Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactical masterstroke- Norwood for Sidwell

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I thought we looked as dangerous from set plays as we have all season. No coincidence that both pens came from desperate defending from corners.

Good delivery, pitiful goalkeeping and big strong CBs all played their part. Credit CH for targeting Green's weaknesses and ensuring all corners were inswingers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In the North, we certainly noticed that Green isn't the tallest of keepers - in the first 15 - 20 mins he was all over the place.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I view the Baldock situation in a similar way to our centre backs in the summer. I was very happy with the 3 we had and didn't feel we needed to splash cash to bring in anyone. However CH found someone available who has improved the defence so we've now kept 12 clean sheets.

Murray, Hemed, Baldock and Manu are a set of strikers who have got us to the top of the league, but if CH finds someone who he thinks will improve our fire power then I'll happily see them join

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
The challenge - an away team who've won 5 on the bounce, will be confident and have nearly 3,000 travelling fans.

The answer - get your team to play very high tempo from the off with a team (that's all 11 of them) set up with players who can play rangey passes into the channels (like experienced International Norwood) and have quick players to get behind their less mobile defence (including players like Baldock).

It was a team win including the bench solution. Anyone critical of individuals or very specific errors (giving the ball away early when they haven't played a high tempo league game for some time) I'd be as bold to say, is overlooking the 90 minute game plan and the team structure.

It's just too simplistic to say he doesn't score enough or he's no better than JFC or his chins the wrong shape... equally if we can improve by buying an upgrade on what we already have be it a new Baldock or even a better Knockaert or Dunk, we surely will.

The main challenge us there is less competition for Baldock's position right now because there is no one else in the squad willing and able to run those channels all day long and rile big brutes twice his size.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This is the weirdest thread !

Starts off praising the Manager and Norwood. Followed by others slating Norwood and Baldock . Then others backing them up. Then some detracting the praise given to the Manager then an internal debate about how Baldock or Norwood contribute enough OR NOT.

The team play as a TEAM of whatever 11 players are on the pitch - The Manager sets them up to attack teams when not winning and to protect a lead when they are winning. He sets them up with individual jobs to do both offensively and defensively. They are drilled to cover for each other when someone loses the ball. Knockeart, Murphy and Baldock are perfect examples of this because they are the most mobile players in the side. They are always tracking back to do their defensive jobs when we are not on the offence.

In short you have a group of players all working for each other and all more than 100% willing to watch out for each other. WHATS NOT TO LIKE ? Top of the league. Another long unbeaten run. Building up a gap of points in the top two from the chasing pack. Consistent defensively with lots of clean sheets and the best stats in so many areas from all 92 football clubs in England. I would say it's a good time to be a Brighton fan so enjoy what the lads are serving up to you

And as a footnote. The sending off helped make it look easy but we never got out od 2nd gear. Even with 11 men they rarely threatened. We won at a canter last night and could have stepped the pace up any time we wanted even if they had retained 11 men on the pitch - I for one am extremely happy with everyone's contribution to date this season.

Noo, we know this. At least, 20,000 or so do, but there'll always be some. Plus, essentially the point of a football message board is for these people to moan about their football team, and they've been struggling for a couple of years. Don't worry, when we're bottom-half of the premier league next year they'll have plenty to moan about

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
No, I'm not. You said he gave it away leading to dangerous positions, I disagree with that unless you can mention a specific time. Leeds rarely threatened through a combination of not wanting to risk being picked off and wanting to keep it tight for a late surge for a draw.

Baldock was MOM against Fulham, he contributed to that game. He was not the MOM tonight for scuffing shots, half heartedly chasing Green down and running into positions he can't get the ball. My expectation is higher than that, but this team can carry him. Doesn't mean he can't be replaced with significantly better quality. Bong has played well but you could see tonight we had a better player in reserve. We don't for Baldock, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be replaced if we can in january.
Baldock is raising his game because he probably thinks he is likely to get replaced in January, we definitely need an upgrade on him but fair play to him as he's raised his game in the last few weeks - not before time!

Sky commentator (ex pro Peter Beagrie saying how well he played and they picked him as MoM)

What do they know compared to some NSC, who love to hate certain players?

Sky are hardly infallible for their picks though are they, when they don't watch a certain team regularly it's not such a huge surprise.

Baldock can certainly play better than he did last night, the work rate and movement were all there, but the composure and that bit of devil in front of goal wasn't.

Dunk and Duffy were unlucky not to get MOTM

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think we need to re-phrase the 'Baldock replacement' line many are trotting out. Most agree there is one slot we need to fill in January - it's a 'Baldock competition'. We need another striker who is top quality - to compete with Baldock and also offer back-up in this position - and a different option. Whether they are the back up or whether Baldock becomes more back up, only the future knows. But there's no denying Baldock offers plenty in that role and creates space for other, runs tirelessly and is a much improved player. In my top 5 for player of the season so far - along with Muzza and the two CBs and one other... Maybe Knocky.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If people are saying we don't need to improve because we are TOTL then you are in cloud cuckoo land. We won the game but there were several areas that i would say we had issues -

Baldock because he needs to do more with the ball when he gets it i.e. take it past players and score. There were a couple of very good breaks that stopped with him as he could not control the ball. His running is great.

