Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shelvey banned for five games

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Subtle difference between being proved guilty and being decided guilty? Hmmm.............

There is a subtle difference between criminal courts and FA disciplinary hearings.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not racism though is it? Makes the "Kick it Out" campaign a bit of a joke if the FA hands out such a ridiculously lenient punishment. Wonder how his team-mates feel having to play with a racist.

6 matches for a gesture to the crowd and verbals to the ref. 5 matches for making racist comments to fellow player. You couldn't make it up.

Kaz has not got a 6 match Ban from anyone. He got 2 for a red card, and 4 for 2 offences related to abusing match officials. If he pops up on Twitter and says something else, he might get another ban meaning he misses 9 matches, but it won't be a 9 match ban he has been given.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Interesting i just had a browse on there ticketing website and there is no ticket info for the game down here but there is for games after ours. they are defiantly expecting the game here to be moved i think
Isn't that because the next round of cup games takes place on that weekend, so at least one of us (us or them) will be involved. Makes sense to hold back on selling tickets for a game which is bound to move. Not least, when they have to move games, I bet they get a number of returns when people can't do the revised date for whatever reason...

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
It's semantics at this point. They listen to the evidence and decide "yeah he's guilty". They believe it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I think you will find as in civil law its balance of probability not beyond reasonable doubt which is criminal law.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not that I want to defend Shelvey here but have I got this right? A player suggests something inappropriate has been said to him, Shelvey denies saying it. He gets a 5 game ban? Is this how it works now that someone can claim you did something and you are guilty till proven innocent?

It wasn't Saiss who reported it, but one of his team mates, so there was a witness.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he appeals and it gets proven again, will the ban increase?

He plays for Newcastle, chances are it will get reduced, the FA won't want to threaten the charge back to the Premier League. They can get two red cards in one game overturned, this one should be relatively easy? :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He plays for Newcastle, chances are it will get reduced, the FA won't want to threaten the charge back to the Premier League. They can get two red cards in one game overturned, this one should be relatively easy? :wink:

Funnily enough, I've just been reading the BBC report and found this paragraph.

FA guidelines, which were revised in 2013, state any player found guilty of racially abusing an opponent or discriminating on religion, sexuality or disability, should be banned for at least five games.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The team are focused on chasing Newcastle rather than worrying about the chasing Peloton. I'm happy with this too as it gives us a focus. We'll be leap frogging back and fourth with them but there is no way they will fall lower than 2nd so the Shelvey/ANC stuff matters very little as it's only the final furlong where results will be critical.

To Newcastle fans:

Beware the ides of March

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
My ha'penny worth - the fine, no matter what you think of it (too small, irrelevant, whatever) puts FIFA to shame. What do they fine whole clubs for racist incidents? 50p I think was the last one....

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The hardest part would be having to attend the" F A Education Course" .
If he is racist then it would be hard to have to listen to attempts to change him . If he isn't then even harder to be in with others that are, and think 'why am I here?'

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

It can't be reduced as 5 match suspension is minimum for this offence. They might overturn but would be a much bigger call than the sending off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here