Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Younger Kids and Away Games – Advice Please

el punal

I took my son to the MK Dons away fixture last year and he found it all a bit overwhelming to be honest. He was only 5 and in the run up he had a lovely time but when we got in there he seemed to go into his shell. He found the screaming profanities a bit much to handle. We had some very pissed blokes around us and they just wouldn’t stop swearing. He’s no shrinking violate normally but found it all a bit much.

It’s almost a 8 months on, he’s now 6 and he has been to loads football games since and knows a bit more what to expect. That in mind and him pestering me I am going to take him to the Fulham game> As he’s never been to London we’ll make a day of it and go to the Natural History Museum in the Morning, pop for some lunch then on to the game.

I was wondering if anyone on here takes younger kids to away games regularly if they have any advice on what to do and not to do on away trips. I would like him to come to more away games as he's great company but am reluctant because of the MK Dons games. Thanks In Advance for all of your help.

To be honest I think taking a five year old to footie is probably a bit daunting for the little mite, be it home or away. I took my grandson to his first Albion game when he was six, we were in the family section in the East Stand. Although he quite enjoyed it, it was all a bit perplexing for him but at the end he said he'd love to go again. Well he's now eight, and has been the captain's mascot, and absolutely loves the Albion and can't wait to see them again. So from being a rather apprehensive six year old, scared of the noise, to two years on, a full on Seagulls fan. I will probably take him to a "friendly" away in the near future - Fulham could be a good shout.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
To be honest I think taking a five year old to footie is probably a bit daunting for the little mite, be it home or away. I took my grandson to his first Albion game when he was six, we were in the family section in the East Stand. Although he quite enjoyed it, it was all a bit perplexing for him but at the end he said he'd love to go again. Well he's now eight, and has been the captain's mascot, and absolutely loves the Albion and can't wait to see them again. So from being a rather apprehensive six year old, scared of the noise, to two years on, a full on Seagulls fan. I will probably take him to a "friendly" away in the near future - Fulham could be a good shout.

I took him to Ibrox to see Scotland v Georgia when he was 4. He's now 6 and been to at least 20 games in that time. Some games pass him by, where he'll spend a fair while people watching rather than the football, but more often than not now he's asking all the right questions and following the game.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford

Agree with all of that, waited until my eldest daughter was 7 before taking her to the Amex, now 11 she loves the chance to go and really enjoys the game.

el punal

Both my kids had been to over 6 countries before their first birthday. What you implying?

As for OP you will always find seats with a lesser chance of bumping into our brain dead contingent if you go the front rows. Unspoken rule that 15-50 years old wanna be nearer the back making the noise. He will have a good view and prob pensioners and kids around. You will be fine.

What's the unspoken rule about slightly*/very* pissed and boisterous pensioners near the back wanting to make noise? Do we get a discount? I smell ageism here. :cheers:

* Delete according to said level of inebriation.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I took him to Ibrox to see Scotland v Georgia when he was 4. He's now 6 and been to at least 20 games in that time. Some games pass him by, where he'll spend a fair while people watching rather than the football, but more often than not now he's asking all the right questions and following the game.
Why the f..ck would you put him through 90 mins of watching that shite, I thought you were trying to get him into football? :lolol:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
4000+ away fans will always mean a more lively atmosphere in the stand, either get in early and head down the front or get tickets in the neutral zone if you're that worried..

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Both my kids had been to over 6 countries before their first birthday. What you implying?

As for OP you will always find seats with a lesser chance of bumping into our brain dead contingent if you go the front rows. Unspoken rule that 15-50 years old wanna be nearer the back making the noise. He will have a good view and prob pensioners and kids around. You will be fine.

That you're a selfish inconsiderate c*nt that takes screaming babies on unnecessary plane trips making the journey a pain in the arse for other travellers in the immediate vicinity ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
All depends on the kid. I was pretty confident that my son would be ok going at five and he was. I realise some wouldn't be, but it's about knowing your own sprog isn't it. We went to the Amex and to Wednesday (LOL) and Leeds away when he was that age and he loved it.

Have to say that particularly at Leeds, other Albion fans were bloody brilliant with him. Making sure he could see, asking him things about the game etc. He's like a sport encyclopedia so it helps.

When Navarro scored the winner in injury time a bloke with his wife sat in front of us (who we'd been talking to at half time) turned round and picked the cheering nipper up celebrating. And then quickly put him down and apologised to me! All sound.

Some of the best days of my life have been taking him to football or cricket matches. Especially when it means getting the train, meeting loads of other fans, eating crap and drinking (me). Proper dad/son time.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Well, stopping short of leaving them in Kennels, I would not have had a holiday.

AKPUOgX.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here