Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2017

0 Not allowed!
    Not that I eat out a lot of anything but on Saturday I took the little lady for Afternoon Tea at Terre a Terre.

For 25 quid you get a savoury plate, then a three tiered tea. Some of these bits were excellent including a great muffin with goats cheese and balsamic reduction. Also enjoyed the orange polenta cake and the scone was great, though NOT warm which was an issue.

Overall it left me a bit flat. The sweets were too rich and I think it's a bit of an after thought for them. Terre a tere could do better with this but it's clearly popular as there were a lot of people in that at 3 in the afternoon, clever way of filling the gaff during quiter periods.

Meh 5/10

I have noticed the Salt Room are doing similar, and their offering looks a lot more interesting. They, I imagine, will do brilliantly out of that in the summer.
    NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPERS View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not that I eat out a lot of anything but on Saturday I took the little lady for Afternoon Tea at Terre a Terre.

For 25 quid you get a savoury plate, then a three tiered tea. Some of these bits were excellent including a great muffin with goats cheese and balsamic reduction. Also enjoyed the orange polenta cake and the scone was great, though NOT warm which was an issue.

Overall it left me a bit flat. The sweets were too rich and I think it's a bit of an after thought for them. Terre a tere could do better with this but it's clearly popular as there were a lot of people in that at 3 in the afternoon, clever way of filling the gaff during quiter periods.

Meh 5/10

I have noticed the Salt Room are doing similar, and their offering looks a lot more interesting. They, I imagine, will do brilliantly out of that in the summer.
      I don't think I've eaten afternoon tea, and it still doesn't appeal, but you've gotta be impressed at their business sense in filling the gaff in quiter periods

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      I don't think I've eaten afternoon tea, and it still doesn't appeal, but you've gotta be impressed at their business sense in filling the gaff in quiter periods
      It has to be said, the clientele was 95% female, same with the staff as it goes.

Terre a terre is overrated IMO.
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPERS View Post
      It has to be said, the clientele was 95% female, same with the staff as it goes.

Terre a terre is overrated IMO.
      Been there once, no desire to go back again. Way too fiddly. I want more clarity and definition when eating, and you just get this mismatch of multiple items on a plate.

0 Not allowed!
      Stockdales, Leeds.

Don't know if this is related in any way to our Stockdale - it might be, given he's a Leeds fan. If so, I unreservedly take back what I'm about to type.

3 people went along for an after game dinner. It's essentially a steak joint. Supposedly upmarket - steaks are "dry-aged", "28 day hung", 3 different sizes (10, 12 & 16oz), and, inevitably for such a place, Josper grilled.

Pluses: the tables are a decent size, and well spaced. The cutlery was clean.

Downsides: the food, the service, the price.

Still, 3/6 isn't so bad, is it?

My starter was scallops, which were a decent size, but too old (smelled of fish) & poorly cooked. My main was a rib-eye - no caramelisation, no way had it been cooked at "480 degrees"; over cooked (ordered medium rare, got medium well) - sent it back, got another almost identical... chips were meh.

Cocktails were universally far too sweet. Wine was good enough, but then again, once purchased by whoever does their wine buying, that's considerably harder to cock up than the food and the service.

starters and mains for 3, 3 cocktails and 1 bottle of wine. 192, excl tip.

Poor, tbh. 2/10.

Unless Stocko's family own it, in which case it's....still poor, tbh.
      6EQUJ5 2A
      misericordia in fortitudi whitelion's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      @Goldstone1976 I had never heard of Josper grilled.

This board is a goldmine of information.
      Last edited by whitelion; 20-03-2017 at 18:04.
      Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
      Gator Goose Collison? Is that some American cousin of mine I don't know about?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      Been there once, no desire to go back again. Way too fiddly. I want more clarity and definition when eating, and you just get this mismatch of multiple items on a plate.
      Their churros used to be one of the best things in Brighton to eat; large beasts of dough with that amazing double layered pot of dark chocolate and caramel. When I went recently the sauce was shit and the churros were well stingy.

But the rosti was just as great as ever.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!
      Anyone know anything about this PASCERE place opening in the lanes soon? Looks pretty schmancy.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by MattBackHome View Post
      Anyone know anything about this PASCERE place opening in the lanes soon? Looks pretty schmancy.
      Opens in June (at least that's the target!). Recruiting now. Will continue with Tom's focus on nose to tail eating, and cooking over open flames. There will be a tasting menu (50-65 probably) as well as a la carte.
      6EQUJ5 2A

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
      @Goldstone1976 I had never heard of Josper grilled.

This board is a goldmine of information.
      The Coal Shed and the Salt Rooms both have Josper grills.