Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactical masterstroke- Norwood for Sidwell

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
This thread is exactly why your opinions on football are irrelevant. Absolutely zero idea. Oh, and I agree Baldock isn't quite good enough for this side as welll and should be replaced. He did a reasonable job tonight though and Norwood was very average but played a couple of delightful balls. That's all that seems to be noted.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
People STILL don't get Baldock?? Jesus.

Sky commentator (ex pro Peter Beagrie saying how well he played and they picked him as MoM)

What do they know compared to some NSC, who love to hate certain players?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I thought baldock was fantastic.Norwood just gives the ball away to much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is the weirdest thread !

Starts off praising the Manager and Norwood. Followed by others slating Norwood and Baldock . Then others backing them up. Then some detracting the praise given to the Manager then an internal debate about how Baldock or Norwood contribute enough OR NOT.

The team play as a TEAM of whatever 11 players are on the pitch - The Manager sets them up to attack teams when not winning and to protect a lead when they are winning. He sets them up with individual jobs to do both offensively and defensively. They are drilled to cover for each other when someone loses the ball. Knockeart, Murphy and Baldock are perfect examples of this because they are the most mobile players in the side. They are always tracking back to do their defensive jobs when we are not on the offence.

In short you have a group of players all working for each other and all more than 100% willing to watch out for each other. WHATS NOT TO LIKE ? Top of the league. Another long unbeaten run. Building up a gap of points in the top two from the chasing pack. Consistent defensively with lots of clean sheets and the best stats in so many areas from all 92 football clubs in England. I would say it's a good time to be a Brighton fan so enjoy what the lads are serving up to you

And as a footnote. The sending off helped make it look easy but we never got out od 2nd gear. Even with 11 men they rarely threatened. We won at a canter last night and could have stepped the pace up any time we wanted even if they had retained 11 men on the pitch - I for one am extremely happy with everyone's contribution to date this season.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If fairness there is still one place to fill, and that position is the Baldock role.

The difference being, the team would be fooked without Sam, and Sam's attributes, therefore it needs Baldock II, ideally a better Baldock.

Being shite scared every time one of our most valuable players, tackles or is tackled, knowing there's absolutely no back up for him, isn't healthy and certainly is Premier League ready.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Starts off praising the Manager and Norwood. Followed by others slating Norwood and Baldock . Then others backing them up. Then some detracting the praise given to the Manager then an internal debate about how Baldock or Norwood contribute enough OR NOT.

The team play as a TEAM of whatever 11 players are on the pitch - The Manager sets them up to attack teams when not winning and to protect a lead when they are winning. He sets them up with individual jobs to do both offensively and defensively. They are drilled to cover for each other when someone loses the ball. Knockeart, Murphy and Baldock are perfect examples of this because they are the most mobile players in the side. They are always tracking back to do their defensive jobs when we are not on the offence.

In short you have a group of players all working for each other and all more than 100% willing to watch out for each other. WHATS NOT TO LIKE ? Top of the league. Another long unbeaten run. Building up a gap of points in the top two from the chasing pack. Consistent defensively with lots of clean sheets and the best stats in so many areas from all 92 football clubs in England. I would say it's a good time to be a Brighton fan so enjoy what the lads are serving up to you

And as a footnote. The sending off helped make it look easy but we never got out od 2nd gear. Even with 11 men they rarely threatened. We won at a canter last night and could have stepped the pace up any time we wanted even if they had retained 11 men on the pitch - I for one am extremely happy with everyone's contribution to date this season.

Very much this, top post sir.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
He gave the ball away a huge number of times today, in risky positions on two occasions. A better side would've punished us for that. Decent at dead balls but our 4th best CM by some way.

Meanwhile Baldock was utterly different gravy, good to see Sky were paying attention.

A better side!!!!! Leeds are 4th!! Won 5 out of last 6 before we played them, bang in form and beat Aston villa last week!!!

Like u say say he is our 4th choice cm, more than acceptable for 4th choice!! only Newcastle have a better 4th choice cm in the championship.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Exactly. People still moaning. Go and watch someone else and drag them down FFS (especially the bloke that sits behind me).

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
If fairness there is still one place to fill, and that position is the Baldock role.

The difference being, the team would be fooked without Sam, and Sam's attributes, therefore it needs Baldock II, ideally a better Baldock.

Being shite scared every time one of our most valuable players, tackles or is tackled, knowing there's absolutely no back up for him, isn't healthy and certainly is Premier League ready.

Exactly so. Baldock has been highly effective in recent games. However his is the only position where we have no backup for long or even short-term injuries. Unless Towell could fill this role?He did score 25 goals ( OK for Dundalk) in the season before he joined us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Players need time to settle, Norwood has had very little game time and I thought he started off looking rusty but grew into the game. By the end he was making good passes, tackling well and looked very comfortable. I confess to scratching my head when I saw Sidwell had been dropped but by the end it was pretty clear what a good decision it was. Sidwell cannot play two games a week at his age.

Comparing Norwood to JFC is just plain bizarre

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I thought we looked as dangerous from set plays as we have all season. No coincidence that both pens came from desperate defending from corners.

Good delivery, pitiful goalkeeping and big strong CBs all played their part. Credit CH for targeting Green's weaknesses and ensuring all corners were inswingers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I heard an interview yesterday (I think with Gary Monk) who was saying the reason that Brighton are so tough to play against is that everyone trusts each other to do their jobs. This means we don't get dragged out of position. I thought that was quite interesting. From my own observation I think we absolutely do this as far as Dunk and Duffy are concerned - we often seem to make less attempt to stop crosses coming in than the opposition. Part of this could be that Bruno and Bong* are not great defensive full-backs, or it could simply be that we have so much faith in our centre backs (and keeper) that we don't feel the need to have two or three players on the opposition's wingers [*when playing]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here