Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic signings in January

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So if this is true, who will make way for him ? (possibly let Stephens join Burnley) and I presume Jan 1st is when he can actually join the squad ?

i actually hope this is bollox, I don't want him or the circus that will follow...

If we do go up, the press headlines will be "Frank helps little Brighton into the Premiership"

Not "Together Brighton finally get to the Premiership"

maybe we can do without both Stephens and frank (although I would love to keep both) we have Kayal and oliver and they may at a pinch just enough .........................best senario is keep them all :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But we have Hemed to do that who is more than capable, we need another Baldock but more clinical.

Nugent, Keane, Ulloa, Rhodes - these are not the players we need.

I agree about Ulloa but the rest can all play off the shoulder of a big man which Hemed doesnt do so he is the cover for Murray and all of the other 3 are cover for SB as the 2nd striker.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hope we get our striker target in early as NSC will be melting down when Villa, Derby, Leeds, Norwich, Reading, Fulham and Massive start splashing the cash.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just can't see us spending on a perm signing given where we already are financially and TB's funding, unless we sell someone..

A 6 month loan for a Prem striker ticks all the boxes for me.
Beyond financial, and I accepted there doesn't need to be another reason, I don't quite get the clamour for a Premier League loanee.

The chances of said player having any of the qualities needed on .01.01 are minimal to non-existent.

They're either going to be old or young.
They won't have played much, if at all, this season.
And they certainly won't be a goal scorer.

I'm sure the club could have got 'a body' in, in August, but couldn't do a deal.

Now 5 or 6 months down the line, the deal won't have changed but the player in question will be even less ready for first team football.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Beyond financial, and I accepted there doesn't need to be another reason, I don't quite get the clamour for a Premier League loanee.

The chances of said player having any of the qualities needed on .01.01 are minimal to non-existent.

I'm sure the club could have got 'a body' in, in August, but couldn't do a deal.

Now 5 or 6 months down the line, the deal won't have changed but the player in question will be even less ready for first team football.

By that logic, you'd rather a L1 player that has played this season over a PL player who hasn't. In general, I wouldn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What if Chelsea were to cancel Tammy Abraham's loan at Bristol City and send him here instead?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By that logic, you'd rather a L1 player that has played this season over a PL player who hasn't. In general, I wouldn't.
I wouldn't rule it out.
I guess I'm basing my point on our recent track record with Premier club loanees and BG running around screaming David Nugent.
Hidden away playing for Man Utd or Liverpool's youth team with a league cup run out appears not to be good preparation for twice a week championship football.

Plus the recent deals (and balance sheet) would suggest a 'do it once do it properly' approach, and we've got to think this one deal is the one that has to be right.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I wouldn't rule it out.
I guess I'm basing my point on our recent track record with Premier club loanees and BG running around screaming David Nugent.
Hidden away playing for Man Utd or Liverpool's youth team with a league cup run out appears not to be good preparation for twice a week championship football.

Plus the recent deals (and balance sheet) would suggest a 'do it once do it properly' approach, and we've got to think this one deal is the one that has to be right.

You've indicated my point quite clearly. Nugent knows about twice a week Championship football, the youngster doesn't. Both are in the PL. You'd imagine that both are of a higher standard than the regular starter in L1.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What if Chelsea were to cancel Tammy Abraham's loan at Bristol City and send him here instead?

Wonder how much of his wages they're paying?And if there's a recall clause?Can always dream.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've indicated my point quite clearly. Nugent knows about twice a week Championship football, the youngster doesn't. Both are in the PL. You'd imagine that both are of a higher standard than the regular starter in L1.

My problem is neither The Nooodge or a whippersnapper has kicked a proper competitive ball this season.

I should have qualified my 'I wouldn't rule it out' comment.
I wouldn't rule it in, either.

As has been my move recently, I would rather the club either went back to their contacts in Spain, (or one of Europe's other 'proper' footballing nations) or tapped up a mate of Jiri.
I certainly don't have the loanee as my default setting.

Given the choice between this 'mythical' Premier League loanee and a player with 15-20 games and a goal scoring record under his belt, this season, it's a no brainer. (as always though accepting the limitations of money).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here