Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib/Dems win Richmond Park.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
I happen to be close to the Goldsmith campaign and have a couple of points regarding his loss:-
1) He ran as an independent which put him at a significant disadvantage to the Lib Dems, a national party who poured all their resources into winning the seat, whereas he had a campaign office with 6 people working round the clock(post midnight home time became normal I hear) trying to get his message out. He relied on around 50/60 local people a day for deliveries and canvassing.
2) A 53% turnout hurt him. I'm convinced Zac would have won with a turnout closer to that of a GE. Low turnout obviously expected though.
3) The dirty tactics used by the Lib Dems was undemocratic. Taking Zac signs down etc.
4) The campaign very quickly became about brexit, rather than Heathrow, and with Zac being a leave it was always going to cost him.

Above all though, I really do believe Zac was one of the good guys in British politics who has always had the cloud of 'which family he came from' hanging over him. People seem to forget a child can't choose what family they're born into but a child can choose how they'll make a difference in this world and Zac certainly tried his best to get the Tories thinking about green policy etc. He genuinley does care about the environment and so should we all. We lost a noble politician today to someone who, judging by her radio interviews, really doesn't know what she's doing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just heard that interview. That was particularly awful. Her views were not very robust neither was she able to answer the absurdity of applying a principle towards one vote but not to another.

I happen to be close to the Goldsmith campaign and have a couple of points regarding his loss:-
1) He ran as an independent which put him at a significant disadvantage to the Lib Dems, a national party who poured all their resources into winning the seat, whereas he had a campaign office with 6 people working round the clock(post midnight home time became normal I hear) trying to get his message out. He relied on around 50/60 local people a day for deliveries and canvassing.
2) A 53% turnout hurt him. I'm convinced Zac would have won with a turnout closer to that of a GE. Low turnout obviously expected though.
3) The dirty tactics used by the Lib Dems was undemocratic. Taking Zac signs down etc.
4) The campaign very quickly became about brexit, rather than Heathrow, and with Zac being a leave it was always going to cost him.

Above all though, I really do believe Zac was one of the good guys in British politics who has always had the cloud of 'which family he came from' hanging over him. People seem to forget a child can't choose what family they're born into but a child can choose how they'll make a difference in this world and Zac certainly tried his best to get the Tories thinking about green policy etc. He genuinley does care about the environment and so should we all. We lost a noble politician today to someone who, judging by her radio interviews, really doesn't know what she's doing.

Ironic that he lost to a dirty Lib Dem campaign after his disgraceful campaign in London. A noble politician is one of the most laughable things I have read on here.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
nb21v.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I'm not sure if he smokes, but, I wouldn't blame Sadiq Khan if he put his feet up on his desk and lit a very big cigar today. Yep, "one of the good guys "

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Labour will be wiped off the political map if Berxit is not delivered,Conservative will be too (i am a blue) Lib Dem will replace Conservative as the remain Party of choice vs UKIP.....

all pure speculation of course.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Labour will be wiped off the political map if Berxit is not delivered,Conservative will be too (i am a blue) Lib Dem will replace Conservative as the remain Party of choice vs UKIP......

Far too simplistic. That assumes that the EU decision will determine which way everyone votes - there clearly will be some people who think that way but there will be many who won't. For example, if there were an election tomorrow I would vote for Caroline Lucas: her views on Europe are different from mine but I think she's been an excellent MP.

It's also far too simplistic to assume that Brexiters would support UKIP. I voted to leave but I wouldn't vote UKIP if it was the only party on the ballot paper. I know large numbers of people who voted to leave who have nothing but contempt for the party

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Just goes to show how FPTP distorts the voters wishes. Bring on STV and we would get a much more nuanced political system, instead of this binary in/out, left/right, right/wrong divisive mess we have.

UKIP would agree with you. 4 million plus votes and one MP but at least they topped the more nuanced European elections. I seem to remember another referendum where the UK public roundly rejected a chance to have a much more nuanced system. It is ironic that the Lib Dems who have long argued for a change to our voting system to something fairer/more representative are currently dismissing the ultimate expression of direct, fair democracy because they don't like the outcome.

Very progressive :lolol:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
So a lib dem MP wins a democratic vote on a ticket to ignore the result of another democratic vote. This take it or leave it form of democracy is really up the lib Dems street isn't it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So a lib dem MP wins a democratic vote on a ticket to ignore the result of another democratic vote. This take it or leave it form of democracy is really up the lib Dems street isn't it.

To be fair to her she had not a clue what she was standing for, judging by her interview. Dampened down a few early posts this morning, the glee that she had won Richmond when Labour are so far out of touch that you just grin at the name on the ballot paper and the Cons did not put up a candidate.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here