Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Likely date for re-arranged Cardiff Game

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Personally, if the season were to be extended a bit to compensate for this sort of thing would it really be a problem ?

The Football League are now more rigid in that all fixtures must be completed on the final weekend. The days from the 70s and earlier where clubs could play games after the 'official' final day are long gone. If it means playing Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday in the final week of the season, that's what we would have to do.

A long cup run with the odd replay thrown in, and we could be playing 10 games in April

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Strike dates are too fluid to plan for.

If the strike gets called off at the last minute for talks, and the albion miss an opportunity to play the match, does Paul Barber just bash his head on his desk and shout "d'oh" ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Football League are now more rigid in that all fixtures must be completed on the final weekend. The days from the 70s and earlier where clubs could play games after the 'official' final day are long gone. If it means playing Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday in the final week of the season, that's what we would have to do.

A long cup run with the odd replay thrown in, and we could be playing 10 games in April

We'd just play a completely different team in the cup games and it wouldn't matter?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'd just play a completely different team in the cup games and it wouldn't matter?
The problem is that league games get moved for the cup, so you could end up with 4 league games in 8 days even if you are playing a different team on the weekends the games were originally scheduled for.

D

Deleted User X18H

Cardiff on Jan 30th for me.

Second string in the FA Cup on the Saturday. Cardiff already out.

Albion play Uddrrsfield three days later.

Makes sense ??

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Cardiff on Jan 30th for me.

Second string in the FA Cup on the Saturday. Cardiff already out.

Albion play Uddrrsfield three days later.

Makes sense ??
Cardiff may not like playing just 2 days after their league match with Reading and just 1 day before they play Preston.

They won't play

Saturday v Reading
Monday v Albion
Tuesday v Preston

will they ? ???

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Cardiff may not like playing just 2 days after their league match with Reading and just 1 day before they play Preston.

They won't play

Saturday
Monday
Tuesday

will they ? ???
Was about to post the same. Even by HB&B standards, his post is brainless fukwittery of the highest order.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This must be the key point. Yes we'd like it to be nice for our fans, particularly the ones that travel far, but the most important thing has to be making it right for the players. Fixtures could get congested, let's do this already.

Maybe we can get Ernest to offer a deal to his union comrades. ASLEF agree no strike dates the day before and the day of a Brighton game, in return NSC give Southern Management the Jamieing of their lives?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Despite what I said earlier I do take on board the preference to avoid rail strikes.

I wonder if Thursday 26th works if we are playing a 2nd XI v Lincoln / Ipswich 2 days later. Cardiff would probably not agree though, with playing Reading on the Saturday.

Or Monday 23rd ?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'll be home, yes! Afternoon on the sauce in town, bit of nosebag somewhere then hop on the uni bus up to Falmer & see us smash Cardiff.
We won't mention the journey home after.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here