Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever bumped into an ex player on holiday?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Tell the wife and let her handle the situation.

We both know that's probably the best and worst decision i.e. She'll be grown up about with me grinning like a village idiot behind her. But at the same time she won't understand or get the enormity of the situation and be completely underwhelmed. I was positively bursting to say "...but you're xxxxx" when we small talked at the bar tonight with him and his wife. So I'm still incognito. with this proper legend. It's going to look weird isn't it, a mid forties bloke saying "I used to play as you on the Commodore 64..." What should my opening line be? It's like a blind date!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ooh, I like to dust this one off now and again.

Teguisol Apartments, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, summer 2001. One evening I'm waiting at the bar to be served, and I glance down to my right and to my amazement, I clock this pair of Albion shorts with the Seagull badge on. I do a bit of a double-take, look up, and stood there next to me...its none other than OGH. Now bear in mind this is the season when we'd just CREAMED the 4th division as champions, and there I am, in a bar, stood there next to an Albion legend.

OBVIOUSLY I have to say something, so it goes something like "Gary Hart ??"
"Yes mate"
"Hahaaa...I'm an Albion fan, season ticket holder...AMAZING season mate" *gush gush*

Can't remember much else, other than regularly seeing OGH in the pool, in his No9 Albion shorts, towing his little girl around in her rubber dinghy. And his utterly HOT missus sunbathing nearby. I got a picture with him near the end of the holiday, with him holding up my little lad (of the time). Absolutely top bloke all round.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So I'm still incognito. with this proper legend. It's going to look weird isn't it, a mid forties bloke saying "I used to play as you on the Commodore 64..." What should my opening line be?
Say "I used to have a poster of you on my wall, but now I realise Liverpool are shit and I support the mighty Albion."

Not saying anything is just a dumb idea, you'll regret it.

Several options, like saying:
"When a fan recognises you, but you're trying to enjoy some peace, do you find it best if they keep their mouth shut?"
He might just say "yes" and you can laugh, and say "I won't mention the poster of you on my wall then" and carry on as if nothing happened.

or he might laugh and say he doesn't mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OBVIOUSLY I have to say something, so it goes something like "Gary Hart ??"
"Yes mate"
"Hahaaa...I'm an Albion fan, season ticket holder...
I think I heard you at the Fans Forum.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not me but my father attended a banquet in 1974 in Mauritius attended by both the Spurs and Southampton teams.
When he returned home on leave I got excited about this news, however my father is not a football fan and apparently spent the whole evening chatting to Richard Baker, the BBC news and Proms presenter about classical music and opera.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Bumped into Jeff Minton on a beach in Portugal in 98 he actually said hello to my Dad.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I bumped into Johann and Jordi Cruyff in the south of France many years ago

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Stockdale sometimes goes into the pet store a few doors down from my shop. Sidwell was in my local chippy Saturday evening he spoke to my son for a few moments seems a decent chap. He did mention the players had no idea about Calderwood going and Baldock really enjoyed his goal against Fulham .

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I've met a few ex Albion players and managers. The most humble and a man with a lot of humility and time for fellow albion fans is Liam Brady. I stood and spoke to him at Arsenal's training ground for about 30 minutes. He still lives in Hove and keeps a close eye on the club. He genuinely wants to see the club push on to greater things. I believe he has now fully retired from football after having knee replacement surgery. A top man is our Liam.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I work with two ex-Albion footballers and the office is like a bloody holiday camp ..... does that count ?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Flying back from Cyprus, was going to ask the big chappie in front (EasyJet....no Club Class here) to try and sit still not rocking back and forth. Only 114 capped Jason Leonard so I let him off.

Talking of Club, was coming back from Singapore, someone started moaning that the comp in-flight comfort socks were too small in the seat across the aisle. Bloody Scot moaning, sounded like Fergie.......only Gavin Hastings weren't it.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Me and a couple of mates bumped into Lee Steele in Las Vegas the day before the Hatton Vs Pacquiao fight. He was absolutely ****ed, we mentioned we were Brighton fans, had a brief chat and moved on.

Good memories, he was absolutely smashed to pieces 😂

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Dave Beasant walking down goring road shops about 25 years ago.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
One summer evening in 1979, I was on school holidays, I walked the mile or so from my home with my sister up to North Portslade, we knocked on a door in a close near to Portslade Community College, and asked the fella who lived there for an autograph. Peter Ward, for it was he, said yes. When I met him in a pub in Crowborough some 30 years later, he didn't remember the incident, so fickle some of these players. #onetruelegend

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
I'm trying to recall, would have been the summer of 1971 or 2. The family holiday to the caravan park in selsey. Sat eating breakfast and my old man was bitching about some ass moving into the caravan next door late at night and continually revving his engine and apparently it was some flash git with a triumph stag. I jumped out of the caravan, well seeing a triumph stag close up was a real eye opener for an 11 year old from a council estate. So as i was admiring the sleek lines of the car the owner appeared and basically told me to get away from his car ... said owner was a Mr Alan Hudson. Bloke was a dick-traitor

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Not on holiday but use to see Chris Catlin every morning for 4 years when I worked on woodland drive. Lovely bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here