Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ganges last night. Why is that place so infuriatingly inconsistent?! Last night it was back to its everything tasting a bit bland and the same, yet I've had some really great meals in there.

It's not just me who has experienced this then.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I have just had what was, hands down, the best cafe breakfast I've ever had. The purveyors of this fine meal were Wolfie's Kitchen.

As is probably obvious to most, Wolfies chippy have opened a cafe two door up and it's GREAT. Every part of the classic English breakfast was perfect, down to the mushrooms and even the butter. For 6.50 you get sausage, two bacon, roasted tomato, beans, egg, mushrooms and toast, I added black pudding obviously. It's plenty of food by anyone's standards but given the quality I didn't leave feeling disgusting. The bigger brekkie is 8.50 and you get potato hash, an extra banger, extra egg and black pudding with that for those who won't to be rendered immobile.

They also do hashes, soups, sandwiches, eggs and royale and all that. Highly, highly recommend of you're in the Hove station area but worth the trip even if you aren't. The are open every day from early.

9.5/10

Wolfie's Kitchen is my new favourite. Definitely the best veggie breakfast I've ever had, including decent sausages from the Brighton Sausage Company instead of the usual Quorn or vegetable mush most cafe's do. Plus I can take my dog, which is an added bonus!

I went to Jamie's Italian last night and was expecting something pretty average but I was pleasantly surpised. Everything tasted fresh and the pizza was as good as anything I've had at elsewhere in town (including Fatto a Mano or Franco Manca). If you download the app it entitles you to plenty of great deals too - we got free olives, pizza for £5 (instead of £12) and free rhubarb & custard ice cream.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just had what was, hands down, the best cafe breakfast I've ever had. The purveyors of this fine meal were Wolfie's Kitchen.

As is probably obvious to most, Wolfies chippy have opened a cafe two door up and it's GREAT. Every part of the classic English breakfast was perfect, down to the mushrooms and even the butter. For 6.50 you get sausage, two bacon, roasted tomato, beans, egg, mushrooms and toast, I added black pudding obviously. It's plenty of food by anyone's standards but given the quality I didn't leave feeling disgusting. The bigger brekkie is 8.50 and you get potato hash, an extra banger, extra egg and black pudding with that for those who won't to be rendered immobile.

They also do hashes, soups, sandwiches, eggs and royale and all that. Highly, highly recommend of you're in the Hove station area but worth the trip even if you aren't. The are open every day from early.

9.5/10

Seems like the void left by Harry's Pile Up might be filled?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
brighton_girl87;7858035.[B said:
Plus I can take my dog, which is an added bonus!
[/B]
I.

Count me out as I am a firm believer that dogs have no place in anywhere serving food and should be banned. If a person cannot go for a meal without taking their dog it is a sorry state of affairs. We have a small dog but wouldnt even consider taking him into even a pub that serves food yet alone a cafe or restaurant.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Seems like the void left by Harry's Pile Up might be filled?

Certainly worth a go to find out. The decor and even the music were spot on. A great all round experience.

Hove Station has some good little spots these days. The Watchmakers Arms is probably my favourite watering hole.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Count me out as I am a firm believer that dogs have no place in anywhere serving food and should be banned. If a person cannot go for a meal without taking their dog it is a sorry state of affairs. We have a small dog but wouldnt even consider taking him into even a pub that serves food yet alone a cafe or restaurant.

Fair enough. We often go out with the dog for long walks and go somewhere for food on the way home. If the dog sits under the table, I can't really see the problem.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wolfie's Kitchen is my new favourite. Definitely the best veggie breakfast I've ever had, including decent sausages from the Brighton Sausage Company instead of the usual Quorn or vegetable mush most cafe's do. Plus I can take my dog, which is an added bonus!

I went to Jamie's Italian last night and was expecting something pretty average but I was pleasantly surpised. Everything tasted fresh and the pizza was as good as anything I've had at elsewhere in town (including Fatto a Mano or Franco Manca). If you download the app it entitles you to plenty of great deals too - we got free olives, pizza for £5 (instead of £12) and free rhubarb & custard ice cream.

My view is that VIP do the best pizza in town.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I appreciate I'm a tad late with this, but I've had a pork vindaloo from them before, but it wasn't a pork knuckle. Along with their oxtail madras, the pork vindaloo is the best dish I've had there. Their grill is usually good too.

Yes I had the knuckle today, was outrageously good. The crackling was top notch and loads of it. Did not need the starter as well tho (had the prawn vindaloo, very good also) as the knuckle was massive.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mothers Day so Mum-in-law plus family to TGI Fridays.

One of the better themed ones in my view, perfectly acceptable won't wow you but well cooked every time I have been.