Norwood seems to give the ball away with sloppy passes in dangerous places. Needs to concentrate more because in a two man CM role he will often be exposed at the back. His forward passing was great and something we have not seen from our other CMs

Murphy would like to see him drive on and cut inside a bit more - he is really good when he does that

But what I would say is that the key part of Brighton's play is the team ethic and all three are strong on that from what I have seen It is this TEAM that will win promotion.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If fairness there is still one place to fill, and that position is the Baldock role.

The difference being, the team would be fooked without Sam, and Sam's attributes, therefore it needs Baldock II, ideally a better Baldock.

Being shite scared every time one of our most valuable players, tackles or is tackled, knowing there's absolutely no back up for him, isn't healthy and certainly is Premier League ready.

Whilst he is a bit injury prone, I don't think you have to worry too much about Baldock getting injured from tackling.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Love what CH is doing, keep it up. Would like to see a Dunk in midfield, if our middle was as strong as our defence we would be unstoppable. TOTL. :O

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is Baldock really the first in line to replace?
Murray is on loan, so surely we need to replace him with our own Premier-Standard striker for next season?

I watched on the TV - very confused after the game that Murray was giving MoM award to Baldock when just a few minutes earlier I heard the stadium PA announce Murray as MoM ...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Noo, we know this. At least, 20,000 or so do, but there'll always be some. Plus, essentially the point of a football message board is for these people to moan about their football team, and they've been struggling for a couple of years. Don't worry, when we're bottom-half of the premier league next year they'll have plenty to moan about

I know.............I am dreading that - That's why I think ''Enjoy the good bits while you have them'' I honestly don't see one player at the moment who is not playing their part. Even I have been critical of a couple times of goals conceded by Stockdale but even yesterday when he had nothing to do, he came out and commanded his area and caught well.

Even in the score predictor yesterday I went for a 3-0 win because I think we will beat most teams now every week and I think we will win the League and have done right from the 5th or 6th game in.
By the way to the ''Score predictor checker. The up and coming Blackburn match I made a mistake. I wanted a Brighton 2-0 win but I did a 2-0 win the other way round by mistake

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is Baldock really the first in line to replace?
Murray is on loan, so surely we need to replace him with our own Premier-Standard striker for next season?

I watched on the TV - very confused after the game that Murray was giving MoM award to Baldock when just a few minutes earlier I heard the stadium PA announce Murray as MoM ...

GM was the sponsors MOM, wrong IMHO as I would have gone for Baldock Sky MOM or Stephens who I thought had his best game for ages and was the Stephens we all know and love. I hope that we go after a permanent deal for GM in January.

I am not sure about Norwood as some of his passes were sublime but he also gave away possession a lot but I fully understand resting Sidwell so from that point it was a good move.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Baldock is raising his game because he probably thinks he is likely to get replaced in January, we definitely need an upgrade on him but fair play to him as he's raised his game in the last few weeks - not before time!

Sounds like you might be surprised by how highly thought of Sam is by the Manager

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Baldock has 6 goals and 6 assists to his name in league and cup, so is hardly just improving in the last few weeks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that we need an upgrade on Baldock more a similar type cover for him but I wonder if a fit Kayal could be pushed further forward if needed or even Richie Towell to step up.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If people are saying we don't need to improve because we are TOTL then you are in cloud cuckoo land. We won the game but there were several areas that i would say we had issues -

Baldock because he needs to do more with the ball when he gets it i.e. take it past players and score. There were a couple of very good breaks that stopped with him as he could not control the ball. His running is great.

Norwood seems to give the ball away with sloppy passes in dangerous places. Needs to concentrate more because in a two man CM role he will often be exposed at the back. His forward passing was great and something we have not seen from our other CMs

Murphy would like to see him drive on and cut inside a bit more - he is really good when he does that

But what I would say is that the key part of Brighton's play is the team ethic and all three are strong on that from what I have seen It is this TEAM that will win promotion.

I really like your post because it is extremely sensible and logical but the first line although accurate. You need to remember what our financial capabilities are. There is only a certain standard of player you will be able to attract when you are not in the Premiership. Even when we do get there who we can attract will be limited by financial and budget constraints. The plus points in attracting players will be the set up we have and the nice geographical location in that it is on the coast and has in addition good links to London

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I really like your post because it is extremely sensible and logical but the first line although accurate. You need to remember what our financial capabilities are. There is only a certain standard of player you will be able to attract when you are not in the Premiership. Even when we do get there who we can attract will be limited by financial and budget constraints. The plus points in attracting players will be the set up we have and the nice geographical location in that it is on the coast and has in addition good links to London

Agree it will be hard to get a player but if we had a version Baldock who was scoring more goals then we would be walking this league. I think CH likes Baldock for his hard work and sees that as a key part of defence i.e. stop ball/players coming forward then you stop goals.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I dont think that we need an upgrade on Baldock more a similar type cover for him but I wonder if a fit Kayal could be pushed further forward if needed or even Richie Towell to step up.

I think they are options. I would like to see Kayal playing further forward
a) because he has always linked up well with Hemed
b) in his first game when he came on a late sub he really impressed in that forward role - scored, hit the bar(?) had one saved and that was in about 5-10 minutes.

It all depends on who we are playing of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here