Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 2015/16 Slump (those of a nervous disposition look away now)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We'd just beaten Birmingham at home (2-1, remember all the one goal wins last year) and come from 2-0 down to beat Charlton 3-2 at home.

19 games - 41 points - +11 GD and undefeated all season. Then this happened:

Dec 12th - 1 point
2-2 draw away at Derby having led twice.

Dec 15th - 1 point
2-0 up v QPR when Charlie Austin makes his cameo for the season

Dec 19th - 0 points
Best away team we saw, 2-0 down at half time and lost 3-0 to Boro

Dec 26th - 1 point
No goals but a clean sheet away at Brentford. Slump over....

Dec 29th - 0 points
In panto-style, "Oh no it isn't". Another blank v Ipswich, losing 1-0 at home

Jan 1st - 0 points
An on it went. Losing 1-0 at home again against Wolves (we did score - it was a Goldson og!)

Jan 12th - 0 points
Rotherham, also with injuries, inflict BHA's first away defeat and our sixth blank - 2-0
Also, this was Knockaert's first game for us I think

Played 7
Won 0
Drawn 3
Lost 4
Points 3 from 21

Goals For 4 (in the first two of those games)
Goals Against 12

26 games - 44 points +4 GD and 11 points off the lead.
Position 6th

Then came Blackburn away, a Bobby Z goal and that incredible run.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
We do have more strength in depth. Last year we lost Bong and were weak at left back and teams exploited that. We had other injuries too and the squad was stretched.

Every team will have a 'wobble'. We just need to keep our nerve because we are good enough.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Updated:

Game 20 was the first of the seven game run where we gained just three points out of 21 and fell from 1st to 6th.

Game Number: 2015/16 points total (position/opp) - 2016/17 points total (position/opp)

When the seven match run began: 41pts (1st) - 38pts (2nd)

Game 20: 42pts (1st, Derby) - 42pts (2nd, Leeds)

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes we will have a rough patch at some stage. I feel though that we are a stronger defensive unit this year though - and Murray's goal tally at home gives us hope as well

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We do have more strength in depth. Last year we lost Bong and Rosenior at the same time and were weak at left back and teams exploited that. We had other injuries too and the squad was stretched.
Corrected for you. If Bong and Poco both break down and join Rosenior on the sick list, we'll be in trouble at LB again. We should make sure we get another one in in January..........

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
We've just got march back. Not long to wait for kayal and rosenior then back to full strength.
Bring in the striker in Jan and I don't see the problem?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
We'd just beaten Birmingham at home (2-1, remember all the one goal wins last year) and come from 2-0 down to beat Charlton 3-2 at home.

Dec 12th - 1 point

Dec 15th - 1 point

Dec 19th - 0 points

Dec 26th - 1 point

Dec 29th - 0 points

Jan 1st - 0 points
An on it went. Losing 1-0 at home again against Wolves (we did score - it was a Goldson og!)

Jan 12th - 0 points
Rotherham, also with injuries, inflict BHA's first away defeat and our sixth blank - 2-0

Played 7
Won 0
Drawn 3
Lost 4
Points 3 from 21

Goals Against 12

Position 6th

Reading this now makes it look even worse than it felt at the time! But it actually makes me even more optimistic about this season. It shows we can hit a bad patch, lose a few games and still recover. Given how bad last year's slump clearly was and how very close we were to going up, I think we have a lot to be excited about right now

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We had about 27 injuries. That was the sole cause of the slump. It wasnt like chris hughton suddenly didn't know what he was doing. :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We had 7 first team players injured, the last one being Solly March at the first December game at Derby.

Stop stressing about December games, slumps and Christmas.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We had about 27 injuries. That was the sole cause of the slump. It wasnt like chris hughton suddenly didn't know what he was doing. :shrug:

Didn't say he was at fault and not worried about a slump. Merely pointing out the facts. My expectation is that we'll keep on doing just fine (with the odd wrinkle). I thought it would be interesting to keep track of the equivalent seven games to see how we're doing this season compared to that terrible - injury affected - run. At the end, we should have a decent feeling for how this season will pan out.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Dec 12th - 1 point

Dec 15th - 1 point

Dec 19th - 0 points

Dec 26th - 1 point

Dec 29th - 0 points

Jan 1st - 0 points

Jan 12th - 0 points

Played 7
Won 0
Drawn 3
Lost 4
Points 3 from 21

Goals Against 12

Position 6th

There are major differences to last year though:

1) We hadn't won by more than one goal all season whereas our goal difference is very good this season

2) While we have the same points as last season now, we had only won 5 of the last 13 with a lot of draws. This followed a brilliant start, inspired by the injured LuaLua.

3) Our defence is so solid this season. Much more so than last season

4) We had a ridiculous injury crisis last season. Hopefully that won't happen again but, even if it did, I think we have more strength in depth

I am not saying it can't happen but I am not sure of the point of looking back to last year all the time. What happened at this stage last season has no impact on this year

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I am not saying it can't happen but I am not sure of the point of looking back to last year all the time. What happened at this stage last season has no impact on this year

Good points, well made. I'm looking back because it makes me realise how much better off we are despite having near identical points as last year. I don't expect a slump and as youpoint out - we're so much stronger than we were. I think the run to Jan 17 will show this.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Good points, well made. I'm looking back because it makes me realise how much better off we are despite having near identical points as last year. I don't expect a slump and as youpoint out - we're so much stronger than we were. I think the run to Jan 17 will show this.

Hopefully we'll have more points after Tuesday than we had in mid January last season

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
2015 table after 20 games

2015.jpg

2016 table after 20 games

2016.JPG

Don't know what this proves, if anything, just wanted to compare

Would love Leeds to beat Reading on Tuesday.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
2015 table after 20 games

View attachment 80130

2016 table after 20 games

View attachment 80131
Don't know what this proves, if anything, just wanted to compare

Would love Leeds to beat Reading on Tuesday.
How many points are we likely to need come the end of the season? I reckon same as last year (i.e. 89) to get automatic.

= 1.8 pts per game left = very strong play offs form. We have to pretty much maintain our "levels" and our results over the remainder of the season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It would be interesting to keep the week by week comparison running. As it currently stands we're in a similar position overall, not just points wise. Last season we were 7 points ahead of eventual Champions, Burnley, so nothing is set in stone. We're currently only 5 points clear of Reading in 3rd, and although many (including me) think they'll falter, you never know. We must do well in the next month and then see where we stand. Our current lack of injuries, and stronger squad should make a massive difference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here