cking century.
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Double result with the Bristol City game in the end. Off to 64 Degrees on the Friday before it. Meanwhile am sampling Isaac's tonight instead as they still had space earlier in the week. Absolutely can't wait as it goes - one "Sussex Alcohol Flight" coming my way I suspect
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      Double result with the Bristol City game in the end. Off to 64 Degrees on the Friday before it. Meanwhile am sampling Isaac's tonight instead as they still had space earlier in the week. Absolutely can't wait as it goes - one "Sussex Alcohol Flight" coming my way I suspect
      Good work. Be interested to hear your thoughts on Isaac.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

1 Not allowed!
      I've just managed to squeeze in a booking at St John on a work trip. Calling @Machiavelli
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      The Set yesterday. Just brilliant but everyone knew that anyway.

Trolls Hash House today for lunch. Duck and wild garlic hash with an egg chucked on top for 6.50. Utterly delicious.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Good work. Be interested to hear your thoughts on Isaac.
      Issac At:

Forgive me NSC. I really wanted to love it and I'm 100% behind the values that underpin the ethos but this was a meal, not even of two halves, but of three thirds. Unfortunately, the worst third was the food.

Of the three courses that were supposed to be served hot, two were cold. There's no hiding from this when you have a camera showing everything that's happening on the pass, all your faults are laid bare. So it was that we watched our food being meticulously, but slowly, plated at the same time as another table of two and then watched ours die under heat lamps while the other table was served. That would have been bad enough (my wife would have sent back the meat course but it was already nearly 10.00 pm and we were starving) but everything is just a little bland, it all tastes the same, I get that everything is local but if you can stretch to sugar from 140 miles away surely you can find some local salt and pepper? A local chilli grower? If you want the food summed up here it's that congealed egg yolk is used as sauce (it really isn't guys) and that venison enhances a dish by being dried and grated rather than by being braised till next Tuesday and used to make a lovely dollop of jus or gel. And when you sit that close to the kitchen you really notice the absence of that lovely sound when a screamingly fresh piece of meat hits a hot pan.

It's a shame because everything else is wonderful. It's a light, comfortable, trendy room with a cracking atmosphere. The wait staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The English wine challenged and amused me - who knew I liked English red, I certainly didn't till last night. Even here, though the concept stifles it a little. Serving a quarter - yes a quarter - of a bottle of cider as part of an alcohol flight costing nearly 30 is taking the mick a bit. But that's nit picking. Front of house great, drinks great.

However, ultimately, you go for the food. When you try and show off like this you need a brigade that can plate precisely AND quickly and you need a palate that doesn't constantly err towards bland or tart.
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by MattBackHome View Post
      The Set yesterday. Just brilliant but everyone knew that anyway.

Trolls Hash House today for lunch. Duck and wild garlic hash with an egg chucked on top for 6.50. Utterly delicious.
      Is this hash as in, say, American corned beef hash? I'm trying to get an idea what his new venture is.

1 Not allowed!
      Issac At:

Forgive me NSC. I really wanted to love it and I'm 100% behind the values that underpin the ethos but this was a meal, not even of two halves, but of three thirds. Unfortunately, the worst third was the food.

Of the three courses that were supposed to be served hot, two were cold. There's no hiding from this when you have a camera showing everything that's happening on the pass, all your faults are laid bare. So it was that we watched our food being meticulously, but slowly, plated at the same time as another table of two and then watched ours die under heat lamps while the other table was served. That would have been bad enough (my wife would have sent back the meat course but it was already nearly 10.00 pm and we were starving) but everything is just a little bland, it all tastes the same, I get that everything is local but if you can stretch to sugar from 140 miles away surely you can find some local salt and pepper? A local chilli grower? If you want the food summed up here it's that congealed egg yolk is used as sauce (it really isn't guys) and that venison enhances a dish by being dried and grated rather than by being braised till next Tuesday and used to make a lovely dollop of jus or gel. And when you sit that close to the kitchen you really notice the absence of that lovely sound when a screamingly fresh piece of meat hits a hot pan.

It's a shame because everything else is wonderful. It's a light, comfortable, trendy room with a cracking atmosphere. The wait staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The English wine challenged and amused me - who knew I liked English red, I certainly didn't till last night. Even here, though the concept stifles it a little. Serving a quarter - yes a quarter - of a bottle of cider as part of an alcohol flight costing nearly 30 is taking the mick a bit. But that's nit picking. Front of house great, drinks great.

However, ultimately, you go for the food. When you try and show off like this you need a brigade that can plate precisely AND quickly and you need a palate that doesn't constantly err towards bland or tart.
      I must admit I'm slightly disappointed to read this. One can't excuse food that's been sitting around getting cold. Whilst I note there were other issues would the two cold courses being warm have made a big difference to your overall feeling? Reason I ask is that's a simple thing to rectify....the others are not.

I've noticed beer is now starting to appear in drinks pairings a fair bit now and given some of the ridiculously experimental, strong and complex beers now out there I think it's a good thing. Last place I went to just charged us the price for the bottle we split.