Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin market attack suspect shot dead in Milan

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
You have to wonder, with all the cameras these days, how the most wanted man in Europe can get from Berlin to Milan without being seen.

This. He got from Italy to Germany with no passport (having been refused asylum), committed this atrocity, then managed to get back to Italy again despite being Europe's most wanted man. Mind boggling.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe I just happen to have an over-active BS Detector, but I tend to suspect with extreme prejudice any case where they, say, just happen to find an atrocity suspect's ID under the driver's seat. Just like they apparently happened to find an incriminating document directly linking George Galloway to Saddam Hussein in smouldering ruins of one of Saddam's palaces. Yeah, right :rolleyes:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This case just highlights how important it is that the EU reappraise everything about border controls.

This man was expelled from Italy for being dangerous and undesirable; in theory an expulsion from one EU country on those grounds should be an expulsion from all EU countries, yet he was able to go to Germany and massacre innocent people.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling the EU is incapable of reforming and adapting to the current reality (no change there then). Free movement with no/minimal internal borders will stay, as will the porous external borders and terrorists/extremists will continue to exploit them.

Barking mad.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The route taken by the suspect

C0W_YLeVIAA5N71.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This. He got from Italy to Germany with no passport (having been refused asylum), committed this atrocity, then managed to get back to Italy again despite being Europe's most wanted man. Mind boggling.

Which passport does he have though? He didn't have a Tunisian one. Where's he actually from?

theboybilly

You sir, are a man after my own heart. It is indeed 'hanged'.

There is a pub called the 'Hung, Drawn and Quartered' near Tower Hill. It's embarrasing to think that in all of the places they couldn't get that right (notwithstanding most executions of that type in London were likely to have been undertaken at Tyburn rather than The Tower)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You sir, are a man after my own heart. It is indeed 'hanged'.

Many would agree, but oddly enough, Fowler's (the prime source of information on use of English) defines the two words as interchangeable. Even if 'hanged' is technically correct, in the context of the phrase, I'd go with 'hung, drawn and quartered' simply on the grounds of common usage; you just don't hear people say hanged, drawn and quartered.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There is a pub called the 'Hung, Drawn and Quartered' near Tower Hill. It's embarrasing to think that in all of the places they couldn't get that right (notwithstanding most executions of that type in London were likely to have been undertaken at Tyburn rather than The Tower)

Funnily enough, I took my two lads past that pub on Wednesday night and had exactly the same conversation.

Many would agree, but oddly enough, Fowler's (the prime source of information on use of English) defines the two words as interchangeable. Even if 'hanged' is technically correct, in the context of the phrase, I'd go with 'hung, drawn and quartered' simply on the grounds of common usage; you just don't hear people say hanged, drawn and quartered.

You would hear 'hanged, drawn and quartered' if you knew me!

Fowler's may well be the prime source but I'd always defer to my old English teacher at Durrington High, Mrs Maddock who told us that meat and pictures are hung, people are hanged. Her words were canon.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Been in that pub. Tyburn was close to Newgate i believe that is maybe why ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You would hear 'hanged, drawn and quartered' if you knew me!

Fowler's may well be the prime source but I'd always defer to my old English teacher at Durrington High, Mrs Maddock who told us that meat and pictures are hung, people are hanged. Her words were canon.
Looking up a definition for 'hanged' I found this.

"Hanged is the past tense and past participle of hang only when used in the sense of “put to death by hanging”. It’s important to remember that 'hanged' has a very specific use. We only use hanged when we are referring to the killing of a human being by suspending the person by the neck."

If you want to be totally accurate, when drawing and quartering are involved, the victim is still alive after being hung for a while (but not long enough to kill). Therefore Fowler's assertion that the use of hung is not erroneous in this context has a fair degree of validity!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Looking up a definition for 'hanged' I found this.

"Hanged is the past tense and past participle of hang only when used in the sense of “put to death by hanging”. It’s important to remember that 'hanged' has a very specific use. We only use hanged when we are referring to the killing of a human being by suspending the person by the neck."

If you want to be totally accurate, when drawing and quartering are involved, the victim is still alive after being hung for a while (but not long enough to kill). Therefore Fowler's assertion that the use of hung is not erroneous in this context has a fair degree of validity!

So I was right all along :rolleyes:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here