Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Certainly these days you would hope less goes on, but you are correct the DBS is effectively worthless and only means they have not been caught yet.....

I can't and don't take a boy to a game or training now without a text or email from the parent to give me some fall back in case of accusation.. word of mouth means nothing and that's even if my boy is also in the car with me.

This is what they advise you to do on the Level 1 coaching badge, 1 whole day of the 4 sundays is dedicated to child protection.

Its a sad world at times.
    I have to give it to you Mr Hughton, you are a far better Manager than I ever thought.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Certainly these days you would hope less goes on, but you are correct the DBS is effectively worthless and only means they have not been caught yet.....

I can't and don't take a boy to a game or training now without a text or email from the parent to give me some fall back in case of accusation.. word of mouth means nothing and that's even if my boy is also in the car with me.

Its a sad world at times.

Its a small price to pay, reasonable youth coaches like you (I can only assume as I dont know you ;) ) are able to function within these appropriate guidelines without too much disruption.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
      As a coach of an u10s team I suspect and worry the problem could well be far worse at grass roots level
      Hopefully these days the child protection measures that have been put in place will reduce the risk of such a thing happening again.

When I was coaching if one of the young kids needed to go off to the toilet, we always made sure that there were two coaches / assistants with the child. If a second coach / assistant was not available then we always asked a parent to accompany us. Unfortunately, as the kids get older, the parents and helpers start to disappear and the coaches often end up looking after groups of kids on their own which makes it harder to enforce such measures.

You would hope all clubs follow this
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      I hope so, however as you and I know Bennell would of probably cleared any DBS clearance anyway even in todays environment, assuming he hadnt been prosecuted for his previous abuse.

My point was that although I suspect there will be more to come out, my own personal experience going through youth level to senior level was a very enjoyable and safe experience.
      That would apply to the experience of the vast majority, of course. I have absolutely no sympathy with those who abused children, and hope that they get all that they deserve. I was a football coach and teacher for many years, but, seeing what has happened in schools, once the zealots get hold of this, I fear that youth coaches, professional clubs etc will have all sorts of totally-over-the-top regulations forced upon them, whereby they have to pass ever complicated "audits" and adhere to 30 page advisory documents. I was at a school the other day, and after being allowed to drive in, once the gate had been finally opened, I had to pass through three electronic doors in the space of 5 yards. And then, if you question the necessity of such measures, there is always the good old riposte, that you are not taking safeguarding seriously. football clubs - you are next in line.

1 Not allowed!
      As other posters have intimated, only those who know they are going to pass a crb/crc check will apply for one. It's not until someone is "caught" that they will appear on a register. Having been involved in youth football for 30 years, it is the biggest concern any of us has, because the clubs are ultimately responsible to the kids and their parents. It is nothing new - there were pervs around when I was young in the 50s and 60s - you just hope that more people are aware these days and you pray that parents talk to their kids about it in order that it gets reported appropriately. Kids need to understand that they need to report this stuff to stop it happening to others. The mechanisms are in place to deal with it once reported.
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...payments-keep/

Top club made payments to keep victims quiet.
      Everything in Moderation Prince Monolulu's Avatar

I gotta Horse!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Swillis View Post
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...payments-keep/

Top club made payments to keep victims quiet.
      Oh shit. That could easily be the blue touchpaper. This whole thing is about to really explode a la Savile.
      6EQUJ5 2A
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      Oh shit. That could easily be the blue touchpaper. This whole thing is about to really explode a la Savile.
      I simply cannot comprehend how there seems to be so many nonces about, it blows my mind. Just unbelievable.