Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle at home likely to be moved back to later in the season?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure that all makes any sense.

Somebody suggested no fixtures on 3rd and 4th round dates but I said keep the 3rd for the cup as all teams take part in the cup but keep 4th round date for the cup but also available for teams to rearrange league fixtures if not involved in the cup still. Do not arrange any league fixtures for that day. We are playing Hudersfield away on a Thursday night and then Brentford on Sunday if both us and Brentford not still in the cup rearrange that to 4th round day.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Can I change it to 'my bet is the game will be played that weekend', Sky will want a Sunday match.
Prince, £5 to REMF?

Done! 3451a77acb7dbdf2ff36e3657aaa960b.png

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But, as I said above, they can only move with the permission of both clubs. BG is right, if the Newcastle players are at ACON and if Shelvey is suspended, we would be gagging to play the match on the right date

I'm fairly sure the clubs are not allowed to refuse Sky because of the League agreement with the tv company.

I'm sure we've had it happen in the last couple of years.
(Though I reckon it'd be tough to get Newcastle to agree if they're missing players due to the African Cup of Nations)

We have, although I can't remember exactly which fixture it was.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Somebody suggested no fixtures on 3rd and 4th round dates but I said keep the 3rd for the cup as all teams take part in the cup but keep 4th round date for the cup but also available for teams to rearrange league fixtures if not involved in the cup still. Do not arrange any league fixtures for that day. We are playing Hudersfield away on a Thursday night and then Brentford on Sunday if both us and Brentford not still in the cup rearrange that to 4th round day.

Kind of agreeing with BG here.
The games should be scheduled for the midweek before 4th round, with the option to move to the weekend if both clubs are out.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Do we care what Sky want we just need the 3 points.

Barber might think differently.

Barber would also want to original date, for sure. The whole club are together in the pursuit of promotion. Top to bottom.

Even if you want to cling to your jaundiced view of Barber as purely £ driven, do you think he personally stands to gain more in bonus payments if we get another Sky game, or if we get to the Premier League...?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm fairly sure the clubs are not allowed to refuse Sky because of the League agreement with the tv company.

Under the new rules agreed for this season, Sky have to give five weeks notice unless both clubs agree

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As a bye to all this, in 1979 both Brighton & Chelsea were knocked out in the third round and so a quick friendly was arranged at the Goldstone for 4th round day. The mighty Chelsea coming to little Brighton? Not really, Brighton went up that year replacing Chelsea who finished adrft at the bottom of the 1st Division.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sheesh. Why don't we all just wait and see what happens.

I looked this up before because kids want to go to an afternoon match in January for their Christmas present (that was my Christmas present in 1963 v Bristol Rovers) Parents asked which match to choose. In those days Third Round home ties came about once a decade and filled the Goldstone. Chelsea in 1967 (4th Round) and then a wait until Wolves in 1979. A very long wait.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/fixtures/

Newcastle is the only scheduled afternoon match but it was expected to be moved and tickets not yet available.

I do not know if any trains can be expected for 27 December 2016 vs QPR (12:30 pm).

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Not going to be THE game assumed on here. Newcastle bomb a la Hull last season, by end Jan after a long losing streak that knocks them of Sky perch, just about beat Macclesfield in 3rd round on pens in a replay while our reserves put up a magnificent display at a full strength Etihad/Stamford Bridge/Anfield/Emirates/ to lose very unluckily 2-1, and the Championship game is played in front of a half full Amex because we are looking forward to the more meaningful games against Burton and Ipswich.

As a bye to all this, in 1979 both Brighton & Chelsea were knocked out in the third round and so a quick friendly was arranged at the Goldstone for 4th round day. The mighty Chelsea coming to little Brighton? Not really, Brighton went up that year replacing Chelsea who finished adrft at the bottom of the 1st Division.

I have the one sheet programme from this but I'm not convinced it actually took place (I stand to be corrected)

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Cannot see the game being brought forward for Sky's benefit which would mean only 17 days to organise policing/transport/tickets for a 30,000 sell-out - always assuming neither side is involved in a replay which is quite possible our kids v. league 1 or the Bham Newc game. Both our which could easily be drawn.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously Sky thought it wouldnt happen on that date as it was surely one to be on TV. IMHO it will be put back until later in the season either 21st Feb or 14th March depending on European games being played on those dates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here