Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Jul 7, 2003
Tried the Fuego Lounge in Lewes last night. The menu looked interesting and there was a nice atmosphere in the place. Sadly it went downhill from there.

It was fairly busy in there but the service was very slow. Poor start as they couldn't serve me a freshly squeezed orange juice as they had run out of oranges. My mate and I both went for the SuperHero burger – pulled pork, small beef burger, buttermilk chicken fillet, bacon, etc.

Everything was very dry – it was either overcooked or maybe had spent a lot of time under a heat lamp. The pulled pork was a dry clump of meat with no real flavour, the burger was dry and under seasoned, the chicken had some flavour but was so dry the texture was closer to biltong - the only thing they didn't ruin was the bacon which was thick and smoked. It was served with Cajun onion rings that hadn't seen so much as a Schwarz's spice jar.

Not sure if others in the chain are as bad or if the Lewes one is still bedding in but one to avoid for now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Tried the Fuego Lounge in Lewes last night. The menu looked interesting and there was a nice atmosphere in the place. Sadly it went downhill from there.

It was fairly busy in there but the service was very slow. Poor start as they couldn't serve me a freshly squeezed orange juice as they had run out of oranges. My mate and I both went for the SuperHero burger – pulled pork, small beef burger, buttermilk chicken fillet, bacon, etc.

Everything was very dry – it was either overcooked or maybe had spent a lot of time under a heat lamp. The pulled pork was a dry clump of meat with no real flavour, the burger was dry and under seasoned, the chicken had some flavour but was so dry the texture was closer to biltong - the only thing they didn't ruin was the bacon which was thick and smoked. It was served with Cajun onion rings that hadn't seen so much as a Schwarz's spice jar.

Not sure if others in the chain are as bad or if the Lewes one is still bedding in but one to avoid for now.

Try the Pelham Arms next time you are in Lewes and go for the Barbeque Platter - it's sensational

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just had lunch at St Johns; lovely as always. The great man himself, Fergus Henderson, was also having lunch. For the record I had roasted bone marrow, pigs head salad, roasted ox heart and bread pudding with butterscotch sauce.

That sound revolting pigs head and ox heart as I dont like heart and pigs heads were only used to make brawn

Sounds fantastic to me. I so need to get myself to St Johns.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Murmur for lunch today with the kids and wife. Three quarters success. Kids both loved their kids menus (all plates licked clean with the exception of the raw celery served with their crudites and bread starter, who the heck thinks kids will eat raw celery :lolol: ) and my food was fantastic. A special of mussels, perfectly cooked and served in a sauce I needed to finish with a spoon to start, Venison haunch for main with a venison ragu parcel and red cabbage, Richer than Uncle Tony it was a perfect winter dish and just the right size. A special of chocolate tart to finish.

Wife, on the other hand wasn't so impressed. The texture of the lobster croquettes she started with wasn't quite right and her cod main was over seasoned.

As with 64 degrees the wine and beer selection is excellent - couldn't fault drinks at all. Murmur is very family friendly and the service was cheerful, informative, good mannered and well paced. In fact I think the service at both Michael's restaurants is excellent but I would really emphasise don't go for lunch if you don't like kids in a restaurant. It is to kids what Perch is to dogs.

If you do like taking a young family out however it is currently outstanding value. The kids menu is free if adults are eating (I assume subject to a minimum) which made two kids menus, two three-course adult meals, two oysters, a bottle of Muscadet, a beer and an espresso come to £120.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We used to be served head cheese at school, (brawn set in aspic). God it was awful stuff. The very thought of it now makes me want to retch.

Rename it, quadruple the price and you can sell it to me.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lunch at the North Laine yesterday. Usual offerings of roasts plus burger, fish and chips or a veggie option which I have forgotten.

I had the fish and chips. The food was really nice, surprisingly so in fact, but they served it to me on a piece of ****ing WOOD. If I wasn't in a big group with loads of kids about I'd have said something, though I am going to contact them myself today and enquire as to why they think it's a good idea. Luckily I had asked them not to serve minted peas (they are the devil) as that could have been very tricky.

NorthLaine.jpg (the baby milk is our own, they haven't quite gone that mental as to serve it in a bottle)

You've clearly got plates, as everyone else got one, so why the **** would you use old wood!

What would have been a 8/10 rating is down to 4/10

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I had a meeting with a couple of people in the Creative Hub place right by Hove Station on Friday lunchtime and after we wanted a bite to eat.

We headed over the tracks to The Station pub where they have a pizza oven.

The two chaps with me went for pizzas, whilst I went for a goats cheese and chilli vegetable calzone. I do love a calzone, me.

