Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only The Daily Mail...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And you arrived at this conclusion how ?

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/cp420.pdf

"But as the access of immigrants and
ethnic minorities to social housing
improved, the stock of social housing was
not increased. Indeed, as Figure 3 shows,
construction of social housing has
dropped to a very low level. So necessarily,
the improved access for immigrants and
ethnic minorities coincided with reduced
access for natives. It is plausible that this
change is what led to the widespread
perception of discrimination against
white natives. "

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you believe as I do that Mair is a deranged individual and some kind of neo nazi, why wouldnt this be a likely trigger, irrespective of whether it might be accurate or not.

It beggers belief that you and others can jump from this to the Mail must be implying something more sinister as if somehow loads of white van men are reading it and saying yep I am with Mair on this one.

Its condescending nonesense.

There was no medical evidence that he was deranged.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Cold, calculating, evil, but not mentally disturbed. His defence would have used it for mitigating circumstances, if it was so.

Within the arguments of law you are entirely correct but the assumption among 'lay people' would be 'there's something wrong with that one' Deranged behavior has many labels and medical descriptions. Take your pick.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Within the arguments of law you are entirely correct but the assumption among 'lay people' would be 'there's something wrong with that one' Deranged behavior has many labels and medical descriptions. Take your pick.

Then by that extension, all killers are deranged. Which is fine if you extend this belief to other perpetrators of terrorist offences in this country. The Daily Mail doesn't.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The hyphen is a disgrace. It reads like Jo Cox wouldn't help him, not that he thought she wouldn't help him.

It's a sickening article. They could have put 'and that the MP wouldn't help him'. Even then.

'Kirklees Council were contacted over Mair’s case'. WHY ? It's as if they are searching for a justification.

Of course, had this been a person of foreign parentage such reasoning and attempts to understand would have been seen as whimsy appeasing and apologetics.

Slowly these publications are pushing the boundaries further.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Then by that extension, all killers are deranged. Which is fine if you extend this belief to other perpetrators of terrorist offences in this country. The Daily Mail doesn't.

The correct answer and the conclusion that news feed readers (whoever the publisher may be) will come to. The media can infer what they like and often do.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's a sickening article. They could have put 'and that the MP wouldn't help him'. Even then.

'Kirklees Council were contacted over Mair’s case'. WHY ? It's as if they are searching for a justification.

Of course, had this been a person of foreign parentage such reasoning and attempts to understand would have been seen as whimsy appeasing and apologetics.

Slowly these publications are pushing the boundaries further.

Oh do get over yourself, its an article that quite clearly offers reference to his xenophobic, racist, neo nazi mentality and how this may well have been the trigger to his crime

Give others a little bit more credit, similar perhaps to what you afford yourself, you're trying too hard mate.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Oh do get over yourself, its an article that quite clearly offers reference to his xenophobic, racist, neo nazi mentality and how this may well have been the trigger to his crime

You're right, in fact it dominates the article. So why does the headline not really reflect that?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You're right, in fact it dominates the article. So why does the headline not really reflect that?

Who FFS cares, ask the headline writer, I dunno, if they had any inclination to do what you guy's keep shrieking saying they are trying to do why then fill up the article with the denegration of his character.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Who FFS cares, ask the headline writer, I dunno, if they had any inclination to do what you guy's keep shrieking saying they are trying to do why then fill up the article with the denegration of his character.

Because it would be impossible not to, they're not stupid, far from it.

However, the headline and the first part of the article (which a lot of readers don't go past) almost exclusively talk about the housing/ immigrant issue.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yep, the headline is a disgrace. The Daily Mail is a disgrace.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Because it would be impossible not to, they're not stupid, far from it.

However, the headline and the first part of the article (which a lot of readers don't go past) almost exclusively talk about the housing/ immigrant issue.

But that was the story, that it was perhaps the trigger, there isnt any mileage in justifying his action, its a heinous crime, there isn't any feeling from anyone that perhaps he had some valid reason or Jo Cox might have had some level of culpability, I cannot comprehend how you see these things in some low level article outlining what we already know.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Fair point, I'll clarify.

- Was there a possibility the house could have been given to a family of immigrants? Yes there was.
- Was that possibility more likely than it being given to a non-immigrant family? No it wasn't.

But my point really is that regardless of that, in the context of this crime, does it really matter?

The actual reply to both of those questions should be "We don't know, and even if we did it is irrelevant". Whatever the responses, they are still no excuse, justification or reason for murder.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But that was the story, that it was perhaps the trigger, there isnt any mileage in justifying his action, its a heinous crime, there isn't any feeling from anyone that perhaps he had some valid reason or Jo Cox might have had some level of culpability, I cannot comprehend how you see these things in some low level article outlining what we already know.

It's odd isn't it that this thing that might be the trigger, that hasn't been reported anywhere else, that is tenuous at best seems to be the kind of thing that the DM was banging on about in the lead up to the referendum . The kind of thing the DM talks about on a regular basis. The kind of thing they know flies well with their readership.

I think the Mail knows it's on dodgy ground with Mair, I think they know they went too far pre-referendum (they weren't the only paper that did but they are the only pseudo-serious, well read paper that did), I think they know that the vile environment engendered by the referendum that they did so much to foster, may well have been influential in the mind of this man and I think they are embarrassed and a little bit scared. Hence page 30, hence this claptrap about Mair's house.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having cartoons with Nazi imagery may or may not upset our Google Ads bots. I'm not taking the risk of finding out though, so this thread is being shifted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here