Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin market attack suspect shot dead in Milan

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The Israeli way: kill a potential suicide bomber and then put bacon on his body to deter others, as this prevents entry to the house of underage virgins.
I'm sure I read somewhere this seriously reduces the number of volunteers. If so, then maybe the UK police ought to add a bacon holder to their utility belt?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The Israeli way: kill a potential suicide bomber and then put bacon on his body to deter others, as this prevents entry to the house of underage virgins.
I'm sure I read somewhere this seriously reduces the number of volunteers. If so, then maybe the UK police ought to add a bacon holder to their utility belt?
Is that true?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking up a definition for 'hanged' I found this.

"Hanged is the past tense and past participle of hang only when used in the sense of “put to death by hanging”. It’s important to remember that 'hanged' has a very specific use. We only use hanged when we are referring to the killing of a human being by suspending the person by the neck."

If you want to be totally accurate, when drawing and quartering are involved, the victim is still alive after being hung for a while (but not long enough to kill). Therefore Fowler's assertion that the use of hung is not erroneous in this context has a fair degree of validity!

Looking at the Oxford dictionary

"2"( past and past participle hanged ) "[with object] Kill (someone) by tying a rope attached from above around their neck and removing the support from beneath them (often used as a form of capital punishment):"

It would seem hanged can only be used when someone has actually been killed. So hung, drawn and quartered is more than valid...it's correct?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If legendary grumble flick performer John Holmes had been taken to his place of public execution by horse and then disembowelled to entertain the masses, would he have been well hung, drawn and quartered?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If legendary grumble flick performer John Holmes had been taken to his place of public execution by horse and then disembowelled to entertain the masses, would he have been well hung, drawn and quartered?

Despite his early death and too much hairy muff, I'm surprised he hit the goal as often as he did, those were the days, I'd love to come back as said Mr Holmes. What this has to do with a terrorist being shot, I have no idea. I'm going delirious, see the Nocturnal thread.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Seven people were arrested on Friday in the southeast state of Victoria, Australia for reportedly planning to use explosive devices near Melbourne landmarks on Christmas Day, according to the Guardian. Five remain in custody.

"We believe we have neutralized that threat," Victoria Police chief Graham Ashton said in a press conference. "We believe there was an intention to conduct what we call a multi-mode attack, possibly on Christmas Day, with possible locations that we've been working on."

St. Paul's Cathedral, a Melbourne church constructed in 1852, was on the group's list of targets, Ashton said.

“The attack that we will allege was being planned, we believe was going to involve an explosive event, the use of explosives, and we gathered evidence to support that,” he added.

more
www.wlwt.com/article/australian-pol...mas-day-terrorist-attack-on-melbourne/8529903

Suspected Isis terror cell 'planned to bomb Christmas crowds at UK shopping centres'

Security sources say arrests in the Midlands were related to a 'significant plot' targeting crowded shopping centres in the run-up to Christmas
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...hoppers-berlin-europe-terrorism-a7491446.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here