There's often a bit of theatre about a calzone being brought to the table, and this didn't disappoint, looking like a Cornish pasty on steroids. A lot of steroids. It was very tasty too. I'm not often in that part of the world needing something to eat, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back and have the same again. There was a reasonable choice of beer too, although I can't remember what I had now.

My only complaint would be it wasn't warm in there. It was a cold day and with doors opening and closing repeatedly, it didn't have the warm snug feeling you want from a pub in Winter.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Took advantage of the best deal in town yesterday, namely the Moshimo 50% off deal on Mondays and Tuesdays for members (£18 annual membership)

We had the following:

2 x Miso Soup
2 x Chicken Kang Jung
2 x Mackerel Sashimi
1 x Tuna Hand Roll
1 x Cod cheek tempura
1 x Salmon sashimi (left off bill as the waitress forgot about this order which then arrived about a minute after we reminded her, was surprised they had left it off tbh)
1 x Tuna sashimi salad

All for the princely sum of £27. The quality is ridiculous for the price, we normally have loads more but the baby was kicking off.

Highly recommended.

8/10

They do 50% off all month (outside of weekends) in January (and sometimes February). You really should get involved.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tried somewhere new and a little out there - Thewitchez Photo Design Cafe Bar on Marine Parade. Don't let the name put you off. They market it as Polish but in reality it's European - even has black German sausages which I'm sure will make HT feel at home !

Anyway, best place I've been in a long time. A little quirky but small and very welcoming. Had the warm pears with goats cheese, walnuts, dates and balsamic dressing - one of the best starters I've ever had. Mrs W had 'Little Hooves' for main - basically potato dumplings and with this one with pesto and cream and rocket - absolutely amazing. I had the lamb steak. Well I say steak, it was more like half a sheep but cooked to perfection. Mrs W had sweet 'Little Hooves' for dessert - lots of cinnamon, fruit and dipping yogurt. Not my cup of tea but Mrs W loved it.

Really great value as well - one starter, two mains, a dessert, bottle of wine, two beers and two nutella vodkas ( yes, really !!! ) just shy of £70. All the food coming out was huge portions. The service was superb as well. 9.5/10 ( they lose half a point for serving on boards ). Try it - you'll not be disappointed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Taken out by a supplier to the Railway Inn, Portslade last week. Having eaten at the sister pub, The George Payne, I was looking forward to the food. Have to say I was a little disappointed. Had Nachos to start. Clearly homemade but had soaked up so much oil it was impossible to finish the very large portion. Pork chop with mustard mash for main. Pork chop was great - large and very well cooked. The mash was less great. Mash with 'something' should have a hint of the 'something' - this was more like wholegrain mustard with a hint of mash. Overall it was very average. Won't be going back in a hurry. 5/10.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tried somewhere new and a little out there - Thewitchez Photo Design Cafe Bar on Marine Parade. Don't let the name put you off. They market it as Polish but in reality it's European - even has black German sausages which I'm sure will make HT feel at home !

Anyway, best place I've been in a long time. A little quirky but small and very welcoming. Had the warm pears with goats cheese, walnuts, dates and balsamic dressing - one of the best starters I've ever had. Mrs W had 'Little Hooves' for main - basically potato dumplings and with this one with pesto and cream and rocket - absolutely amazing. I had the lamb steak. Well I say steak, it was more like half a sheep but cooked to perfection. Mrs W had sweet 'Little Hooves' for dessert - lots of cinnamon, fruit and dipping yogurt. Not my cup of tea but Mrs W loved it.

Really great value as well - one starter, two mains, a dessert, bottle of wine, two beers and two nutella vodkas ( yes, really !!! ) just shy of £70. All the food coming out was huge portions. The service was superb as well. 9.5/10 ( they lose half a point for serving on boards ). Try it - you'll not be disappointed.

Noted :smile:

Nutella and vodka, now that’s a sum greater than the parts.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not sure it's been mentioned but Pascere is well worth a visit if you want something special although it will be too poncy for many. Been four times since it opened with various friends and all agreed its on a different level to most restaurants in Brighton. Chef is from the Pass at South Lodge as I think the one at Etch is. Tasting menus recommended. Pricey but great experience and no rushing. Liked the atmosphere friendly and professional and without the pomposity and smugness some fine restaurants ooze. All our friends that have been have recommended it to others.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Sing Li still not doing well then.. glad to see some help being raised [emoji106]
ae601cdc2b6b8f503f3123af340b9d42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got the festive week off to a good start tonight. I organize these seasonal dinners for a bunch of friends and tonight was our Xmas goose extravaganza (pun intended). Two whole geese, knödel, grunkohl, rotkohl and brat soße with plenty of Pilsner and some shots thrown in for good measure.

All good.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT bother with the food at the Lord Nelson. Proper pisstake stuff. Needs did must unfortunately.

The macaroni cheese was a particular lowlight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here