Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking ticket - SASTA !!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I just got a PCN for finding myself in a bus lane zone in an unfamiliar town. Even though as soon as I realised my mistake I turned around as soon as I was able to do so, I still got a ticket. Genuine mistake, but they have me bang to rights with all the camera evidence. I did fall victim to this years ago near St.Pancreas station as well.

I'll be paying up as I can't see any grounds for appeal. Basically I should have been paying more attention and I hold my hands up as it was my own silly fault.

I was thinking that it would be a nice touch if councils could perhaps give a courtesy first offence let off in these cases. They can see from the vehicle details that I'm not local and must know it was a genuine mistake. Good revenue raiser though I suspect and it would cost them to be lenient with first offenders. Oh well, I realise ignorance is no defence in law and so have to write it off as a 30quid lesson learnt :(

I would send a letter to the council saying you were lost in an unfamiliar town and apologies but it won't happen again. I think most councils DO let the first offence go, at least Brighton & Hove do.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lewes Road Bus Lane, Brighton.
If I ever catch the mindless morons who think the word bus lane is a foriegn language meaning 50 MPH lane I'll...........
No cameras so they seem to use the lane every day.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I would send a letter to the council saying you were lost in an unfamiliar town and apologies but it won't happen again. I think most councils DO let the first offence go, at least Brighton & Hove do.

Good call. I have got out of a couple of these with an honest letter apologising for my mistake and pointing out that at no time was I intending loss or harm to their fine city etc etc. I think sometimes they appreciate a well written plea for mercy!
Different with the parking mafia companies who are just rapists IMHO.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

By Jiminy Notters!, you're right! :)

I did end up appealing, on the grounds of being a bumbling old fool, holding my hands up and promising that it won't happen again.

They said that as I'd made an immediate effort to correct my mistake by turning around that on this occasion they would indeed let me off. Very nice of them as they didn't have to do that.

So thanks for the advice :thumbsup: Goes to show I suppose that if you don't ask you don't get.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Am I the only one that thinks, if you don't park in a designated bay, you should expect and deserve a ticket?

But for how much? If you did it and received a ticket demanding £10,000, would you think - ah yes that's fair enough - and pay up? £60 is extortionate.

I recently overstayed my pay and display in a council car park in Andover. I was 15 mins over, and suitably p'd off about it. However, the fine was £25 I think, which I thought was a fair enough punishment for the crime, so I paid up without argument. These private parking companies levy huge unreasonable charges - and must be challenged.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Parking aficionados. Indigo have written back saying my appeal was unsuccessful, saying I was parked in a non-specified bay, included pictures and pictures of the sign at Dorking station and telling me I have 14 days to pay the £60 fine.

What now?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Parking aficionados. Indigo have written back saying my appeal was unsuccessful, saying I was parked in a non-specified bay, included pictures and pictures of the sign at Dorking station and telling me I have 14 days to pay the £60 fine.

What now?

Not sure what the rules are once you acknowledge , but these jokers do give up after about 8-9 threatening letters. Had a few indigo parking tickets never given them a penny.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
What now?
They are always unsuccessful. Whats in it for them if they cancel it on appeal? If they deny the appeal, you might pay - that's their business model. Its your choice now. It sounds like it is clearly signed, so you can either pay up or choose to ignore it (and the 4 or 5 subsequent, increasingly threatening letters) and pay nothing, accepting there is a very, very small chance that they will take it to court. Well worth the gamble IMHO.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

What now?

POPLA time. Here is where you win.

Here's the forum, stick the words 'Indigo Byelaws POPLA' into 'search this board':

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Copy one written in the past 3 months & adapt it to suit. Don't forget you are appealing as registered keeper and tough, under railway byelaws they can't hold the keeper liable. Show your long POPLA appeal here, based on the examples you find when you search there for recent Indigo POPLA appeals. The longer the better; firms often fold when they see them.

It sounds like it is clearly signed, so you can either pay up or choose to ignore it

Ahem...it doesn't sound like it's clearly signed (what makes you think that, because the scum firm said so?!) and there is the small matter of now winning at POPLA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here