Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zola. Birmingham City.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My thinking is that the players will try to impress the new boss and any failings of his wont be evident for a couple of weeks plus he will be keen to set off with a win.
My thinking is that a few players might want to impress him, but the players that were playing well and liked Rowett will feel shit and will find it difficult to give it their all. The players will talk and say to each other 'WTF?'.

I agree that any failings of Zola won't affect the team yet, but then Rowett's ability to prepare a team has been lost and Zola can't do anything in a few days.

Any result is possible, but I expect this improves our chance of winning.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Ridiculous decision. Other than having a bigger name because of his playing exploits, what exactly has Gianfranco Zola achieved in his managerial career that Gary Rowett hasn't that justifies making that change?

Or is this just a case of new owners with a new play thing thinking "Ooh, having Gianfranco Zola makes it so much easier for us to attract marquee signings from the Italian third division rather than if we have Gary Rowett who no-one has heard of outside of the Midlands".

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Disgraceful action by the owners and shameful of Zola, unsure about what this means for the standings in the championship but can imagine the brummies won't be a happy lot on Saturday.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So they have replaced a talented manager for someone who's name they recognise.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My thinking is that the players will try to impress the new boss and any failings of his wont be evident for a couple of weeks plus he will be keen to set off with a win.

FAILING players may try to impress a new boss, when their performances and results have just got the old boss binned off.

However, this was a group of players who were punching above their weight under a manager who they evidently liked and trusted, and who they were clearly playing for. My thinking is that they'll be (a) completely bewildered at Rowetts sacking, and (b) a bit nonplussed by Zola from the off. He may or may not win them round eventually and get his ideas across, but it'll certainly take more than the 2 days before we rock up at their gaff.

The owners have just royally upset the applecart. Now that doesn't mean we're going to cruise to 3 points by any means. But they're going to be well and truly winging it BIG time now, against a pretty formidable team.

I know where my money would be.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
My thinking is that a few players might want to impress him, but the players that were playing well and liked Rowett will feel shit and will find it difficult to give it their all. The players will talk and say to each other 'WTF?'.

I agree that any failings of Zola won't affect the team yet, but then Rowett's ability to prepare a team has been lost and Zola can't do anything in a few days.

Any result is possible, but I expect this improves our chance of winning.
The players should know by now how to set themselves up in the way Rowett would have done. This will be a tough game for us with their squad wanting to play for Rowett AND Zola.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The players should know by now how to set themselves up in the way Rowett would have done.
If that were the case, you wouldn't need a manager half the time. Rowett won't have spoken to them about how he'd like them to play against us, he hasn't even chosen the starting 11 - and the backroom staff can't do that either, so Zola has to do it - and does Zola come in and just say 'play like you think Rowett would have wanted you to'?

This will be a tough game for us with their squad wanting to play for Rowett AND Zola.
You're a glass half full of piss kind of guy then.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
What is this honour you talk about....

Disclaimer: Hughton you have honour (don't ever lose it)

For me it goes beyond honour. It's called being decent f*****g human being. Zola
has showed he is anything but that. I am surprised because he used to live up the
road from us in Chislehurst - and everyone liked him.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
For me it goes beyond honour. It's called being decent f*****g human being. Zola
has showed he is anything but that. I am surprised because he used to live up the
road from us in Chislehurst - and everyone liked him.

Never liked him, even in his playing days he has come across as smarmy.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yet again just reminds me how lucky we are to have Tony Bloom. Completely clueless actions by completely clueless owners.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If that were the case, you wouldn't need a manager half the time. Rowett won't have spoken to them about how he'd like them to play against us, he hasn't even chosen the starting 11 - and the backroom staff can't do that either, so Zola has to do it - and does Zola come in and just say 'play like you think Rowett would have wanted you to'?

You're a glass half full of piss kind of guy then.

You know that when a new manager comes in, especially this close to the next game, they normally don't get too involved until they've seen what they have to work with.

If thinking that Saturday's game will be difficult makes me a glass half full type of person then I bow to your obvious superior football knowledge.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What a bloody daft appointment.

He may surprise everyone and show a degree of managerial acumen that no one would expect, but this smacks of wanting a 'name' in charge.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Got to feel sorry for the Birmingham fans, their board have made a big mistake here. Rowett>Zola

Rowett won't be unemployed for long.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You know that when a new manager comes in, especially this close to the next game, they normally don't get too involved until they've seen what they have to work with.
Indeed, but that's because there's normally backroom staff who can deal with things. Who is going to pick the team?

If thinking that Saturday's game will be difficult makes me a glass half full type of person then I bow to your obvious superior football knowledge.
You didn't say it would be difficult. It's an away game against a good team, it should be difficult. What you said was that they'll be "wanting to play for Rowett AND Zola", which is pretty negative from a Brighton POV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here