Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas meal dillemma

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.........a little bit of admin to book a party and expects everyone to pay for him? it's hardly that hard is it

What's the problem? It's only like a booking fee really, and we all know what a splendid idea they are, and wouldn't expect our beloved club - or concert promoters - to do any different, would we?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
What's the problem? It's only like a booking fee really, and we all know what a splendid idea they are, and wouldn't expect our beloved club - or concert promoters - to do any different, would we?

christmas party with colleagues? making money out of them?

yep, completely normal, of course.

he's a mean-minded dick

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Why anyone wants to go on an office meal/party/drinkies is beyond me. I have to suffer the place 8 hours a day, and I don't want to ruin my own time putting up with endless shop-talk and whinging.

Give in - refund the money - tell them they can stick their turkey - go home - never organise it again :flounce::flounce::flounce:

That way you can express your displeasure and retain the moral high ground of hurt indifference (although really you couldn't give a toss about those losers)

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Why anyone wants to go on an office meal/party/drinkies is beyond me. I have to suffer the place 8 hours a day, and I don't want to ruin my own time putting up with endless shop-talk and whinging.

Give in - refund the money - tell them they can stick their turkey - go home - never organise it again :flounce::flounce::flounce:

That way you can express your displeasure and retain the moral high ground of hurt indifference (although really you couldn't give a toss about those losers)
It must be a really miserable workplace if you can't go out for a meal and drink with your colleagues once a year.

Constantly puzzled by the whole thing, I'm not an unsociable sort of bloke and I have plenty enough friends but I have no desire to use up a precious evening drinking and eating with a group of people thrown together without any say or choice. I'll have plenty of "Christmas nights out" but they be with the long term friends, the lads n lasses from the football club or my wife, boy and rest of family. it might just be the fact that despite for working for one of the 100 biggest companies in the UK they tend to start arranging it about December the 14th so no wonder it's shit

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So, for years I have organised the office meal. Half day off for those who attend and what started off at just 8 has escalated to 32 for the last couple of years.
Quite a bit of work goes into it, sourcing venue, collecting and paying deposits, communicating fayre with pub, collecting balance and providing attendees with the food choice on the day cos they get pissed or rabbit too much.
Now I have never asked for anything just a pint or two maybe, however this year I thought i would charge a couple of quid extra to cover a £40 tip and pay for my meal, I communictaed this as an "admin fee".
So today I ask for food choice and balance and I get one old hag (who has a gripe with me anyway) question the "admin fee" and after telling her, she refused to pay full cost, i.e. the extra couple of quid.
Fair enough I will give you back your deposit and someone can take your place I tell her.
Well after "copy all" to 32 she accuses me of work place bullying and unless I reinstate her at the price she is willing to pay i should expect a call from H R.
I am inclined to reinstate her, tell everyone to pay the price of the meal only , sort your own tips out, pay the pub the balance and **** off home.

What would you do?

So how did the party go then ? did you end up going ? gossip ?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This is a marvellous thread. Highly enjoyable.

Getting colleagues to unknowingly pay for organisers meal, charging an admin fee and thinking that it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do - classic.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is a marvellous thread. Highly enjoyable.

Getting colleagues to unknowingly pay for organisers meal, charging an admin fee and thinking that it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do - classic.

I quite like how the thread started off with everyone mouthing off the woman who complained about the "admin fee." Then it took an amusing turn when people actually realised what he was doing. TEXTBOOK thread progression :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, so what happened?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here