Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic signings in January

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Crazy money for a 19 year old who clearly has potential however is not exactly tearing League One a new one. I know strikers (especially young ones) shouldn't be judged purely on goals but 5 league goals in 21 games two divisions below Everton isn't exactly out of this world.
Young enough to not count towards the PL 25 man squad limit.

So a gold dust signing and hence the large price ticket.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Crazy money for a 19 year old who clearly has potential however is not exactly tearing League One a new one. I know strikers (especially young ones) shouldn't be judged purely on goals but 5 league goals in 21 games two divisions below Everton isn't exactly out of this world.

He's also far from an out and out striker. Wish we'd singed him.
Makes you wonder the value of some of our players though- Solly for instance...

GenericJames

Apr 2, 2016
With Murray at 33 and Hemed at 29 (at the time of writing), why are so many people throwing around the names of so many old players?

I would personally love to get someone who will fire us to the Premier League, but also be a key member of the squad that keeps us there. Quite simply, a player like Robbie Keane, Jordon Rhodes or Leo Ulloa won't do that.

Sinclair and Hogan seem to be the best forward shouts at the moment, but I don't even know if we necessarily need a striker that desperately these days. All the idiots posting about 'barn door Baldock' seem to have been silenced a bit, and we shouldn't forget that 29 of our last 38 goals have been scored by Baldock, Murray and Knockaert - Goals aren't an issue right now.

Joao Teixeria would be an awesome signing for me. Provides a lot of different opportunities, is still young and full of talent and already knows the club!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Joao Teixeria would be an awesome signing for me. Provides a lot of different opportunities, is still young and full of talent and already knows the club!

And hasn't played competitive football in about 18 months...

SBarlow

Sep 7, 2015
Sam Winnall? Any chance Barnsley would let him go? Would he be happy coming of bench or being in rotation as Baldock is bang in form?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Are you saying Solly is as good as Lookman?

I think there's a risk with young creative players/wingers etc. The reality is that at some point decision making rather than flair becomes the key to success. Solly makes the right decisions now. He has an excellent footballing mind. Does Lookman have more potential? Probably. Will he realise it fully? Who knows.
If Saints offered £7million over a year ago, and with Lookman seemingly going for 10, you'd have to fancy Solly being worth at least that. (even though these figures seem astronomical)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Playing a handful of cup games is hardly inspiring. He'll be nowhere near the match day XI if we signed him.

Isn't that the idea though, cover? He is probably of similar match fitness to Solly and could get up to speed very quickly, in the position we need cover, we know he's quality, he's been here before and knows at least 7-8 of current squad. Probably wouldn't need to use him much on Baldock's form.

Title of this thread is realistic signings and I could do without a big time charlie coming in and disrupting what I think is our biggest asset, the team spirit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here