Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

USA. Base rate increase.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I don't think anyone here can really answer that for you. Google and do a bit of reading on expected rate changes over the next 10 years. If you choose the 5 year option, put £100 a month into savings to cover a rate rise in 5 years if it happens.

True & good advice. Sadly the £100 save it option isn't one that happens very well in my house..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can always save money, if you have it. That money will be worth less in the future if the rate of inflation is greater than the rate of interest.

Quite. And if the interest rate offered at Nat West is meaningfully bigger than the inflation rate. As it was in the lat 80s and early 90s. Great if you have paid for the house and have cash in the bank (er, like me) but shit for everyone else (like, er, me in, er the late 80s and early 90s). I would have to be a very selfish **** indeed to wish for a 'revisit' and a bit of schadenfreude.... :whistle::lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Quite. And if the interest rate offered at Nat West is meaningfully bigger than the inflation rate. As it was in the lat 80s and early 90s. Great if you have paid for the house and have cash in the bank (er, like me) but shit for everyone else (like, er, me in, er the late 80s and early 90s). I would have to be a very selfish **** indeed to wish for a 'revisit' and a bit of schadenfreude.... :whistle::lolol:

Having been able to retire in 1997, I am fortunate to be having trouble with non housing investment beating inflation for the last 2 years. May invest the lot in plutonium and uranium miners with a little on alternative health products for radiation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having been able to retire in 1997, I am fortunate to be having trouble with non housing investment beating inflation for the last 2 years. May invest the lot in plutonium and uranium miners with a little on alternative health products for radiation.

Nice 'ethical' investment strategy. Hats off! :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True & good advice. Sadly the £100 save it option isn't one that happens very well in my house..
Make a standing order to an account no one has immediate access to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here