Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas meal dillemma

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I may have misunderstood the amount of work involved to organise but if I was asked to pay an admin fee for a works do I'd probably question it. I'd understand if you were doing it all in your own time but sounds like you are doing during office hours???

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
So, for years I have organised the office meal. Half day off for those who attend and what started off at just 8 has escalated to 32 for the last couple of years.
Quite a bit of work goes into it, sourcing venue, collecting and paying deposits, communicating fayre with pub, collecting balance and providing attendees with the food choice on the day cos they get pissed or rabbit too much.
Now I have never asked for anything just a pint or two maybe, however this year I thought i would charge a couple of quid extra to cover a £40 tip and pay for my meal, I communictaed this as an "admin fee".
So today I ask for food choice and balance and I get one old hag (who has a gripe with me anyway) question the "admin fee" and after telling her, she refused to pay full cost, i.e. the extra couple of quid.
Fair enough I will give you back your deposit and someone can take your place I tell her.
Well after "copy all" to 32 she accuses me of work place bullying and unless I reinstate her at the price she is willing to pay i should expect a call from H R.
I am inclined to reinstate her, tell everyone to pay the price of the meal only , sort your own tips out, pay the pub the balance and **** off home.

What would you do?

Wrong Direction and I are lucky to get a cold mince pie so stop fecking moaning.

Wimmin are mental by the way:p

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I may have misunderstood the amount of work involved to organise but if I was asked to pay an admin fee for a works do I'd probably question it. I'd understand if you were doing it all in your own time but sounds like you are doing during office hours???

I can understand the issue. Probably wouldn't have called it an admin fee. Given the size of the party I'd have negotiated with the venue for 1 free meal, taken that yourself then paid for the rest.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Tell her to organise it (on the scale you were proposing) and that you would be more than happy to contribute to her meal. She'll soon back track, the miserable slag.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Have you not had much experience with HR people then?

There's no real issue, the price is set and if she doesn't pay up then she doesn't have to go. Surely that is her choice, but don't let her stinge and pay less than anyone else

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Thankfully i don't work in an office,however i have in the past and i might suggest you get a grip of this woman (maybe at the party-is she fit?) and yourself and deal with it.. failing that resign. :jester:

Smiley Miley

Jan 16, 2015
Felpham
The pub is 15 minutes in each direction, there goes my lunch break on, so far, seven occasions, so it is not all in work time.

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
I would prepare 2 emails, first to said lady only very polite but saying you are disappointed in her reaction and no longer feel able to organise the meal and that you think she would be ideal to take over. In the second email to everybody say that you no longer feel able to organise the meal and have handed over responsibility to said lady who you know will do a great job. Send the first email and immediately send the second email. Then walk over with any paper work put on her desk and say in a voice loud enough for colleagues to hear "here is paperwork you need, feel free to ask any questions. HR will struggle to get you on anything and she is lumbered with doing all the work you were doing for nothing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
tell the whole group that you have seen the light and are now a Jehovah Witness and therefore no longer celebrate Christmas. You are therefore unable to continue with the organisation of the event or able to attend.

This is a double win, because HR will not be able to come near you for fear of upsetting your new found religious belief and you can go and have a pint or two with some mates, while the group are having over cooked tasteless Christmas food.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I would prepare 2 emails, first to said lady only very polite but saying you are disappointed in her reaction and no longer feel able to organise the meal and that you think she would be ideal to take over. In the second email to everybody say that you no longer feel able to organise the meal and have handed over responsibility to said lady who you know will do a great job. Send the first email and immediately send the second email. Then walk over with any paper work put on her desk and say in a voice loud enough for colleagues to hear "here is paperwork you need, feel free to ask any questions. HR will struggle to get you on anything and she is lumbered with doing all the work you were doing for nothing.

Definitely THIS!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wrong Direction and I are lucky to get a cold mince pie so stop fecking moaning.

Wimmin are mental by the way:p

:lolol:
Don't know about you but when I read stories like the op's, I'm glad I don't work in an office.
I have my Christmas do in the cafe on my own, Billy no workmates.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've organized countless xmas meals in the past and would never dream of charging extra to pay for my meal. Fair enough about the tip but you should have been up front about it. You might have got away with them paying for your meal but you should have told them all first. Does anyone else realize they're paying for your meai?

As for the hag, I suspect every workplace has one so don't lose any sleep over it. The problem here is that you tried to get yourself a freebie.

It isn't hard sourcing venues. Christ, you only need a pub or hotel that does a xmas menu and can cater for 32. Loads around.

At the end of the day, if you had been fed up organizing it then you should have passed it on to someone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here