Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has any team ever had 51 points at this stage and failed to gain automatic?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Actually, I can't see us not making it now. Not complacency, buy I do think the overall balance and depth of the squad is better now. And, defensively, we are so strong now. Just 14 conceded, 15 for Derby and 18 for Newcastle.

And we still have Liam R. and Beram K. to come back from long-term injuries in the New Year, to add to this strength and depth.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes. Wigan 1999-2000, Division 2.

28/12/99: Played 23 W14 D9 L0 F45 A19 GD+26 Points 51 Position: 1st

Final table: Played 46 W22 D17 L7 F72 A38 GD+34 Points 83 Position: 4th

Gillingham, who had 42 points after 23 games finished above them in 3rd on 85 points and went up via the play-offs.

Yes, pretty rotten for Wigan Athletic as they were leading with little time remaining. It wasn't brought about by a change of manager either.

Wrong division though?

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
The last 8 teams top at the half way stage of a championship season have all been promoted automatically
Was on the front end of the sky coverage last night

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
In 2010/11 in division 1 we had 46 points after 23 games and were first in the table. We went in to win the league with 95 points.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
An alternative view - I briefly caught a Sky Sports stat before the Newcastle game.

In the last ten years, if you are top after after Christmas games (half way/23 games), you went up automatically.

(bar Watford in 2007, fin 6th, lost in SF)

:goal:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Is the difference between success & failure as basic as keeping your best players on the pitch or is there more to it than tgat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the only thing that will stop us. No injuries, no bookings yesterday. And as someone else said, we will shortly have the full squad available. Just an alternate to Baldock needed now, as cover. UTA!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes. Wigan 1999-2000, Division 2.

28/12/99: Played 23 W14 D9 L0 F45 A19 GD+26 Points 51 Position: 1st

Final table: Played 46 W22 D17 L7 F72 A38 GD+34 Points 83 Position: 4th

Gillingham, who had 42 points after 23 games finished above them in 3rd on 85 points and went up via the play-offs.
So it is possible for it all to go tits up for us in the second half of the season...

Anyone know the story of what was it that substantially changed for Wigan that year...? Surely can't have been just natural variance in results and essentially their "luck"..??

I suppose one feasible option is that their mentality changed in some way? Became less hungry or too expansive?

More likely a few important injuries and suspensions derailed them at some point and they couldn't get their earlier season form back in time. Confident that won't happen to our squad under Hughton.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So it is possible for it all to go tits up for us in the second half of the season...

Anyone know the story of what was it that substantially changed for Wigan that year...? Surely can't have been just natural variance in results and essentially their "luck"..??

I suppose one feasible option is that their mentality changed in some way? Became less hungry or too expansive?

More likely a few important injuries and suspensions derailed them at some point and they couldn't get their earlier season form back in time. Confident that won't happen to our squad under Hughton.

Can't seem to find much, from wikipedia

On 1 June 1999, John Benson was appointed as Wigan's manager. As Wigan settled into their new home at the JJB Stadium, Benson's side went 26 league games undefeated, before losing at home to Oldham Athletic on 7 January 2000, Benson picking up 2 Manager of the Month awards in the process. Towards the end of the season Wigan lost their form and found themselves in the play-off final at Wembley against Gillingham. A few days prior to the game, Benson had announced he was stepping down but remained to lead his team out at Wembley and ultimately a 3–2 defeat after being 2–1 up with only 7 minutes of extra time remaining

So new stadium and new manager gave them a bounce at the start of the season, but the manager knew he was off towards the end?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Still not the championship.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wasn't our final points total last season enough to guarantee promotion in every one of the previous 18 seasons?

Ultimately stats don't really mean a lot. It's quality and also a little bit of rub of the green that really counts.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think we have the strength in depth this time with virtually every position has a replacement.

I look forward to seeing our FA Cup lineout and see those squad players really push for a place, something they haven't always done when given the chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here