Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] MANAGERS' VIEWS: HUGHTON AND BRUCE

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
The two managers reflect on Friday's game.

CHRIS HUGHTON expressed his frustration at losing Colin Calderwood from his coaching staff, but insists his focus is now on finding a replacement.Albion’s former assistant manager was put on gardening leave, and is expected to join last night’s opponents Aston Villa, who shared a 1-1 draw against the Seagulls at the Amex.
Hughton said, “I’m very disappointed and surprised, particularly with it being at this stage of the season, but these things happen in football and you have to move on.
“My understanding is that a deal has been done and he’s free to join Villa whenever he can.
“The club tried very hard to persuade him to stay, but that wasn’t enough and he chose to leave, and as a club, we couldn’t do anything about it.
“But the past is the past, and now my concentrations are on Saturday’s game [v Fulham] and thinking about a new staff member.”
Hughton was slightly frustrated at the manner of Villa’s opening goal, but praised his team for drawing level, and felt either team could have snatched a second-half winner.
“It was a scrappy goal, it caught Stocko [David Stockdale] a little bit unexpected, as it wasn’t really a clean header.
“But these things happen, we did show good character to get back in the game, and Glenn’s [Glenn Murray] strike was obviously a super goal.
“The game then changed in the second half, and if there was one team that looked like they’d go on to win it, it was us, but they were better at the end of the game.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK*

STEVE BRUCE felt his team’s performance at the Amex was the best of the season, and was left frustrated that his side couldn’t secure maximum points.The Villans have made a slow start to life in the Sky Bet Championship, but Bruce highlighted the positive nature of his team’s display against the Seagulls.
He said, “I was delighted with our performance but a tad disappointed that we didn’t see it through.
“It’s easily the best performance we’ve produced especially considering who we were up against.
“The players have been much maligned but they showed exactly what they’re capable of, which is good to see.”
Bruce believes his team are starting to show signs of their quality, but understands there is a lot of work to be done, as the West Midlands club look to climb the league table.
“The club and the players have had a kicking and a bashing for a long time, but slowly there are shoots of recovery.
“That’s all it is. We’ve got a lot of work to do and we can’t get carried away just because we’ve had a good six weeks.
“I think we are now realising what the Championship is and if you’re not genuine or honest, whether you’re Aston Villa or any team in this league, you will get turned over.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here