Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The January Transfer Window

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Might be best financially in the short term but Villa are currently 13th in the league, ten points off a play off spot and it'll be hard for them to work their way into one. If we finish where most hope / expect us to this season than chances are we'll be able to be the better choice in the long term.

You're making the mistake of thinking (and hoping) like a fan. What is better, a 3 year contract on on £40k a year with promotion bonus/wage increase, or a 3 year contract on £20k a year (with a promotion bonus/wage increase?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
12 days left....nothing yet of note..

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
12 days left....nothing yet of note..

Here's a thought. It may be that Bloom/Barber run such a tight ship that there's a signing lined up (Keane?) but we are waiting til the end of the window because we don't actually NEED the player RIGHT NOW. We'll obviously need one for cover purposes so it makes sense to wait until the end of the month to save a month on what might be a player on high wages.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Here's a thought. It may be that Bloom/Barber run such a tight ship that there's a signing lined up (Keane?) but we are waiting til the end of the window because we don't actually NEED the player RIGHT NOW. We'll obviously need one for cover purposes so it makes sense to wait until the end of the month to save a month on what might be a player on high wages.

I have seen people on here suggest this before. Do you honestly believe this thought even passes through the mind of people like Bloom/Barber?

A player has been identified, negotiations have been conducted and concluded with the player's club (and/or the player himself), the contract is ready to go and ........ oh, let's wait for three weeks and do the deal on January 31st. :wozza:

Even if the thought of saving (at most) a few thousand quid was a genuine concern, don't you think the recent examples of Stephen Ward and Alex Pritchard would encourage a signature to be obtained at the earliest possible opportunity? Don't you think the benefits of getting a player in as soon as possible (meeting Hughton and the group of players, starting training, getting familiar with the training facility) would massively outweigh any (relatively) tiny financial advantage?

I think you should despatch that "thought" from whence it came at the earliest opportunity.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I have seen people on here suggest this before. Do you honestly believe this thought even passes through the mind of people like Bloom/Barber?

A player has been identified, negotiations have been conducted and concluded with the player's club (and/or the player himself), the contract is ready to go and ........ oh, let's wait for three weeks and do the deal on January 31st. :wozza:

Even if the thought of saving (at most) a few thousand quid was a genuine concern, don't you think the recent examples of Stephen Ward and Alex Pritchard would encourage a signature to be obtained at the earliest possible opportunity? Don't you think the benefits of getting a player in as soon as possible (meeting Hughton and the group of players, starting training, getting familiar with the training facility) would massively outweigh any (relatively) tiny financial advantage?

I think you should despatch that "thought" from whence it came at the earliest opportunity.

Ok sunshine dial it down a bit. It was just a passing thought.

Jeez. :rolleyes:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Ok sunshine dial it down a bit. It was just a passing thought.

Jeez. :rolleyes:

Don't make stupid passing thoughts then if you don't want people to comment.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Club resetting expectations I see... or clever smoke screen?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The message from Hughton/The Club has been consistent all along. Happy with what we have but if something comes along then great. Nothing has changed.

Would they honestly be happy with what they had if one of Murray / Hemed / Baldock got injured for any period?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I get that we don't need goalkeepers, fullbacks, centre backs, central midfielders or wingers.

Surely the club can see that only having 3 players at the club for the central striking position is both a novel and a courageous approach. ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Club continue to play it down, whilst indicating anything we do is likely to be late in the window (but we have options if nothing is done). Doesn't seem like the messaging has changed at all really - we'd like a striker, we may or may not get one. Wouldn't be overly sensible for the club or CH to come out and say 'we desperately need a striker at any cost' either given the market is already mental, it'd just put the price up even more.

Patience, people, have patience. My money is on Keane coming in to do a Zamora-type job. Not 100% what we need but at least another option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here