Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Gill

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The Inspiral Carpets were one of two bands that I can genuinely consider that I "was in to". I was taken to see them in 1988 as a student in Hull by a house-mate who was heavily into his music, and ended up watching them 5 times over the next 4 years.. I can't believe that Craig Gill was 3 years younger than me.. he must only have been 16 when I saw him 1st!! 44 is no age at all, music hero or not.. RIP

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just seen this on the Beeb. Same age as me. One of my favourite bands as a young 'un and "Joe" is still on the classics Sonos playlist I have that gets an airing almost every time I cook a roast. RIP Gilly. I feel REALLY old :(

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Inspiral Carpets were one of two bands that I can genuinely consider that I "was in to". I was taken to see them in 1988 as a student in Hull by a house-mate who was heavily into his music, and ended up watching them 5 times over the next 4 years.. I can't believe that Craig Gill was 3 years younger than me.. he must only have been 16 when I saw him 1st!! 44 is no age at all, music hero or not.. RIP

yes, I think he was 14 when he joined the band, quite a shock tbh, wonder what happened to him?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't know them that well, as I was pretty young at the time. Will give them a listen tonight. What are peoples thoughts on the best album, or best album to listen to first?

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
RIP

'Life' must have been one of the last cassette albums I bought and I still haven't chucked it.

Life.JPG

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They also did one of, if not the, coolest kids TV themes ever.......................

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Used to love their t-shirts too. Anyone got an original of this?

View attachment 79643
They either headlined or were penultimate act at Reading one year.
The stage had a fair few cardboard cows which found their way into the crowd.

Much merriment was had that night, by the 'rustlers', as they paraded their trophies around the campsite.

The Carpets and The Charlatans were Madchester (pretty shite word) for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a couple of covers:-

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
They either headlined or were penultimate act at Reading one year.
The stage had a fair few cardboard cows which found their way into the crowd.

Much merriment was had that night, by the 'rustlers', as they paraded their trophies around the campsite.

The Carpets and The Charlatans were Madchester (pretty shite word) for me.

Loved that t-shirt it was outrageous at the time. I worked in Our Price Churchill Square and loads of people asked for them, not that we sold them - pre-internet days and all that. RIP great band and great times

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That would have been Reading 1990:-

98cc964d39c007cf409364300e94258e.jpg

(spot the poster who's had an Inspiral afternoon)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I was at that Reading did they come on with a marching band?

You're pushing your luck now.

I know for a fact 20 year old Stat was there.
But beyond a vague recognition of the The Cramps, the cows and maybe some footballs, I've got nothing!

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Don't know them that well, as I was pretty young at the time. Will give them a listen tonight. What are peoples thoughts on the best album, or best album to listen to first?

Like most bands, the debut album is the best listen, 'Life' in this case. I also highly recommend the 'Cool as F***' EP which I remember the NME listing among the top 50 singles of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here