Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another 'under the radar' report on the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are wrong. This had been analysed at length on nsc. Worth hunting to find the threads. We're playing by the rules. But thankful to Tony Bloom for subsidising the club.

We have stuck to the rules, but the problem with this sort of article (which isn't accurate) makes us look like we haven't. I'd rather stay under the radar than have false accusations trying to take away the glory by accusing us of cheating.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Interesting piece but my bugbear this season are reporters referring to last year's 'play-off failure' as if that tells the story. The ones who know their stuff about the Championship refer to how close we were to automatic promotion. It's an important distinction as the context makes sense of what's happening this season. It's not as if this team appeared from nowhere. It makes me laugh when I hear pundits talking about Weds and how they ripped up the division last season - a notion entirely based on them reaching the P/O Final, and ignoring that they were way, way off the top 3 pace.

Every journalist in the world thinks the 'scoop' or report they deliver is absolute.
I guess their sources always have the inside knowledge, which is not ALWAYS correct.
It makes good reading if all things are positive about a said club, but you cannot have it always.
Build them up and knock them down!!
Anyway UTA & feck the rest of them.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

S

smileyweb

i would take it with a pinch of salt if i were you

Everyone at the club (BHAFC & AITC) was on a 10% bonus, last season, if we were promoted. That included cleaners, shop staff, match day stewards, etc. Full and part-time staff were all included.

We're not, this season, sadly - but that doesn't mean the club wouldn't do anything for staff at a later date...but let's not tempt fate!

Whether or not it's a coincidence that Greer and Calde are no longer here, I don't know.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This doesn't surprise me! How many times have Brighton come out in the second half looking like a different team this season, including a few notable times where Hughton has clearly earned his salt during the half time break.

Yep. Whenever we're looking a bit below par in the first half, these days I have complete faith in CH sorting them out for the second. :bowdown:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Everyone at the club (BHAFC & AITC) was on a 10% bonus, last season, if we were promoted. That included cleaners, shop staff, match day stewards, etc. Full and part-time staff were all included.

We're not, this season, sadly - but that doesn't mean the club wouldn't do anything for staff at a later date...but let's not tempt fate!

Whether or not it's a coincidence that Greer and Calde are no longer here, I don't know.

yeah i knew that - it was Calde and greer's involvement that i was suggesting was taken not too seriously given some of the other inaccuracies

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its a rolling aggregate limit these days and we're currently within it. It seems pretty clear if we don't go up this year then there will need to be some serious adjustments to the playing staff and/or budget to continue to play fair. From the outside it looks like Bloom is putting all he eggs into this season's basket.

If it is a 13m loss for FFP, the sale of Stephens and Dunk would have seen us wipe that out, but the rest of them would have happily been challenging for promotion. I'm not too worried that we'd see a 'drastically' changed team

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Last season, players Gordon Greer and Inigo Calderon felt that if the players are on promotion-based incentives and bonuses, the backroom staff and club personnel should be, too. Bloom agreed.

Didn't know that. Not surprised by it in the slightest. :bowdown:

Agreed wonderful work by the players a #together

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have stuck to the rules, but the problem with this sort of article (which isn't accurate) makes us look like we haven't. I'd rather stay under the radar than have false accusations trying to take away the glory by accusing us of cheating.

I may have a fading memory but I seem to recall reading in the press that we finished behind Chesterfield ( if not for their points deduction), Reading and Southampton when we have won the league so the press getting it wrong is nothing new :smile:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You are wrong. This had been analysed at length on nsc. Worth hunting to find the threads. We're playing by the rules. But thankful to Tony Bloom for subsidising the club.

Yeah sorry I wasn't saying we were I overspending, just highlighting it feels like we've had a change in attitude in light of what other clubs have done. But I appreciate that might just be me who feels that way. I do think though if we are putting all our eggs in one basket, doing it this year was the right time. Off the back of a strong promotion challenge last year, with the club oozing stability and confidence then if were going to gamble, this season was the time to do it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you to OP...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the FFP stuff is interesting. I've read other clubs say we're overspending etc, but to be honest I'm not sure where we stand anymore. A few years back when Leicester and Bournemouth overspent, we were adamant that we would stick by the rules. But now it appears that clubs that haven't stuck to the rules have "got away with it", I wonder whether we're throwing caution to the wind . It feels like we've had a change in attitude towards FFP. I might be wrong. It just seems we were quite vocal about FFP at first and appear to have gone the other way.
No, I'm quite sure we haven't broken FFP rules, unlike several other clubs. If you think we have, what spending are you questioning?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jesus, that Daily Mail website is practically unreadable without an ad-blocker. Cheers to the OP for cutting and pasting, I couldn't be arsed to wait for all that shit to load.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
No, I'm quite sure we haven't broken FFP rules, unlike several other clubs. If you think we have, what spending are you questioning?

I'm not saying we have, only that we seem to have had a shift in our approach to ffp.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yeah sorry I wasn't saying we were I overspending, just highlighting it feels like we've had a change in attitude in light of what other clubs have done. But I appreciate that might just be me who feels that way. I do think though if we are putting all our eggs in one basket, doing it this year was the right time. Off the back of a strong promotion challenge last year, with the club oozing stability and confidence then if were going to gamble, this season was the time to do it.
I've just read a comment from a QPR fan who claims that sky said, when we played them, that Bloom had spunked £250 million on the team. I don't think sky will have said that. It's the given perception when the investment is thrown about though.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not saying we have, only that we seem to have had a shift in our approach to ffp.

How has the approach changed? We've been sailing as close to the wind as possible for a few years.

This is often interpreted as dangerous, but it's the club's prerogative, with a committed owner at the helm, to be as competitive as possible and that means spending every possible penny up until the accepted losses limit.

We're just very well run, and for as long as TB remains committed the absolute least of our worries is anything financial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here