Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny Russell

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Derby season ticket holder friend says

- He thinks it would be unlikely Mclaren would be happy to let him go.
- Not the most technically gifted but a hard worker, with plenty of pace. Sounds like competition for Baldock.

He reckons 1.5m would be good business for Derby.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
After being linked with Tex and now Russell...I would rather take Russell as I think he would dig in more than Tex and his work rate is far more superior! Would be a good back up for Baldock!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"they want him"

reluctantnicko.jpg

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Agreed. Would Derby be prepared to sell a player to one of their biggest rivals though? I have my doubts.

Chances of it happening are slim, but the better option for both parties would be to work out a player swap until the end of season. Johnny Russell could feel the back up striker role for us and in return we can solve their winger problem by getting LuaLua.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What this tells me is that Murphy has a reoccurring groin injury and we cannot rely on him. If Murphy was fit I am sure he would be picked ahead of Skalak. Hughton has to be careful with March, and we need cover for him and Knockeart if an injury occurs. This position signing would make perfect sense to cover our ar5es, and if he has a better footballing brain than Skalak he will be above him in selection.

IF Russell were to sign for the club, I'm certain it would be as a number 10, not as another winger. As others have said we have enough of them already.

Why do you think Murphy as a recurring groin injury? The one and only reason Chris Hughton plays Skalak instead of Murphy in some games, is because he adds something different. Skalak is one of the best we have when it comes to delivering a corner, or putting balls in to the box from set pieces etc. He is no better or no worse than Murphy, just different.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Chances of it happening are slim, but the better option for both parties would be to work out a player swap until the end of season. Johnny Russell could feel the back up striker role for us and in return we can solve their winger problem by getting LuaLua.

LuaLua plus half a million cash perhaps. And even then, does McClaren even rate Kaz?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We were close to getting him in the Summer.

Okay. Now I believe there could be truth in it. He has started every game under Mclaren though. I can't see them letting him go.

Not for that price anyroad.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
IF Russell were to sign for the club, I'm certain it would be as a number 10, not as another winger. As others have said we have enough of them already.

Why do you think Murphy as a recurring groin injury? The one and only reason Chris Hughton plays Skalak instead of Murphy in some games, is because he adds something different. Skalak is one of the best we have when it comes to delivering a corner, or putting balls in to the box from set pieces etc. He is no better or no worse than Murphy, just different.

Because he was nursing a groin injury at the end of last season. We seem to choose being careful with him but even then it hasn't been careful enough.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He could be decent in a winning team, playing under a good manager me thinks

He already is. Mclaren has picked him for each of the last nine matches. They've won most of them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Contract has 18 months to run.
Any deal would be difficult but excellent competition for Baldock and a player with the potential to play at the next level.
If it happens it would be very late in the window. Personally can't see us pulling it off.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

CH expects Murphy to be fit for QPR but in any case, we have Solly March, who on yesterday's evidence, is more than ready to start for an hour or so. He could have very big part to play in the second half of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with...

you!
we are fast reaching the point where the balance of risk/advantage suggests we should invest in a top, top striker that could play in the PL.

The true risk would be that the wages we would have to pay would threaten our unbelievable unity and team spirit.
I don't agree with that bit though. Get promoted and other players can also get wage increases.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
CH expects Murphy to be fit for QPR but in any case, we have Solly March, who on yesterday's evidence, is more than ready to start for an hour or so. He could have very big part to play in the second half of the season.

Didnt he say the same about Blackburn and Birmingham?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The only number 1 target i would have with Derby would be Will Hughes. Unbelievably seems to have been around a long time but still only 21.

One of the only players in this league i'd sign in a heartbeat. Quality.

No chance Derby would let him go though.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Tbh, I don't know but the difference he has 10 days to get fit. And in any case, if Solly plays like he did yesterday against QPR, it doesn't really matter does it?

I think it does, I imagine he won't play Solly for the whole 90 mins....I would prefer the option off the bench to be Murphy rather than Skalak.... So yes it does matter....to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here