Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eye on the Championship 25-28 November

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can't see Huddersfield being a threat even for top six. I can't see Reading carrying this over for a whole season either. Villa and Derby are, in my opinion, the threats.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I can't see Huddersfield being a threat even for top six. I can't see Reading carrying this over for a whole season either. Villa and Derby are, in my opinion, the threats.

Agree Hudders and Derby but think Reading will be there or there abouts and Villa too far off to be a threat unless we implode.

Wednesday have an interesting December, 4 games I'd chalk up as wins but the other 2 are away at Reading and Newcastle ... could make or break any top 2 aspirations

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Tough week for Newcastle this week, Away to Hull in the QF of the EFL cup tomorrow, and then play Away at Forest on Friday night. If the QF goes the distance it will have an impact on Friday. Rafa must know now that he can't afford too many rotations in his squad and expect to win games in the championship.

Nice precedent - Norwich played 120 mins and then lost on pens in the last round. The subsequent match was at the Amex, and that went well for them. Newcastle have a strong enough squad, they (and Hull) will play a second string.

PG

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Agree Hudders and Derby but think Reading will be there or there abouts and Villa too far off to be a threat unless we implode.

Wednesday have an interesting December, 4 games I'd chalk up as wins but the other 2 are away at Reading and Newcastle ... could make or break any top 2 aspirations

Villa are one point behind Derby, with a hefty amount of the season to go.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Nice precedent - Norwich played 120 mins and then lost on pens in the last round. The subsequent match was at the Amex, and that went well for them. Newcastle have a strong enough squad, they (and Hull) will play a second string.

PG

They made 6 changes for the game on Saturday against Blackburn, I imagine that was a lot of their 2nd string. They may think there is a good chance of a cup semi-final here, and then who knows. Rafa may be prepared to sacrifice a few league points for a shot at a cup? Be interesting to see if the 6 rested players play tomorrow.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Beyond our result, this weekend's fixtures haven't gone well for us. I'm less concerned about Newcastle losing, as I still suspect that they'll run away with it (and I'd rather they dropped points against relegation stragglers). I'm more concerned about all those other teams around us and those under-performing over-the-season rivals (Derby and, especially, Villa) all winning. Put like that, about the only decent result was a Norwich loss, although a draw would have been better in that game.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Looking at fixture lists is a mugs game really in this division.

Indeed. On Thursday I'm sure no one thought all the teams directly under us would all pick up points but neither did they think we'd be two points behind Newcastle come Sunday.

It's wonderfully difficult to predict.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
They made 6 changes for the game on Saturday against Blackburn, I imagine that was a lot of their 2nd string. They may think there is a good chance of a cup semi-final here, and then who knows. Rafa may be prepared to sacrifice a few league points for a shot at a cup? Be interesting to see if the 6 rested players play tomorrow.

I thought that was odd. Assumed the league would be their priority and they would rest players for the cup. Maybe Benitez assumed that his 2nd string would be good enough to beat Blackburn. Only shows that you can't put out a weakened team against any team in this league.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Beyond our result, this weekend's fixtures haven't gone well for us. I'm less concerned about Newcastle losing, as I still suspect that they'll run away with it (and I'd rather they dropped points against relegation stragglers). I'm more concerned about all those other teams around us and those under-performing over-the-season rivals (Derby and, especially, Villa) all winning. Put like that, about the only decent result was a Norwich loss, although a draw would have been better in that game.

You are going to get days like that. It happens. If we keep on winning, there's no way we can lose points compared to other teams.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I would say it was Newcastle missing just Lascelles and Gayle from their first choice team. Newcastle seem to be keeping clear of injuries.

Fashion is to boost Newcastle up saying how good they are (further to fall) and ignore their "obvious" weaknesses at full backs.

Last season after 18 games: http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/2015-2016/table/2015-11-28

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've put a tenner on Nakhi Wells first scorer (4/1) tonight.

Takes penalties although a bit surprised he's only got four league goals this season considering 'udders good start to the season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've put a tenner on Nakhi Wells first scorer (4/1) tonight.

Takes penalties although a bit surprised he's only got four league goals this season considering 'udders good start to the season.

Have a look at Philip Billing? Not sure Huddersfield are going to fall away. Reading might.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Beyond our result, this weekend's fixtures haven't gone well for us.
Yep, I'm happy with Norwich's loss to Derby. Had Norwich won, they'd be a lot closer and with hope of turning their form around. Derby could of course catch us, but had Norwich won, I think they'd be the bigger threat.

The big thing however, is that we somehow managed to win. That was a really big 3 points IMO.

I'd also like to pay tribute to David Button. I think his time wasting turned the game around. He was doing it in the first half, then when he continued at the start of the second, the crowd were on him and the subsequent yellow card got the crowd going. We got better from there and our fortune changed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep, I'm happy with Norwich's loss to Derby. Had Norwich won, they'd be a lot closer and with hope of turning their form around. Derby could of course catch us, but had Norwich won, I think they'd be the bigger threat.

The big thing however, is that we somehow managed to win. That was a really big 3 points IMO.

I'd also like to pay tribute to David Button. I think his time wasting turned the game around. He was doing it in the first half, then when he continued at the start of the second, the crowd were on him and the subsequent yellow card got the crowd going. We got better from there and our fortune changed.

Give credit to the referee for that too, as he actually produced the card rather than ignoring it, or giving numerous warnings without ultimately doing anything about it. But you're right about the crowd, after a particularly quiet first half, we did manage to get going a bit before the goal in the second.
Still think it was a great game of football. Not so sure we deserved to win, but winning when the opposition play better than you is not a bad tool to have in the kit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Chris Martin seemed to fail to notice Button's time-wasting.

I say this because, later in the game when Stockdale was on a bit of a go-slow, he was counting seconds on his fingers to try and make a point to the ref.

In what was quite a niggly game, Martin's primary aged school kid style of counting was right up there with their manager throwing the ball to Hughton late in the game, again trying to make a point about time-wasting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here