Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Restaurant 2016 thread here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?346711-Restaurant-2017

So a couple of bits from new year period.

The excellent Crescent Road in Worthing looks like it will be changing hands end of January. The owners had previously moved back from Australia to U.K. to open the restaurant but are now planning to move back. They're planning on opening for 2 weekends in January as a send off but they think the sale will complete by end of Jan so keep an eye on Facebook for those that enjoyed it.

Also went to La Campania in Arundel which is an Italian restaurant and the sister of Nonnas Kitchen in Worthing. I'm not a huge fan of Italian but after a hangover thanks to cancelled game Friday I fancied a bowl of pasta. Was pretty decent authentic Italian, less is more. Well cooked pasta, tasty sauce. The garlic, cream, mushroom starter was excellent and perfect portion size.

Would recommend, a solid 7.5/10.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So New Year new thread........

Hoping to start this Saturday with a visit to Chambers in Shoreham, will post a review once visited.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Copied from 2016 thread

So a couple of bits from new year period.

The excellent Crescent Road in Worthing looks like it will be changing hands end of January. The owners had previously moved back from Australia to U.K. to open the restaurant but are now planning to move back. They're planning on opening for 2 weekends in January as a send off but they think the sale will complete by end of Jan so keep an eye on Facebook for those that enjoyed it.

Also went to La Campania in Arundel which is an Italian restaurant and the sister of Nonnas Kitchen in Worthing. I'm not a huge fan of Italian but after a hangover thanks to cancelled game Friday I fancied a bowl of pasta. Was pretty decent authentic Italian, less is more. Well cooked pasta, tasty sauce. The garlic, cream, mushroom starter was excellent and perfect portion size.

Would recommend, a solid 7.5/10.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Went to MOD down the Marina for lunch. Best pizza I've ever had and I've had a lot of pizzas. Thoroughly recommend.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
For those on here who have enjoyed the Crescent Road restaurant in Worthing, the bad news is that Zac and Nicole are in the process of selling up and are emigrating to Australia.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For those on here who have enjoyed the Crescent Road restaurant in Worthing, the bad news is that Zac and Nicole are in the process of selling up and are emigrating to Australia.

A friend who is more of a regular there than I am had heard similar. He was dining there last night and was going to let me know.

Sad to hear - Worthing's current best, IMO.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Might be a bit out there given it's location but La Muraille de Chine is probably one of the best Chinese restaurants I been to. If you ever happen to be in Chateaubriant, France then I'd highly recommend a visit. 9/10

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Chambers - Shoreham-by-Sea

After the weird experience of WSL an evening meal, starters Portuguese mussels in white wine sauce and garlic bread which were all small however very tasty and mains of pork belly, succulent and with green mash and leeks. Mrs had the scallops and Guinea fowl which was declared excellent.

A tad expensive in my view but worth a visit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Finally made it down to Silo for a spot of breakfast on Satuday.

Had coddled egg, blood pudding and kimchi and a cappucino. Was very impressed by this and left feeling like I'd eaten some proper food, as opposed to most breakfasts in town that leaving you feeling nasty. The coffee was proper and put a right spring in my step. Worth a go.

The missus had a hot chocolate which also happened to be extremely tasty, and actually tasted of chocolate.

8/10 will go for their dinner next time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Counter Culture - Cla'am Common,

An offshoot from The Dairy, a 15-seat counter based restaurant with two staff - a very OTT & funny front of house Irish woman named Coco ("I don't have an off switch; only a 'go faster' one") and a 20-something Canadian chef named JoJo. He has a kitchen area about the same size as a downstairs loo, containing a fridge; two induction rings, one of which is permanently taken by a stockpot; a water bath set at 95; and a very small oven. He does also have a large downstairs prep area - but he never went to it during service. Astonishing.

It's a kind of tapas-based eating experience, but with modern British food. "Here's the menu, have one of everything - it's perfect for two" guffawed Coco above the hiphop playing in the foreground.

We had:

Sour potato flatbread, nduja paste and cultured cream
A plate of two different salamis
Roast cauliflower with coronation topping and flaked almonds
Ox heart pastrami and fennel kimchi
Pumpkin pasta, cavalo nero and chestnut sauce
Sous vide cod, squid ink emulsion and furikake
venison bao
Bergamot mousse, liquorice jelly, almond

A couple of bottles of nice things that I took - it's BYOB-friendly, though they do have a list of about 4 whites and 4 reds.

The dishes are between £4 and £8.50 each.

Really excellent food, with each one having at least one technique that must have taken days to prepare. Buzzy (not a place for a romantic tete a tete), fun and high-end cooking. Will never get a star, but should do.

Oh - he prepares everything: bread - homemade; nduja paste - homemade, taking 10 days starting from belly pork; bao buns - homemade; kimchi - homemade... ridiculous.

Definitely worth a visit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Had another very good roast at the Gun Inn in Findon today. It's a lovely pub and the food has always been of a high quality since the current owners have been there (5+years?) husband wife team, with the chef having worked in some top London restaurants.

Firstly it's not cheap, £14-£17 depending on the meat, but portions are very good and high quality locally sourced ingredients and meat.

I had the Pork Belly, crackling was perfectly done and served with 3 big roast potatoes. Healthy sized plates of veg split between the table.

Others had roast beef which was nice and rare, and the home made yorkshires looked incredible.

Kids portions all £5.50 with ice cream for dessert which is exceptional value.

We even had their private dining room as a party of 10 which is nice because it's out of the way so with kids can make a bit of noise. Good selection of beers and ales to. Free house but usually has a couple of Ringwood beers, some interesting lagers, Kozel and Marstons Stout.

8/10

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Anybody been to Skyfall in Hove ?

If so post a review please

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Makara on Church Road.

Utterly phenomenal value. Delicious eastern med grub. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Jul 7, 2003
Visited Ephesus on Preston Street last week. Having been to the sister restaurant in Worthing, the menu is the same (although a few dishes were crossed off). Went as part of a group of ten and everyone enjoyed the food as something a bit different and also fair value for money. Service was quick and efficient.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here