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
Café Chilli ( Church Rd , Hove )

Went here Saturday night , got a table ( hadn't booked ) then the flood gates opened and the place filled up.

Service was a tad slow with staff seeming unsure which tables they were supposed to be covering.
Good choice on the menu .
Tables are on the small size if you order a number of dishes .
I ordered a main and side dish of noodles which came up on a full size plate , so I had two plates to eat off of !!
Although I like spicy food I found the rustic way of chucking lumps of raw chilli on the dishes a bit over whelming , other places I have been tend to finely cut the chilli !!
Two starters ,two main meals , one rice , one noodles , crackers , one cocktail and one beer + 10% service charge = £ 71

7/10

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Cafe Malbec | Argentine Wine Bar & Deli

Cafe Malbec

A new addition to Hove, which opened at the start of the year and is just finding its feet. It's positioned itself as a wine bar, cafe AND deli (covering all bases) and is the sister to Latino America (which I'm a big fan of).

The empanadas (Argentine Cornish pastries) are a pretty dreamy, especially the Roquefort blue cheese one. And, if you eat in and order them warmed they have a whizzy oven that heats them up really quickly but without making them dry/soggy. Based just on the empanadas it's worth a visit.

The Gran Picada Argentina (cheese and meat board) - £25, was good too - especially with some of the South American wines - but I wouldn't say they are anything stand out with the meat & cheeses and I would certainely go to La Cave a Fromage over here.

cafe_malbec-74.jpg

They do a couple of Argentine twists with the board though that I liked e.g. a Malbec wine reduction and tostada de migo (a mini cheese & ham toastie).

Good little date night for a weekend....

8/10

Full review here: http://foodieeshe.com/cafe-malbec-hove-review/ | Foodie Eshé

Jul 7, 2003
Mothers Day so Mum-in-law plus family to TGI Fridays.

One of the better themed ones in my view, perfectly acceptable won't wow you but well cooked every time I have been.

I was also there with my family on Sunday. Everyone enjoyed themselves with plenty to choose for all the family. Had the burger with the scorpion sauce which had some decent heat. Mrs DCH had the Jack Daniels Sunday lunch which she said was very nice.

Jul 7, 2003
Thinking of taking the Mrs to Ephesus .... any views on it, good or bad?

Have been to both Ephesus and the sister restaurant Efes in Worthing. Both good value for money and decent food - something a bit different from the norm if you steer clear of the shish.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Thomas Cubitt, Elizabeth St, SW1.

Pre-gig dinner at a gastropub. They have a downstairs "bar" (really a no-reservation restaurant) and a posher first floor restaurant. We were downstairs. Both had their signature starter, crispy chilli salt squid, which I'm tempted to report to the trade description people as it hit 1/4 of the description. Well, I think it was squid. As I write this, I realise I cannot remember what either of us had as a main course, despite it being less than a week ago...I'm not sure I need write any more, the last clause sums up the place to a tee - utterly forgettable.

Two starters, two mains, two G&Ts, 1 bottle of over-priced riesling. £125, including a 12.5% service charge.

Not dreadful; not good enough to go back.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Thomas Cubitt, Elizabeth St, SW1.

Pre-gig dinner at a gastropub. They have a downstairs "bar" (really a no-reservation restaurant) and a posher first floor restaurant. We were downstairs. Both had their signature starter, crispy chilli salt squid, which I'm tempted to report to the trade description people as it hit 1/4 of the description. Well, I think it was squid. As I write this, I realise I cannot remember what either of us had as a main course, despite it being less than a week ago...I'm not sure I need write any more, the last clause sums up the place to a tee - utterly forgettable.

Two starters, two mains, two G&Ts, 1 bottle of over-priced riesling. £125, including a 12.5% service charge.

Not dreadful; not good enough to go back.

Did the gig improve things?
PS some might say that it serves you right for eating out in that part of London

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Did the gig improve things?
PS some might say that it serves you right for eating out in that part of London

It did, thanks. The RPO and the City of London choir at Cadogan Hall (hence location of eating establishment). Choir on top form with a Haydn mass. Pianist for the Mozart concerto too flamboyant and left hand dominant for my taste though. Stunning solo soprano - really must look her up on Spotify; mezzo a bit meh; tenor and baritone competent.

We used Dojo to seek out somewhere to eat, having previously found that anywhere with a rating of 8.5 or greater being ok. This place had 8.5. Hmm. I hope we're not going to have to reevaluate our minimum acceptable rating - it'll reduce our options still further. Hopefully, we'll be able to explain away our disappointment by reference to the fact that residents of that area are ignorant Rangers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here