Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Skalak, Knockaert, and now the addition of Norwood are the three best corner takers we've had at the club in decades. Given the aerial threat of Dunk, Duffy and Murray we are not scoring nearly as many from corners as we should be, IMO.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if the team is currently above average, or at least 'better than x years' when it comes to the goals from deadball stat.

Primarily because goals from corners is such a misnomer, if us supporters knew the truth we'd never get excited about them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Although I wouldn't be surprised if the team is currently above average, or at least 'better than x years' when it comes to the goals from deadball stat.

Primarily because goals from corners is such a misnomer, if us supporters knew the truth we'd never get excited about them.

Had a look at this once before - varies from league to league but typical averages were about a goal every ten games, or 50-70 corners I seem to remember...........ie hardly ever.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
You 'want him to prove you wrong'? yet you'd 'rather have Ankergren on the wing............................

I respect your opinion but I think we are a better team with him not playing. We had much better shape going forward when Solly came on on Saturday.

I'd just rather have Murphy or Solly in front of Skalak at this moment.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I think both Skalak has definitely had a dip in form recently... March looks like a much better option at the moment. But Skalak still has something to offer and brings a certain level of quality to the team. I'd like to see him play on right wing from time to time, to let him try and get to the line and put a decent cross in. Maybe start him on the bench and bring him on for Knocky, if he's not having a great game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's been a bit off colour recently, but for all he's given us in key goals and assists, what we paid for him, particularly in today's market, is cheap cheap cheap.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I respect your opinion but I think we are a better team with him not playing. We had much better shape going forward when Solly came on on Saturday.

I'd just rather have Murphy or Solly in front of Skalak at this moment.

I agree he was less effective than hoped against Birmingham. But then he assisted 3 times against Norwich fairly recently, and was excellent in the 2nd half against Fulham (although poor in the first). He's not nailed down a starting spot, but he IS capable on his day which isn't particularly infrequent.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He was poor against Brum, he didn't go past his man once, only ever knocked the ball back to Bong, put a lot of unnecessary pressure on Bong. We needed someone to turn their defenders, Skalak didn't and Solly did. Not only that Solly's delivery once he got in key areas was spot on.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Everybody has the right to be a critic,but constantly harping on about one player borders on the vindictive.If Chris thought he was 'toilet' he wouldn't play him-end of.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We are second in the table with a game in hand playing some fantastic football it's a team game we are all part of that team and good teams stick together so no negative comments and let's get behind the team

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Everybody has the right to be a critic,but constantly harping on about one player borders on the vindictive.If Chris thought he was 'toilet' he wouldn't play him-end of.

This ^ in spades

Ashley Barnes being one such player from recent memory who suffered some pretty harsh criticism and proved his doubters wrong.

kjgood

I'm happy to trust our manager, why wouldnt I? he's done a brilliant job. If he thinks Jiri is the man for him and brings something to the squad that he needs then thats good enough for me.

Not wanting to put a downer on our sensational season and this may be just be but did we overpay for Skalak?

Other than decent setpiece and crossing ability I can't really see what else he has in his locker. Easily knocked off the ball, no pace.

As I say it may just be me and I'm not picking holes as genuinely delighted with the way the season is going.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You've not been a Brighton fan for long, have you?

Albion fans have always needed someone to moan about, while sat in silence.

Inexplicably both Skalak and Bong are teetering on the edge of boodom.
Friday night and ***shock horror*** back to back defeats could be the final straw for the silent majority.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Friday night and ***shock horror*** back to back defeats could be the final straw for the Overly vocal minority .

Corrected for you

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Friday night and ***shock horror*** back to back defeats could be the final straw for the silent majority.

You want to sit with me, the old boy behind finds fault in almost every player on the pitch whilst may I add listening to the commentary and relaying it back almost as if he is using a load speaker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here